Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just sent the following e-mail to Electrify America after some phone sessions with their support folks. The contents are, I think, self-explanatory. The TL;DR summary: if you're a Canadian it seems like it's not possible to create an account with a valid payment method (which means the account is useless), so if you have an existing account then you'd better not delete it...

Solution found! The problem with setting up a payment method is that the EA app only accepts a 5-digit US ZIP code and not a Canadian postal code with letters and digits. The solution is the same one you use at a US gas pump when it asks for your ZIP code - you enter the three numeric digits of your postal code followed by "00". That (along with your other credit card info) allows you to set up the payment method.
Good morning. I'm a Canadian living in Vancouver BC. A little over 3 years ago I created an Electrify America account using the EA web site using the email address "xxxxxxxxxxxxx" so that I would be able to use your EV charging network when I went on occasional trips to the US. I downloaded the EA app for my phone and was able to successfully charge at EA sites in Seattle (this was in pre-COVID times).

I am in the process of switching Internet Service Providers, so I needed to be able to change my e-mail address. The EA web site no longer seems to have any way to access my account, and the EA app on my phone had no way to change the e-mail address, so I called your support number and was told that I'd have to delete my old account and create a new one using the new e-mail address.

I deleted the old account using the EA app, and created a new account with my new email address of "yyyyyyyyyyyyyy". I received a verification email, clicked the link, and the account now seems to be activated.

But unfortunately, I'm unable to set up a payment method using my credit card because the EA phone app requires me to enter a 5-digit numeric zip code, and there's no way to enter my Canadian 6-character alphanumeric postal code (see attachment).

I've been told by a support rep that Canadian credit cards can't be used with an EA account (although they can be swiped at the charging stations themselves).

Why are Canadians no longer able to have Electrify America accounts?
Font Rectangle Line Material property Screenshot

·
Registered
587 Posts
Gosh I hope that is all fake data.

Is there a similar ElectrifyAmerica.CA website? I assume they can't verify international purchases easily. You'd get gigged on exchange.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gosh I hope that is all fake data.
Well, duh. Of course it is. Or if it does happen to be real, then at least it's not mine... :eek:

Is there a similar ElectrifyAmerica.CA website? I assume they can't verify international purchases easily. You'd get gigged on exchange.
There's a completely separate network called Electrify Canada that was borne from the ashes of the VW settlement here in Canada. I have an account with them and have charged at their sites here in British Columbia, no problem. But the Electrify Canada account does not work with Electrify America chargers, nor vice versa.

Payment is via VISA, which handles international transactions transparently. Yes, there is a small exchange rate premium, but it's better than what you'd get at something like a foreign currency exchange. Canadian VISA cards work at all US locations that accept VISA (and American cards work similarly up here in Canada).

I use my Canadian VISA card with all kinds of American businesses. I have online subsciptions to multiple American publications, I make online purchases from American sellers, and I have accounts with other American EV charging networks such as EVgo, Chargepoint and Blink. There's no reason why Electrify America couldn't use my Canadian VISA card as the payment method for my account - as they have done in the past - other than that their current app won't accept my Canadian postal code.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Silly question, but can’t your enter any zip code? Depending on the level of validation (ie more validation = more expensive for the merchant) a Canadian credit card would be recognized as an “international” credit card by the processor and any address fields wouldn’t be validated.
I’ve most commonly used “90210” as my zip code when I’m not allowed to enter a Canadian postal code.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt 1LT
26 Posts
Silly question, but can’t your enter any zip code? Depending on the level of validation (ie more validation = more expensive for the merchant) a Canadian credit card would be recognized as an “international” credit card by the processor and any address fields wouldn’t be validated.
I’ve most commonly used “90210” as my zip code when I’m not allowed to enter a Canadian postal code.
I suspect the your zip code is needed to verify your billing address, so likely no.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Silly question, but can’t your enter any zip code?I’ve most commonly used “90210” as my zip code when I’m not allowed to enter a Canadian postal code.
Yeah, I tried putting in the zip code for Blaine, WA which is the closest one to me, but it didn't work. As SpaDogs mentioned the zip code is used to authenticate the billing info.

But I really want to thank you for asking this question and for SpaDog's comment as well, because they reminded me that service stations in the US have the same issue - when you use your VISA card you have to enter your ZIP code as a kind of PIN. For us Canadians there's a workaround - you enter just the 3 digits of your alphanumeric postal code followed by "00".

So I went back to the EA app and tried this - and it worked! So now I'm all set up.

:D:D:D

·
Registered
916 Posts
Where in Canada are you seeing EA booths? Never seen one anywhere.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The closest one to me is in Blaine WA, about 45 miles away. If you guys ever open your border back up then I might even get down there to use it...

Edit: Oh, you're a Canadian, d'oh! Let me rephrase:

If those guys ever open their border back up then I might even get down there to use it...

Actually, I see that this might happen in November...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well we in Canada don’t have Electrify America but it’s small sibling Electrify Canada and they’re pretty much limited to BC and Ontario for the most part.

Here in BC I’ve seen them in Canadian Tire and Superstore parking lots.

Ecoregion World Map Line Atlas

·
Registered
916 Posts
Ah that would explain it as I live in Ontario at the Niagra escarpment area.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Hybrids and BEVs are great at border crossings, minimal/no emissions!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts