Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

· Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
2,672 Posts
....The Bolt does not play well with cold weather and or rain.
Just curious why you say this....
It's a 'husky' FWD car. What could be better in the rain?
It has an adequate cabin heater.

· Registered
2,672 Posts
I just tried the 78F to preheat the car in the garage before I left on a 102 mile trip.
I thought when using the 'Precondition' on the app or key fob it didn't matter where you left the climate control settings.
They can be left OFF and you'll still get a heated or cooled car as required.
Is that true?

· Registered
2,672 Posts
Gotta love that 'Dark Blue on a Black background' color choice.:(
Who thought that was a good design?

I do love the separate HEAT and AC buttons on this vintage of Bolt.

I'd pay for a SW upgrade to change that Blue and get the separate buttons.

Yo, gm???

· Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,646 Posts
I thought when using the 'Precondition' on the app or key fob it didn't matter where you left the climate control settings.
They can be left OFF and you'll still get a heated or cooled car as required.
Is that true?
I don't think so. I remote started my car once when the wife had set the temp to 69F, and it wasn't very warm when I got in it. I think the important thing is that Auto is enabled, as it wasn't on mine when this particular occurrence happened.

· Registered
2,672 Posts
I don't think so. I remote started my car once when the wife had set the temp to 69F, and it wasn't very warm when I got in it. I think the important thing is that Auto is enabled, as it wasn't on mine when this particular occurrence happened.
Easily tested.
When the wifey gets home I'll try it 3 ways.
OFF, a normal setting and an AUTO setting.

Of course there's always,,,, RTFM:cool:

· Registered
460 Posts
Norton, i cannot control the temperature settings from the app. The car does use the settings that were last used except the steering wheel heater comes on when it's cold plus there are settings in the car settings icon that turns on certain things.
The quote your showing is were I was pre-conditioning with the car on and I adjusted the heat myself.

· Registered
21 Sienna "Sparkollz" 22 EUV "Titinsky"
1,501 Posts
True fact: to get "comfortably warm" in the EUV I need to set the heater to 74F at least. Vs. the Sienna, where 72F is enough to feel "toasty".

But, at least it's stable. In the 2017 EV, I recall, it was in-frigging-possible to get the correct temperature by setting AUTO, so you had to flick the UP-DOWN switch all the time

· Registered
125 Posts
Just curious why you say this....
It's a 'husky' FWD car. What could be better in the rain?
It has an adequate cabin heater.
Because when I run the heater at 72F and drive a mere 33 miles my battery is below 75%.

Maybe there is some wrong with my battery. Because 66 miles and the battery would be below 50%.

To me it will mean I get rid of the Bolt and buy a Mini Cooper.

Which is the car I wanted before I got the Bolt.

It's going to be 15F next week.

I can't imagine the heater in the Bolt coping well with these low temperatures.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
1,630 Posts
Because when I run the heater at 72F and drive a mere 33 miles my battery is below 75%.

Maybe there is some wrong with my battery. Because 66 miles and the battery would be below 50%.

To me it will mean I get rid of the Bolt and buy a Mini Cooper.

Which is the car I wanted before I got the Bolt.

It's going to be 15F next week.

I can't imagine the heater in the Bolt coping well with these low temperatures.
Sounds excessive. I can confirm running the EUV in temperatures much colder than that in a t shirt….the heater is quite adequate.

Reactions: NortonCommando

· Registered
125 Posts
Sounds excessive. I can confirm running the EUV in temperatures much colder than that in a t shirt….the heater is quite adequate.
Are you going 70 mph on the outer belt to get these amazing results?

My car is a 2017 Bolt. It probably doesn't have the same controller as the much newer EUV.

It also lacks a heat pump.

It really doesn't matter. In a couple months I will be done with EV's.

Battery technology just isn't there yet to make everyone happy.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
1,630 Posts

My car is a 2017 Bolt. It probably doesn't have the same controller as the much newer EUV.

I do 115 km/h on the 401 in southern Ontario the worst of which so far involved temps around -20C. My biweekly commute is 300 km round trip and I wasn’t cold. Not sure if you would qualify that as an amazing result? GM does test these things at their facility in Kapuskasing to make they work. Sure tech will improve but the heat pump thing is only going to add cost for northerners since we’ll need the current resistance heater as auxiliary anyway. It’s the milder US regions and some spots in BC that might get away with a heat pump only option.

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
9,201 Posts
I would love to have EVs come with Near Infra Red lamps. ;)

Drive around like a Bond villain!

· Registered
21 Sienna "Sparkollz" 22 EUV "Titinsky"
1,501 Posts

There is a small possibility that BEV's will go down the route of the CD. By the time they finally figured the battery out so it can compete with the hydrocarbon fuels on its own merit, cold fusion might become a reality. Musk might end up living with this mom and working in the corner sandwich shop.

Also, 33 mi being a quarter of the full battery charge (translating into 132 miles/full charge) in the winter at 70 mph is not unexpected for a 2017 Bolt - even with a new, replacement battery. I recently did rountrip of 64 miles with the heater on 74F and got 2.8 mi/kWh, my average speed was 54 mph and at no point it was higher than 70 mph.

· Registered
2,672 Posts
...It really doesn't matter. In a couple months I will be done with EV's.

This is what some say.

And yet we have auto manufacturers all over the world pumping out EV's as fast as they can.
How would you know when EV's are there?

Enjoy pumping gas in the cold and sitting around routinely getting the oil changed.
Will you be thinking of driving an EV at those times?
So what if your Bolt uses more power in the winter?
It's still way cheaper and cleaner to live with than a Gasser Mini.

Reactions: ARob

· Registered
1,549 Posts
Honestly, a lot of people would be happier if BEVs were more like ICE cars. People complain because their Bolt gets 4.5 miles/kWh in the summer and 2.8 miles/kWh in the winter... but if they got 2.8 miles/kWh all year long, they'd be happier. Just like a gasoline engine turns about 2/3 of your gas into heat... even in the summer.

Even with gas getting cheaper, electricity getting more expensive, and freezing temps outside, I am driving my Bolt for less than half the fuel cost of a 30 MPG gas car. If you think of that as the baseline, and consider summer a huge bonus, maybe you'll feel better about it rather than thinking of summer as the baseline and winter as a loss.

I had a customer recently tell me that they heard EVs get bad mileage in the winter. I said no, it gets good mileage in the winter and great mileage in the summer. He said, "Oh, well that's not what I heard."

· Administrator
5,859 Posts
I had a customer recently tell me that they heard EVs get bad mileage in the winter. I said no, it gets good mileage in the winter and great mileage in the summer. He said, "Oh, well that's not what I heard."
Great response!

I usually say it is as high as 185-200 MPGe in summer, 120-135 MPGe in winter, what does your ICE MPG look like?

If the line of questions continues, I respond with I tracked my 130 mile round trip commute efficiency for nearly 2 years, highest round trip was over 6 mi/kwh (202 MPGe) and lowest was 3.8 mi/kWh (128 MPGe).

· Registered
41 Posts
I have a geothermal heat pump in my house and the air that comes out feels cool but heats the house to whatever temperature I set. The bolt feels similar so far. I set it at 72F with the air split between the windshield and floor. I have the seat set on low and no steering wheel heat after the car reaches temperature. I'm in Michigan. It's very comfortable in the car.
I'd say it averages 8-12 percent of the battery according to the car display. I drive it 60 to 70ish miles most days of the week come home and charge it. Why not set it to 75 or more if your not driving it very much if you want.
My rear passengers windows are getting really foggy, what I’m missing on climate control?
Also what’s your range in the winter?I'm in Ontario and winter is really cold.
Thanks

61 - 80 of 96 Posts