Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

· Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
14,449 Posts
Battery technology is improving all the time.

In 20 years you will have a battery the size of a brick power your car with all the heat you want.
Technology is improving veeeery slowly. But resource constraints will only get worse. Tesla is farthest out in front, and so is already dealing with this issue. They have gone to a 40 year old technology, for their affordable models, leaving exotic chemistries for those willing to pay through the nose. VW, and now Ford, announced they are going to that same 40 year old technology for their affordable EVs.

Nobody has the slightest idea what we will be doing in twenty years, but the Pentagon has to plan for contingencies anyway.

· Registered
478 Posts
When I think about the cabin size of other ev's I wonder how much energy it takes to keep a Hummer size vehicle warm in really cold weather. The bolt is really small.
When you order the northern climate heat package for the really big vehicles it comes with an extra 50 kw battery. Lol

· Registered
3,587 Posts
Truthfully, I was shocked that nearly 25% of my capacity would be used for climate control. But even not being miserly I'm happy with my range as my commute is easy on full charge.
Hmm, what temperatures you face ?
It never passed over 10% in my case. Yes, heated seats and steering wheel but with heater set to 21C on fan speed 1 or 2. Sample of usage 👇
Communication Device Mobile device Portable communications device Telephony Gadget

Or in one other trip, at the arrival then back home.
Communication Device Gadget Portable communications device Mobile device Font
Mobile device Communication Device Portable communications device Telephony Gadget

· Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier: sold back to GM Jan ‘23
2,688 Posts
This time of year, I'm seeing anywhere from 25-35% power used for climate control. But since I have a medical condition that makes me cold when many people are merely comfortable, I suspect I'm not a typical case. During summer, I'm down around 10%, but once it starts getting colder (for me, colder is below 65F :D) the climate takes a lot of my power.

· Registered
58 Posts
Hmm, what temperatures you face ?
It never passed over 10% in my case. Yes, heated seats and steering wheel but with heater set to 21C on fan speed 1 or 2. Sample of usage 👇
Snowing, just below freezing. 21C is 70F so I suspect that extra 10 degrees has a real impact. Similar fan settings. Clearly the heated seats and steering wheel are a big win in the winter. GM needs to make heated seats standard. I wonder if I can upgrade? Of course I could just wear my insulated coveralls all winter. Ha Ha.

Yesterday it was warmer (5C/40F) and I was at 15% but I also ran the heater less.

· Registered
3,587 Posts
It’s true for short runs, yes, the heating can get a lot more energy, but that’s normal. In the long-ish trips, the energy spent to warm the cabin is under 10% … And yes, when I bought my Bolt, I didn’t want leather and I wanted heated seats and steering wheel.

· Registered
478 Posts
I just tried the 78F to preheat the car in the garage before I left on a 102 mile trip. Wow that's hot. I didn't leave it there, just wanted to see. It was 35-37F while driving and 72F is my temperature until it gets really cold we will see.
Vehicle Plant Personal luxury car Automotive design Car

· Registered
418 Posts
Technology is improving veeeery slowly. But resource constraints will only get worse. Tesla is farthest out in front, and so is already dealing with this issue. They have gone to a 40 year old technology, for their affordable models, leaving exotic chemistries for those willing to pay through the nose. VW, and now Ford, announced they are going to that same 40 year old technology for their affordable EVs.

Nobody has the slightest idea what we will be doing in twenty years, but the Pentagon has to plan for contingencies anyway.
VW does (or did) own a significant portion of quantumscape, so I bought in at $89 bucks a share. Big, BIG mistake.

· Registered
125 Posts
I wish Chevy had a pre-conditioning setting in the infotainment system. I like to delay complete charging until 30 minutes before I leave for work every morning. It would be great if I could set the the cabin to automatically heat or cool after charging is complete. Sometimes I forget or I get side tracked and don’t do a remote start with my key.
This is our problem where I work. People are always forgetting. Or getting sidetracked. Or forget their keys.

Or any combination of those things people are always doing.

How exactly are we going to Mars?

· Registered
2023 Bolt EUV
32 Posts
When its cold, I find the ventilated seats and the heated steering wheel work well in warming me up. But the heater needs to be cranked to 77 F at full blast to make any difference in cabin temperature. Do others experience this same situation with the cabin heating system?
I like sitting on a cold seat when I get into the car so I prefer not pre-heating the cabin when I'm alone. I do use the heated wheel and seat. I drove yesterday in 19º temps to work, 54 miles. I turned on the the windshield vent several times to defrost the front for about one minute each and the heater for about three minutes. Once heater was turned off, I pressed the "inside air recycling" button. Leg vents were off. I survived okay. If I have a passenger, I modify to their liking.

· Registered
6 Posts
In wi. Had a 2012 leaf for 8 yrs, now 2020 bolt lt for 27k. Learned to put anti fog on inside of driver/passenger window and wear a mask. You are exhaling moisture . Currently testing the 100 AH lithium battery from our camper which sits all winter anyway. Hooked a sine wave inverter to it and a cheap tiny 120v Aldi wall heater. This to extend heat when on long drives. Not too bad so far, but not an answer to a better heat pump heater. Yes, i drove early vw beetles. Had two window scrapers. One for the outside, one for the inside ;-)

· Registered
478 Posts
If you have plenty of range for your daily routine, please use the heater like normal. I don't want to see anyone getting frostbite.
I have extreme weather clothing that I used to archery hunt with.
-1F with a 15-20 mile an hour wind in a tree stand completely exposed for hours I would sit. But I'm not wearing that in the bolt. Lol

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier Launch Edition
1,135 Posts
The longer your drive, the less it will impact your range. The heater uses up to 7kW, but will ramp down once it gets closer to your set temp. During a short commute, it may be pulling 7kW the whole time.
I precondition about 10-15 minutes and I think the heater only runs about 3kW - 4kW. I think the Michelin CC2 is killing my range. The range went down to 188 miles when it was 80F outside. I was getting 240 miles before these CC2. I'm down to 180 miles now with the cooler weather.

· Registered
6 Posts
I was not recommending not using heat . Just how to extend for long trips with chargers not an option between. I use preheat and turn up heater like ice car otherwise. Some great ideas coming out here. Lets all keep thinking outside the box!

· Registered
1,649 Posts
I precondition about 10-15 minutes and I think the heater only runs about 3kW - 4kW. I think the Michelin CC2 is killing my range. The range went down to 188 miles when it was 80F outside. I was getting 240 miles before these CC2. I'm down to 180 miles now with the cooler weather.
That's a big hit with those tires!

Yes, the heater will draw up to about 7kW, but ramps down as it gets closer to the set point. If you have a smart EVSE, you can watch as the heater starts at a high level and then starts to ramp down as you get closer to the set point.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts