Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone here from a non EV having person. Been poking around for a while know getting to know the car (as much as I can from videos and online conversations) and decided to toss in my 0.02 cents now and then.

I've been looking at the bolt for a while now as a commuter car seeing as even my farthest possible commute (main office) would only need a top off on the way back. That and fuel savings alone would contribute around 130 a month towards the payment. And I really like it.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Welcome aboard. Don't wait too long. Make sure you stay informed on the tax credit. If you do wait a bit you might hear what the 2019 Bolt has in store.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey TWS, welcome. The Bolt is a pretty cool little car, with some limitations as you sound like you already know.

I got it as a "Grocery getter" and fell in love with EVs. My quick math gas/maintenance savings pay for the annual insurance but I will likely exceed that saving as my mileage is up more than I thought. I'm blessed to have an ICE back up for times when gas makes sense.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Greetings from another wistful lurker. My head says wait for a version with some cargo capacity, I really need it. (I have a small hobby orchard at the other end of a 100 mile run).

But I'm fascinated with the present Bolt regardless.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
XJ12, I've a job lined up down that should net me a good little nest egg for a downpayment, so at the earliest I'm looking at Feb/Mar of next year. But if I do so I'd be able to take full advantage of the credit.

Photonburst: The savings would go to "subsidize" the payments, or the insurance. I love my ICE car (and it's paid for, huzzah) but it makes no money sense for my commute. Plus I was enamored by it on a EV drive event I got to attend.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Greetings from another wistful lurker. My head says wait for a version with some cargo capacity, I really need it. (I have a small hobby orchard at the other end of a 100 mile run).

Love my Bolt, not meaning to throw you a bone on the opposite direction but Tesla is releasing a pick up truck in 2019/2020. Sounds like you’d need one of those... at the same time, until then, I’m sure we’ll see many other Ev brands released.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Well, if they sold them to the public (haven't found a manufacturer) and you weren't worried about warranty claims, would something like this work for you? It seems quite aerodynamic.

That or Workhorse is taking pre orders for the W-15 (plug in hybrid pickup). Haven't read on when it's coming into production though.

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Well, if they sold them to the public (haven't found a manufacturer) and you weren't worried about warranty claims, would something like this work for you? It seems quite aerodynamic.

That or Workhorse is taking pre orders for the W-15 (plug in hybrid pickup). Haven't read on when it's coming into production though.
Thanks. I have a small trailer, likely far lighter than that U-Haul one which has to be over-built to withstand misuse.

This photo is from 2005 and these are still our fleet, an Outback and a Ford Focus Wagon. Either can pull the 40 x 48 inch Harbor Freight 125 lb trailer.

A Bolt would tow it fine in local use like bringing home this 100+ lb welder. But there's too much aerodynamic drag for 100 miles of highway travel with a Bolt.

I suppose I could build another tiny one and put a clamshell cartop carrier on it. But it would be less convenient than carrying stuff inside an appropriately-sized vehicle.

If I buy a small EV now, I will need to keep the Subaru to pull the larger 4x8 trailer for typical work like this or once in a while like this.

I've read about the Workhorse battery truck, but it's a lot bigger and more expensive than I need. It's the size of a tradesman's full size pickup, larger than I need, or want to drive.

For me an EV mini-SUV to replace either of my small vehicles would be ideal. We saw that there might be a Bolt-derived version in a couple of years so for now I'm just trucking on waiting for it. And reading here, enviously.

·
Registered
612 Posts
...Tesla is releasing a pick up truck in 2019/2020. Sounds like you’d need one of those... at the same time, until then, I’m sure we’ll see many other Ev brands released.
Thanks. I hadn't heard of that so I went and read about it. Musk says it will be the size of an F150 or slightly larger. That's a lot bigger than I need, and I don't really want to pay the premium, and depreciation, for anything Tesla when we aren't going to put a lot of miles on it.

We're retired and don't drive a lot of miles even with our near-weekly trips between city and ranch. The Ford Focus Wagon we bought in 2004 ($16k, no repairs yet) gets most of the mileage and it has under 10k miles/year. Something of its size is all we need. I would like to match its low depreciation and insurance too but I'll compromise that, for the low operating cost of an EV.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Love my Bolt, not meaning to throw you a bone on the opposite direction but Tesla is releasing a pick up truck in 2019/2020. Sounds like you’d need one of those... at the same time, until then, I’m sure we’ll see many other Ev brands released.

2019/2020 Tesla time = sometime in Trump's second term! ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Welcome aboard. Don't wait too long. Make sure you stay informed on the tax credit. If you do wait a bit you might hear what the 2019 Bolt has in store.
I heard some crazy rumor about EV credits being gone? I am trying to find out if this is the case. With the lack of dealerships wanting to lease Bolts at a decent price, I think I am just going to buy one...assuming the tax credits are still available.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts