Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

· Registered
1,649 Posts
For some reasons the rear passenger’s windows are getting really foggy, I’m missing something?
Is there a lot of moisture in the car? This can come from wet clothing, boots, snow on the floor, pets, etc. In some unfortunate cases, it can come from a leaky sunroof or windshield, or an AC evaporator that is not draining properly.

Heat and AC in combination will help remove moisture, but can only do so much. We took the wife's minivan on a road trip last month and has our dog with us. It was hard to keep the back windows defogged because she was excitedly breathing all over them. It was also raining a lot, so we were bringing in a lot of moisture on our clothes after each pit stop.

· Registered
478 Posts
My rear passengers windows are getting really foggy, what I’m missing on climate control?
Also what’s your range in the winter?I'm in Ontario and winter is really cold.
Thanks
I can only tell you how I run my temperature settings and you can try the way I'm doing it. I don't get much fogging.
I don't use the auto setting. I set my temperature to 72F, which when it gets colder I might need to raise, don't know yet. I have the vents split between the floor and windshield running at the same time. The fan on 2-3 button pushes from the lowest setting, if I do get a little fog around the edges of my windshield I push the fan button once again until it clears then back down.
I don't charge to 100 percent much but my range the last time I did was 224 miles I believe. I expect it to go down more when it gets into the teens Fahrenheit and single digits. I'm very curious what that will be.

· Registered
261 Posts
Is there a lot of moisture in the car? This can come from wet clothing, boots, snow on the floor, pets, etc. In some unfortunate cases, it can come from a leaky sunroof or windshield, or an AC evaporator that is not draining properly.

Heat and AC in combination will help remove moisture, but can only do so much. We took the wife's minivan on a road trip last month and has our dog with us. It was hard to keep the back windows defogged because she was excitedly breathing all over them. It was also raining a lot, so we were bringing in a lot of moisture on our clothes after each pit stop.
May I ask what you were doing in there?😀

· Registered
58 Posts
My wife met me for lunch the other day and on her way she noticed several EVs (Tesla and BMW) on the freeway with the windows so fogged up she could barely see the drivers. I suspect they were running without heat trying to maintain range. This is kinda a safety issue that car manufacturers need to address or at minimum disclosed. Keeping an ice scraper in the car for the inside of the windows just it's a great solution (although I have done it). I'm using about 25% on climate control some days. I was shocked. My wife drives more than I do everyday and works out of her car part of the day. She's concerned running the climate control while parked will severely impact her range, just as idling affects fuel mileage. The difference is the fact there are very few charging options in our county. Of course if she structured here day and charged while doing paperwork it would become a non-issue. She's still undecided on EVs.

If I get in covered with snow or soaking wet the windows will fog if I don't crack a window to help get the moisture out. Once dried out I don't have any issues. My climate impact goes down a LOT on dryer days.

Maybe put a bucket of desiccant crystals in the car each morning and bake off the moisture each night at home. I wonder how much water a 5 gallon bucket of adsorbent could hold? Does anyone make an efficient 12V dehumidifier?

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
9,297 Posts
My wife met me for lunch the other day and on her way she noticed several EVs (Tesla and BMW) on the freeway with the windows so fogged up she could barely see the drivers. I suspect they were running without heat trying to maintain range. This is kinda a safety issue that car manufacturers need to address or at minimum disclosed. Keeping an ice scraper in the car for the inside of the windows just it's a great solution (although I have done it). I'm using about 25% on climate control some days. I was shocked. My wife drives more than I do everyday and works out of her car part of the day. She's concerned running the climate control while parked will severely impact her range, just as idling affects fuel mileage. The difference is the fact there are very few charging options in our county. Of course if she structured here day and charged while doing paperwork it would become a non-issue. She's still undecided on EVs.

If I get in covered with snow or soaking wet the windows will fog if I don't crack a window to help get the moisture out. Once dried out I don't have any issues. My climate impact goes down a LOT on dryer days.

Maybe put a bucket of desiccant crystals in the car each morning and bake off the moisture each night at home. I wonder how much water a 5 gallon bucket of adsorbent could hold? Does anyone make an efficient 12V dehumidifier?
The Tesla is in FSD, so as long the camera can see, there is no need for you to see out the windshield. ;)

· Registered
107 Posts
When its cold, I find the ventilated seats and the heated steering wheel work well in warming me up. But the heater needs to be cranked to 77 F at full blast to make any difference in cabin temperature. Do others experience this same situation with the cabin heating system?
I totally agree about the heating. The two worst issues with this great car are the lame charger built into the system and the HVAC system. I almost never use the heat - I rely on the seat heat and steering wheel heat. When I do use the heat, 70 degrees feels like nothing - just cold air. I have to crank the temp up. This just feels wrong. Also driving around in Bay Area nice weather: fan 1 speed is too cold and fan speed 0 is too warm. Has anyone else found that? You typically want some air coming into the cabin, but the lowest speed setting is too high. Most cars have a restrictor setting on each vent which would have solved this issue.

· Registered
1,649 Posts
If I want the car to be toasty warm during preconditioning, I'll set it to 74ºF before I sit down. I will usually end up turning it down to 72ºF or lower at some point while I'm driving. My guess is that they programmed the "auto" climate control for efficiency rather than accuracy.

· Registered
21 Sienna "Sparkollz" 22 EUV "Titinsky"
1,553 Posts
To the OP: if you let some outside air in, it would typically remove the mist from windows. I don't think there is any difference between an ICE car and an EV in this sense

I see you conveniently skipped the “dog” part.
Downward dog, perhaps. Yes, is a thing.

Oops, you're right! I'll have to mind my typos.😉
"I was minding my mind when I typed typos"

· Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier: sold back to GM Jan ‘23
2,688 Posts
what’s the consumption when heat on ?
I don't think I've seen more than 7kW displayed when the heater is going full tilt. But since it doesn't show increments, only full kW steps, that could be 7.8 or 7.9kW actual consumption.

· Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
14,449 Posts
I don't think I've seen more than 7kW displayed when the heater is going full tilt. But since it doesn't show increments, only full kW steps, that could be 7.8 or 7.9kW actual consumption.
The Bolt heater maxes out at 7500 watts, but the AC may also be running at ~1000 watts (5000 watts max). And the battery heater may also be on at ~2000 watts max.

Rectangle Yellow Line Font Technology

· Registered
569 Posts
The two worst issues with this great car are the lame charger built into the system and the HVAC system.
What's wrong with the 11.5kW on-board charger? It can put ~37-39mph in the battery pack, depending on the model. That's enough to power both cabin and battery pre-conditioning events at full draw and still have some left over for charging.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts