Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased Bolt LT 5/25/17, put 1,000 miles on it and then went to a conference in Halifax. Bolt was garaged, plugged in with provided EVSE, while outside temps were 105-110 for the last two weeks. Should arrive home later today to see if it's still operable. Been monitoring this blog for about a month, and really appreciate the advice and opinions. Just purchased Tesla UMC with J1772 adapter and a couple of plugs. It was cheaper, by $250, than the JESLA option. (Thanks Mr O'Rourke!). Need electrician to evaluate home situation as this is first EV. So far only shock is when I realized that not all Bolts came with "fast charge" option. Had to ask salesman multiple times to confirm, as he did not seem to appreciate the difference. Have solar and SCE, remains to be seen what costs are to install second meter, or more solar, or just sit still.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Welcome to the ranks of ownership.

Your Bolt should be just fine after sitting plugged in for two weeks. In reality, you probably could've charged to 90% and then left the car unplugged for the duration of your trip and would find that you still had plenty of charge.

As to adding more solar, you need to look at what your trueup bills have been for the last few years, and estimate how much your EV will add to your household electrical use. If you've been walking away from high amounts of energy credits (mone credits, not kWh over-production for which they pay you), then adding more Solar may not be the most cost effective thing to do. And keep in mind that while your electricity bill may go up certain amount, it should be significantly less than what you were paying for gas to drive your ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Can't really say if you should install another solar panel or not because I have no idea what your electricity usage and bill looks like before and after the Bolt. At least it's still cheaper than getting gas, even more so because of your solar panel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am on annual contract with SCE, in 2016 total of 8719 kW used, for annual bill of $935 plus odd connection charges. I am in Tier 1 (.16 kWh) every month except July & August for obvious reasons. I receive medical allotment, for CPAP, which extends my daily Tier 1 allocation by 16.5 kW. So, the Bolt is replacement for 2004 BMW x3 which averaged 20,000 miles a year, at 24mpg, and I used premium fuel like the book recommended, so 2016 fuel cost on that vehicle was about $2,520.00. At average of 4 miles/kW, then will use additional 5000 kW for Bolt, with estimated 75% billed Tier 1, remainder Tier 2 (.25 kW or about $920. It doubles my electric bill. SCE has special EV rate of .0925 kW, if I am reading it correctly, but you must pay for the second meter, and installation, for the EV. SCE estimates cost of $1,500-3,000.00 for installation. Since SCE is trying to move everyone to TOU, and since I have been on a solar contract for nearly 18 years, and do not really want to give them an excuse to move me to TOU.

The immediate plan is simply wire the garage for upgraded electrical, and then get some additional solar quotes. If I could install 2nd meter at a reasonable price, I would not mind locking in the EV rate. Although it is my experience that SCE raises rates on a regular basis, so I expect the EV rate to increase as well. My original plan with solar was to keep usage within Tier 1, but now they are changing the game.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts