Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It doesn't heat all around it. On the stitching it is still cold and spotty where it starts to heat up.
Not an issue with leather gloves but in bare hands I am not liking it so much.

Anyone else notice this ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
There are definitely spots that heat quicker and reach a higher temperature, but I have been happy in -10C with it (bare hands). I did notice that it 'seemed' to get cool if my hands were in the same position for awhile - once I moved my hands, it 'seemed' more hot, but then I'd move back to the original position and it felt the same. I think my hands were just adjusting to the temperature. Maybe something similar is happening for you.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Mine is very even, I love it!

Use it all the time.....

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
The heat band is concentrated on the outside rim of the steering wheel, and it has a relatively low thermal mass so that it tends to cool off when you put your cold hands on it. So I'm in the habit of repositioning my hands a lot to extract as much warmth as possible.

It's not perfect, but boy oh boy is it ever better than all of my previous cars!

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
936 Posts
The heat band is concentrated on the outside rim of the steering wheel, and it has a relatively low thermal mass so that it tends to cool off when you put your cold hands on it. So I'm in the habit of repositioning my hands a lot to extract as much warmth as possible.

It's not perfect, but boy oh boy is it ever better than all of my previous cars!
For those curious that design is on purpose. It keeps the steering wheel from being able to burn your hands, get too hot or get uncomfortable. At least that is what I read on another forum from someone who said they worked in car interior design. They said it working like that was intentional so that a heated steering wheel never became a hazard. That it wouldn't burn, make your hands sweat or cause it to be uncomfortable enough that you don't want to hold the steering wheel properly.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, mine are cold along the seam on the inner side of the steering wheel. But hot on most of the outer wheel. To the point that you don't want to wrap your fingers all around it as the out side is hot and inside is freezing.

It does get hot, almost too hot to hold your hands there in the same spot for over say 4-6 minutes.

I will see if this corrects itself when it gets cold again, Maybe it was a fluke that few days.
Temp lately is in the 50's for a week and then 30's for one day

·
Registered
293 Posts
On the LEAF, the heated wheel rapidly cycles on to **scalding** hot, and then cycles off for 20 minutes plus.

Now we are nostalgic for burnt hands.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I love it, never had any heated wheel ever before. I'm not even in an area where it gets cold. My hands suck all the heat out of a spot, then I move them.. rinse repeat. Sure its not even, but compared to what I had before its great! One of the many unnecessary bloatware features on the Bolt I wished I didn't like so much.

All this feedback is subjective cause of each individual's body obviously.. but man, all good here.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tried it out again today. Figured out that the seam doesn't heat up at all.

I wrap my fingers all the way around so that the finger tip pads go right where the seams are........ yeah I know weird.

Anyway it is not comfortable when it is freezing and the rest if hot

·
Registered
78 Posts
My only complaint is with the chrome trim bits. They don’t heat up at all, so you end up with a super cold strip, right next to the nicely heated wheel. It does help to keep one awake on cold mornings, though. :eek:

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
My only complaint is with the chrome trim bits. They don’t heat up at all, so you end up with a super cold strip, right next to the nicely heated wheel. It does help to keep one awake on cold mornings, though. :eek:
Yeah, my hands get all nice and toasty holding the rim, and then when I go to push one of the steering wheel buttons I always get this weird impression that they're being actively cooled somehow..!

·
Registered
Bolt Lt, 2017
39 Posts
Love the heated steering wheel. Used it all winter in my 2013 Leaf, although it was really very warm for about 20 minutes. Then it would cycle on and off. By comparison, the Bolt steering wheel heater is noticeably not as warm and mine only heats the bottom half of the steering wheel (4 & 8 o'clock mostly for my hands). On the up side it stays on and does not seem to cycle on and off. Would have liked it more if it was the top half that was heated. Still, it is a great feature.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
...the Bolt steering wheel heater is noticeably not as warm and mine only heats the bottom half of the steering wheel (4 & 8 o'clock mostly for my hands). On the up side it stays on and does not seem to cycle on and off. Would have liked it more if it was the top half that was heated. Still, it is a great feature.
The steering wheel on my Premiere Bolt is heated all the way around, at least on the outer rim. But not along the inner circumference where the leather stitching is. If you're not getting heat all the way around then you should think about taking it to the dealer and inquiring about it.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
First cold and snowy night here on Long Island, steering wheel heater works great, no issues at all.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Just drive my F250 Super Duty work truck; the steering wheel has a huge thermal mass and stays so cold, on below-freezing starts, one must wear gloves for the first half-hour. The Bolt heated wheel, by comparison, is magic.

jack vines

·
Registered
153 Posts
It doesn't heat all around it. On the stitching it is still cold and spotty where it starts to heat up.
Not an issue with leather gloves but in bare hands I am not liking it so much.

Anyone else notice this ?
I've only had my Bolt for 22 days. I only wanted the steering wheel heater once (so far) and it was fine for me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Love the heated steering wheel. Used it all winter in my 2013 Leaf, although it was really very warm for about 20 minutes. Then it would cycle on and off. By comparison, the Bolt steering wheel heater is noticeably not as warm and mine only heats the bottom half of the steering wheel (4 & 8 o'clock mostly for my hands). On the up side it stays on and does not seem to cycle on and off. Would have liked it more if it was the top half that was heated. Still, it is a great feature.
That doesn't seem right. My Bolt heats between 9 & 10 and 2 & 3.

I haven't tried other locations because, with airbags, the bottom of your hands should be at 9 & 3. The old 10 & 2 advice has reportedly resulted in people losing their hands upon airbag deployment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts