Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not exactly. Minneapolis actually but sometimes its hard to tell the difference.

Anyway...

I've been wanting to buy an electric car since the first murmers of the Volt. Actually was on the reserve list for both the Volt and the Leaf.

However, the Volt didn't come close to living up to it's original promises on price or performance and when I finally test drove the Leaf, I realized that as much as I wanted one, the 100 mile range was never going to work in this environment. In fact research since has shown that at -10 F you get about 45 miles. My commute is 22 each way. Um, no. And performance? 0-60? Yes. Eventually.

I had heard about the Bolt but didn't really pay much attention because I thought it was going to be yet another glorified golf cart with too little range and too many compromises.

Boy was I wrong!

238 miles? Even if the 45% rule at -10 of the Leaf holds true I still would get 107 miles. Way more than I need.
0-60 in 6.5 (seen as low as 6.2)? That's not a compromise, that's just plain quick.
30k after rebate??? Well within my budget.

This might go down as THE tipping point for electric cars.

Unfortunately...

In March of 2016, my existing lease ran out and I had to buy a car. So now here I am still a little under water on my current vehicle and probably won't be able to buy a Bolt for at least 6 months realistically. Possibly a year.

But I hope in the meantime it's still appropriate for me to post here. Because I have questions. Lots of them!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't let a cool vehicle make you live paycheck to paycheck! If you don't have 6 months of car payments at hand, then I suggest holding out for a used one.
Don't worry, I'm not stupid. I won't get out of my current car till I'm solidly in the black. I've waited about 8 years. Six more months is nothing. Plus, I broke my wrist about a week ago and don't want to get in a new car till I have full use of both arms. Which, coincidentally, will be six months to a year. Synchronicity?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Hello up there in Frostbite Falls! :D

I think the lowest EV range we've seen (from our brothers up in the Great White North) has been in the 120-130mi range.

We had 0F overnight here in NY recently where it only climbed to 6F during the day... I still had 150mi range under those conditions.
My daily round trip commute is 51mi, even under the brutal temps listed above, I returned home with north of 100mi left "in the tank".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello up there in Frostbite Falls! :D

I think the lowest EV range we've seen (from our brothers up in the Great White North) has been in the 120-130mi range.

We had 0F overnight here in NY recently where it only climbed to 6F during the day... I still had 150mi range under those conditions.
My daily round trip commute is 51mi, even under the brutal temps listed above, I returned home with north of 100mi left "in the tank".
Thank you! That's very useful information. And that would easily handle my commute. I saw a video online from a guy in ND who showed a range of 107 miles at -20. Even that would be OK. And frankly, at -20 i'm probably working from home anyway lol!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Perhaps in 6 months to one year, Chevy will be offering some nice incentives to draw in new buyers after the initial wave have all received their vehicles. Or based on how your wrist recovers, you could be on the market right when the holiday season comes.

Anywho, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Perhaps in 6 months to one year, Chevy will be offering some nice incentives to draw in new buyers after the initial wave have all received their vehicles. Or based on how your wrist recovers, you could be on the market right when the holiday season comes.

Anywho, welcome to the forum!
I don't know about that but what I think they will do is find more ways to add value here in proportion to what rival brands do. Eventually we won't need incentives to buy but too buy based off what's included here VS Nissan, Toyota, etc.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
At the moment, GM really doesn't have much of an incentive ... to offer incentives. They are selling all of the cars they are making, and there's no real competition (yet).

The Tesla model 3 isn't being manufactured in quantity yet, and when it is there is a multi-year back-order to fill (even if only 1/3 of the reservation holders buy a model 3).

The LEAF2 is only a 150-mile-range car until next year (and even the 150-mile version isn't available in the U.S. yet). When the 150-mile version does start showing up (which is "very soon now"), there will be a LOT of LEAF1 lease returns lining up to buy/lease them since Nissan allowed their leasees to go on a month-to-month extension while waiting for the new LEAF to arrive (about 9 months worth to start with).

So, once there's a glut of LEAF2s (and maybe even an Ioniq EV w/ 160+ mile-range), the Bolt will be sort of expensive (outside of California).

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
If you're real lucky, Tesla and Nissan start delivering their sub-$40k offerings and you can cross shop. Even better, other Bolt owners will swap and used market will be prime for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you're real lucky, Tesla and Nissan start delivering their sub-$40k offerings and you can cross shop. Even better, other Bolt owners will swap and used market will be prime for you.
Good point but the Leaf really won't work for me. 150 miles = 67 harsh winter miles would be cutting it too close. Of course it's availability will impact the Bolt though.
The $35,000 version of the Tesla is a unicorn as far as I'm concerned. Hoping I'm proven wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts