Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When its cold, I find the ventilated seats and the heated steering wheel work well in warming me up. But the heater needs to be cranked to 77 F at full blast to make any difference in cabin temperature. Do others experience this same situation with the cabin heating system?

· Registered
34 Posts
When its cold, I find the ventilated seats and the heated steering wheel work well in warming me up. But the heater needs to be cranked to 77 F at full blast to make any difference in cabin temperature. Do others experience this same situation with the cabin heating system?
what is "cold"? what's the outside temperature? I'm in SoCal and morning temp has ben down to upper 30s, I don't use cabin heat much but found I need it at ~73 to make it work. I do pre-condition the car before leaving home, at 73 and it is definelty warm when I get in

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m in the SF Bay Area and it was about a wet 45F degrees this morning. (Yeah, I know what people who experience a real winter are thinking) With the temp set at 70F all I feel is cool air coming out of the ducts. It’s not until I crank it up, temp and volume, where I notice a difference.

How does one pre condition the car? Are you doing this remotely from the Chevy app?

· Registered
195 Posts
Yes. I find that even setting it at 71 I can feel straight cold air blowing on me. But then all of a sudden (really after I've forgotten about it for a while) I am hot. 71 and I will eventually get hot. 70 and the a/c comes on and now I am ice cold again. Fan blowing loudly no matter what.

· Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
14,449 Posts
If there is any humidity where you are, the AC will run as hard as the heater, at 77 F. Use the HVAC like it is binary. Hi heat, Lo AC, or outside air only. Don't bother with anything in between. Use fan speed to control temperature.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
9,297 Posts
Since Bolt does resistive heat, might as well get a 12v car heater and direct the heat where you need it.

Heated steering wheel keeps you hands warm.
Heated seats keeps your behind warm.
N95 with vent out will keep your nose warm.
What else would you need to warm?

· Registered
169 Posts
I'll use the heated seat and the heated steering wheel as well. I too, need to put the heat up to 77 or 78 to get any real warmth out of it. It's been below freezing in the mornings the past 4 or 5 days. Forecast for the coming week is lows in the 20's at night. I'll make sure when I get home from work to crank the heat and the fan, and put the seat heater and steering wheel heater on before I turn off the car. In the morning, I'll remote start it 10 minutes or so before I leave, and I have a nice warm car to get into.

· Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier: sold back to GM Jan ‘23
2,688 Posts
I live in western WA, where it generally doesn't get super cold (we don't go below freezing a whole lot here). But I do have a medical condition that makes me feel cold when most people still think it's perfectly comfortable. My hands (and feet) will turn blue when it's 65F outside. While I use the heated wheel and seats during all but the warmest months, I rarely need to set the temp above 73F to stay comfortable.

Reactions: Paul Gipe

· Registered
1,649 Posts
I'm happy with the 72F set on Auto. It's been a warm autumn so far. The coldest it's gotten was 25F. I'm not sure how badly my range will be affected when it's -10F
The longer your drive, the less it will impact your range. The heater uses up to 7kW, but will ramp down once it gets closer to your set temp. During a short commute, it may be pulling 7kW the whole time.

· Registered
1,649 Posts
I'll make sure when I get home from work to crank the heat and the fan, and put the seat heater and steering wheel heater on before I turn off the car. In the morning, I'll remote start it 10 minutes or so before I leave, and I have a nice warm car to get into.
Have you tried a longer preconditioning? It'll run for 20 minutes, and it will let you run it a couple of times.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EV 2LT
109 Posts
I'll make sure when I get home from work to crank the heat and the fan, and put the seat heater and steering wheel heater on before I turn off the car.
The manual for my '22 EV says that the "climate control system" will use the previous settings during remote start - which I've found to be true. But apparently this does not include the seat and steering wheel heaters, because even if they weren't on when I shut the vehicle down, the seats and steering wheel are warm after my remote start and 15-20 minutes of pre-condition time.

Do the older bolts work differently?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts