Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this site and i'm excited about it. Bought my Bolt Jan 2017 and have had it for almost 1 1/2 years. No problems. Driving is FUN again ! I have several Bolt articles in Green Car Reports for details about the new Bolt owner experience, if you are interested.

One question: We currently have the Bolt, as mentioned above. Our second car is a Miev, and it's getting old enough to consider replacing. I was thinking about the Chevy Volt as a second car. I don't like the interior comfort of the Volt, and it's low slung design. Wonder if the upcoming edition of the Volt will be more like the Bolt in chassis design. Anybody have any ideas on this?

·
Premium Member
2,400 Posts
Just found this site and i'm excited about it. Bought my Bolt Jan 2017 and have had it for almost 1 1/2 years. No problems. Driving is FUN again ! I have several Bolt articles in Green Car Reports for details about the new Bolt owner experience, if you are interested.

One question: We currently have the Bolt, as mentioned above. Our second car is a Miev, and it's getting old enough to consider replacing. I was thinking about the Chevy Volt as a second car. I don't like the interior comfort of the Volt, and it's low slung design. Wonder if the upcoming edition of the Volt will be more like the Bolt in chassis design. Anybody have any ideas on this?
The current Volt isn't supposed to undergo any major changes for several years. In fact, it's rumored the Volt will be discontinued by 2022 or so, and replaced with a plug-in CUV variant.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Crossover. Thinking the cross over design is unibody vs over frame. But now full size SUV's are going unibody too.
I thought it meant compact utility vehicle. Basically, a small or midsize car made taller, and with a bulldog nose, to appeal to the SUV buyers, but not actually an SUV.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I was thinking about the Chevy Volt as a second car.
Would you consider the Honda Clarity PHEV? Although a sedan, it sits about the same height as the Miev, but unlike the Volt, is actually a roomy midsize that will seat 5 in total comfort. A lot of safety features standard, but it ain't gonna win no drag races.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Would you consider the Honda Clarity PHEV? Although a sedan, it sits about the same height as the Miev, but unlike the Volt, is actually a roomy midsize that will seat 5 in total comfort. A lot of safety features standard, but it ain't gonna win no drag races.
I've never been that hung up on the looks cars but the Clarity is so ugly even I would object.

I may be alone in this, but one of the things that I like about BEVs and to a lesser extent, the Volt is the simplicity. A hybrid is just going to be a far more complicated due to the integrated drive trains. Also, because the Volt's engine is completely decoupled from the drive, it can run at max efficiency all the time (when it's running). This also simplifies a lot of the design of the ICE systems from fuel to exhaust to cooling and especial pollution control. I just find this much more appealing than a PHEV. I'm curious if anyone else feels this way?

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
I've never been that hung up on the looks cars but the Clarity is so ugly even I would object.

I may be alone in this, but one of the things that I like about BEVs and to a lesser extent, the Volt is the simplicity. A hybrid is just going to be a far more complicated due to the integrated drive trains. Also, because the Volt's engine is completely decoupled from the drive, it can run at max efficiency all the time (when it's running). This also simplifies a lot of the design of the ICE systems from fuel to exhaust to cooling and especial pollution control. I just find this much more appealing than a PHEV. I'm curious if anyone else feels this way?
Agree, the Clarity is hideous, and I'm not one to be vain. The looks wouldn't stop me from buying it, but it certainly doesn't help.

Simplicity is among the top reasons a BEV appeals to me. This should result in higher reliability and reduced maintenance time and cost.

The Gen I Volt was a series hybrid as you describe, but the Gen II is a parallel hybrid, so it has more complication since the engine directly powers the car as well as charges the battery. It's actually more efficient to use the output of the engine directly rather than involve the added step of generating electricity and converting some of it back to chemical energy in the battery.

I still prefer a PHEV for longer trips since it eliminates the hassle of charging and still operates efficiently, shutting off the engine when stopped and running on battery power at lower speeds.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I was reluctant to add that the Clarity probably wouldn't win any beauty contest either, but the OP is coming from a MiEV.

My feeling is the OP is far more rooted in natural resource stewardship, value efficiency within the prime parameters of a conscious lifestyle, and embraces a personal effect responsibility framework; one who considers the social, environmental, ecological, and political impact of his/her consumption first and foremost.

The OP just doesn't strike me as a vain, snobbish, pretentious, money grubbin', self-centered, all-about-meeee, pompous, ostentatious, other-directed, insecure fashionista consumerbot obsessed with outward image to the point of blindly following the contrived cognoscenti in an feeble effort of self validation.

...otherwise he would have suggested a Tesla 3 and not a Volt >:)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Despite OP being happy with a i-Miev, you gotta put the Volt and Clarity side by side and compare their profiles:

The Clarity to me looks like a bottle-nosed dolphin and just bothers me for some reason. Love dolphins, but don't want to drive/ride one.

I'm still planning on sitting in a Clarity just to see how it compares to my old Volt, though.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Despite OP being happy with a i-Miev, you gotta put the Volt and Clarity side by side and compare their profiles:
I'm still planning on sitting in a Clarity just to see how it compares to my old Volt, though.
When you're sitting in the Clarity, enjoying the commodious spacious splendor and the gratifying majesty of its sumptuousness (compared to the Volt), just remember the best revenge is that you're on the inside looking out.

Trust me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When you're sitting in the Clarity, enjoying the commodious spacious splendor and the gratifying majesty of its sumptuousness (compared to the Volt), just remember the best revenge is that you're on the inside looking out.

Trust me.
You do the most awesome posts, considering the ease of reading so many very long, infrequently used words. No sarcasm intended, it makes for fun reading. :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
John,
My wife and I bought a Bolt and Volt on the same day. I LOVE my Bolt, and she LOVEs her Volt.
The only time I have driven her Volt was initial test drive and an 850 mi (one way) road trip from Houston to Albuquerque.
I have only two complaints about the Volt - sight lines and low-slung bucket seats. I don't mind the seats for a short period of time, but for a 13-hour drive I did mind the seats. Question is who will be the primary driver, and what do they think? My wife would choose the Volt again.
If I was the primary driver of a 50-mile plug-in, I would give a solid shot to the Honda Clarity in comparison shopping.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The Honda Clarity actually has greater efficiency than the Volt and is bigger. Given Honda’s experience in the hybrid area, I would not be concerned about the difference in complexity, if any, between the Volt and Clarity. Finally, you would never mistake your Clarity for another car in a big parking lot. I think Mad Max when I look at it.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts

Trust me.
I loved walking up to my old 2017 Kinetic Blue Volt after a long day's work. It catches my eye everytime. Had more compliments on it too from the fairer gender.

I didn't like the look of the Bolt initially but figured I'd get used to it. Half a year later and I still tilt my head in wonderment about what I'm looking at when I walk up to it. So I guess you won't see your Clarity much, but you might have the pangs of disgust as you walk up to it.

Also, never trust someone that says, "Trust me." Bitten too many times by that phrase.

Reactions: shotel

·
Registered
234 Posts
Before I purchased the bolt I strongly considered the clarity but I had issues during the test drive. The acceleration got continuously worse to the point in which it seemed like there was something wrong with the vehicle. In addition if you read the Edmunds review the editor specifically calls this out in his review. Test driving the bolt and just the handling and torque pushed me towards the Bolt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.