Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we're having our first snowfall here in Vancouver, and as is typical for us it's a wet, sloppy mess. I was out driving my 2017 Bolt today and I frequently had to use the front and back window defoggers and a lot of heat to keep the windows clear. When I got out of the car I noticed a veneer of wet sticky snow on the front of the car and realized that I ought to clear off the front camera. But when I went to do so I noticed that there was about 1 or 2 square inches around the camera that were miraculously clear of snow...

(That camera is really reminiscent of HAL...)

Does anyone know if the camera is heated? Perhaps when you use the rear window defogger like the side mirrors are? If so, that would be very cool.

·
Registered
671 Posts
It isn't cold enough here but turn it on and go put your finger on it.
If it is, they should make the Headlights heated as well !
I had to stop one evening because the sticky snow was covering the headlights and you could tell by the dimness.

edit, I just went out and turned on my rear defrost and front defrost. neither heated the front camera. Not sure if you need to turn it on longer but for 3 min it didn't

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I answered my own question by going out to the garage this morning with my IR thermometer. I pointed it at the front camera and at a point about a foot or two to the right of it and got a couple of readings that were around -1.5C. Then I turned on the car with HVAC off and steering wheel and rear defogger on and let it sit for around 10 minutes (long enough that the defogger turned itself off automatically).

When I came back to the car the front camera registered around 6.5C and the point to its right was around -0.5C.

So it seems pretty conclusive that either the camera has a built-in heater or it's operation generates enough heat on its own to produce a temperature rise of several degrees C. Very cool!

I wouldn't count on it to work in temperatures that are substantially below freezing, but here in relatively balmy Vancouver it's probably pretty effective much of the time.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Try doing it again with just running the car, no defog on. See what it is in 10 - 15 min. I am curious. I would check here but it seems Winter is not coming this year... it is 65ºF right now :cautious:
I really don't think they were smart enough to put on a heater
Course, since you are a wee bit north of me, maybe they have that up in Canada but not sure why they didn't include that in Northeastern US

·
Registered
17 Posts
So we're having our first snowfall here in Vancouver, and as is typical for us it's a wet, sloppy mess. I was out driving my 2017 Bolt today and I frequently had to use the front and back window defoggers and a lot of heat to keep the windows clear. When I got out of the car I noticed a veneer of wet sticky snow on the front of the car and realized that I ought to clear off the front camera. But when I went to do so I noticed that there was about 1 or 2 square inches around the camera that were miraculously clear of snow...

View attachment 28033

(That camera is really reminiscent of HAL...)

Does anyone know if the camera is heated? Perhaps when you use the rear window defogger like the side mirrors are? If so, that would be very cool.
Rear defogger defrosts the side mirrors???!? I have to go back and RTFM that’s been a huge pain for me! Is it true?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts