Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone here from a non EV having person. Been poking around for a while know getting to know the car (as much as I can from videos and online conversations) and decided to toss in my 0.02 cents now and then.

I've been looking at the bolt for a while now as a commuter car seeing as even my farthest possible commute (main office) would only need a top off on the way back. That and fuel savings alone would contribute around 130 a month towards the payment. And I really like it.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Welcome aboard. Don't wait too long. Make sure you stay informed on the tax credit. If you do wait a bit you might hear what the 2019 Bolt has in store.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey TWS, welcome. The Bolt is a pretty cool little car, with some limitations as you sound like you already know.

I got it as a "Grocery getter" and fell in love with EVs. My quick math gas/maintenance savings pay for the annual insurance but I will likely exceed that saving as my mileage is up more than I thought. I'm blessed to have an ICE back up for times when gas makes sense.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Greetings from another wistful lurker. My head says wait for a version with some cargo capacity, I really need it. (I have a small hobby orchard at the other end of a 100 mile run).

But I'm fascinated with the present Bolt regardless.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
XJ12, I've a job lined up down that should net me a good little nest egg for a downpayment, so at the earliest I'm looking at Feb/Mar of next year. But if I do so I'd be able to take full advantage of the credit.

Photonburst: The savings would go to "subsidize" the payments, or the insurance. I love my ICE car (and it's paid for, huzzah) but it makes no money sense for my commute. Plus I was enamored by it on a EV drive event I got to attend.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Greetings from another wistful lurker. My head says wait for a version with some cargo capacity, I really need it. (I have a small hobby orchard at the other end of a 100 mile run).

Love my Bolt, not meaning to throw you a bone on the opposite direction but Tesla is releasing a pick up truck in 2019/2020. Sounds like you’d need one of those... at the same time, until then, I’m sure we’ll see many other Ev brands released.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Well, if they sold them to the public (haven't found a manufacturer) and you weren't worried about warranty claims, would something like this work for you? It seems quite aerodynamic.

That or Workhorse is taking pre orders for the W-15 (plug in hybrid pickup). Haven't read on when it's coming into production though.

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Well, if they sold them to the public (haven't found a manufacturer) and you weren't worried about warranty claims, would something like this work for you? It seems quite aerodynamic.

That or Workhorse is taking pre orders for the W-15 (plug in hybrid pickup). Haven't read on when it's coming into production though.
Thanks. I have a small trailer, likely far lighter than that U-Haul one which has to be over-built to withstand misuse.

This photo is from 2005 and these are still our fleet, an Outback and a Ford Focus Wagon. Either can pull the 40 x 48 inch Harbor Freight 125 lb trailer.

A Bolt would tow it fine in local use like bringing home this 100+ lb welder. But there's too much aerodynamic drag for 100 miles of highway travel with a Bolt.

I suppose I could build another tiny one and put a clamshell cartop carrier on it. But it would be less convenient than carrying stuff inside an appropriately-sized vehicle.

If I buy a small EV now, I will need to keep the Subaru to pull the larger 4x8 trailer for typical work like this or once in a while like this.

I've read about the Workhorse battery truck, but it's a lot bigger and more expensive than I need. It's the size of a tradesman's full size pickup, larger than I need, or want to drive.

For me an EV mini-SUV to replace either of my small vehicles would be ideal. We saw that there might be a Bolt-derived version in a couple of years so for now I'm just trucking on waiting for it. And reading here, enviously.

·
Registered
612 Posts
...Tesla is releasing a pick up truck in 2019/2020. Sounds like you’d need one of those... at the same time, until then, I’m sure we’ll see many other Ev brands released.
Thanks. I hadn't heard of that so I went and read about it. Musk says it will be the size of an F150 or slightly larger. That's a lot bigger than I need, and I don't really want to pay the premium, and depreciation, for anything Tesla when we aren't going to put a lot of miles on it.

We're retired and don't drive a lot of miles even with our near-weekly trips between city and ranch. The Ford Focus Wagon we bought in 2004 ($16k, no repairs yet) gets most of the mileage and it has under 10k miles/year. Something of its size is all we need. I would like to match its low depreciation and insurance too but I'll compromise that, for the low operating cost of an EV.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Love my Bolt, not meaning to throw you a bone on the opposite direction but Tesla is releasing a pick up truck in 2019/2020. Sounds like you’d need one of those... at the same time, until then, I’m sure we’ll see many other Ev brands released.

2019/2020 Tesla time = sometime in Trump's second term! ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Welcome aboard. Don't wait too long. Make sure you stay informed on the tax credit. If you do wait a bit you might hear what the 2019 Bolt has in store.
I heard some crazy rumor about EV credits being gone? I am trying to find out if this is the case. With the lack of dealerships wanting to lease Bolts at a decent price, I think I am just going to buy one...assuming the tax credits are still available.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I heard some crazy rumor about EV credits being gone? I am trying to find out if this is the case. With the lack of dealerships wanting to lease Bolts at a decent price, I think I am just going to buy one...assuming the tax credits are still available.
Reductions might start by next year for GM. This article projected as early as third quarter to reach 200,000 units:

http://evadoption.com/tesla-and-gm-should-each-reach-200000-in-total-us-ev-sales-by-q2-q3-2018-respectively/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts