Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I joined site a week ago but never made my newbie post so here it is.

Looking to get a Bolt after I get married in a month :D. I've been waiting to go electric and was hooked on the Volt but realized that you only live once (yes I am a milennial) so what the ****, I'm getting a full electric Bolt.

Just wanted to know if anyone has been successful only charging at L1 speeds at home. For background info, I drive about 8000 miles a year, which translates to an average of 150 miles per week. There are also a bunch of L2 public stations around my city (San Luis obispo), most of which are free.

Nice to meet everyone!

·
Registered
782 Posts
might I humbly suggest these posting will be of assistance you…

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/82-charging-batteries/7138-charging-opinions-long-time-ev-user.html
http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/82-charging-batteries/1489-ev-charger-options.html
http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/82-charging-batteries/5353-aerovironment-official-charger-chevy-bolt.html

the L1 charger that comes with the car is worthless in my opinion - serious EV owners should invest in a quality L2 chargers - Cars are meant to be driven and they can't be driving while they are charging - a good reliable/fast charging infrastructure is the corner stone of the happy EV owner - otherwise the charging times can be measured in DAYS - there are 2 DC fast chargers in the SLO area, so you're not totally screwed, but I'd recommend and L2 charger - it's a good investment for your first EV (Bolt) and your next EV (whatever)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
might I humbly suggest these posting will be of assistance you…

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/82-charging-batteries/7138-charging-opinions-long-time-ev-user.html
http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/82-charging-batteries/1489-ev-charger-options.html
http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/82-charging-batteries/5353-aerovironment-official-charger-chevy-bolt.html

the L1 charger that comes with the car is worthless in my opinion - serious EV owners should invest in a quality L2 chargers - Cars are meant to be driven and they can't be driving while they are charging - a good reliable/fast charging infrastructure is the corner stone of the happy EV owner - otherwise the charging times can be measured in DAYS - there are 2 DC fast chargers in the SLO area, so you're not totally screwed, but I'd recommend and L2 charger - it's a good investment for your first EV (Bolt) and your next EV (whatever)
Much appreciated!

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Just wanted to know if anyone has been successful only charging at L1 speeds at home. For background info, I drive about 8000 miles a year, which translates to an average of 150 miles per week. There are also a bunch of L2 public stations around my city (San Luis obispo), most of which are free.
I don't own a Bolt (yet), so you may want to take my words with a grain of salt. But at only 150 miles per week, I suspect you could do just fine if your 120V circuit can run at 12A continuously. If those 150 miles per week are spread over 5 days it means you're driving around 30 miles per day. It should be pretty easy to keep your energy efficiency at 3 miles per KWh or better, which means you'll use up about 10KWh per day. 120V at 12A will charge at a rate of 1.44KW, which means that you could fully recharge the day's usage in about 7 hours.

Those are pretty conservative numbers, I'd expect you'd likely do better than that.

The real question is whether you have any outliers in terms of miles driven per day and how often they occur. At such a slow charging rate it would a couple of days plugged in continuously to fully charge the Bolt. That's not a problem if you take one long trip because even though an overnight charge at 120V/12A won't fill it up very much, it'll be more than enough for the next day's 30 mile trip. But if you have to do a few long trips back-to-back then you might get into trouble.

The local L2 chargers could solve this problem, but only if you can see your way to leaving the car hooked up for almost 10 hours for a full charge.

So yeah, I think it could work but it depends on how often and how close together you think you might need to take those longer trips. Since the car comes with everything you need, IMHO you might as well try living with it that way for a little while to see if it suits your driving pattern.

·
Registered
782 Posts
one of the biggest advantages of owning an EV IMHO is getting in every morning and find the car full of juice ready to go - and while for modest daily usage an L1 charger can charge overnight - taking 8 hour for 10 kwh is not a pleasing experience. My opinion is I drive my EV during the day and use it like a car - if you need to drive to Paso Robles drive to Paso Robles - come home, plug it in and know it's going to be full in 8 hours. You can drive the car with impunity and charge it over night…

a good 32 amp L2 charger is a feature of the EV lifestyle and sets you up to have minimal compromise vs. typical usage patterns established by years of driving a gas car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I commute about 50 miles a day, 5 times a week (250 miles) + I use the car on weekends as well.

Though I initially purchased a 220V charger, I didn't end up installing it and use only 120V charging.

In about 12 hours, I get about 12 kWh or so back in the battery so around 50 mi of range depending on recent driving efficiency (3.8-4.5 mi/kWh). If I ever have a day where I drive a bit more than 50 miles, I usually catch up on the weekend, or if I drive a lot within the same week, I'll head to a public charger to fill up a little bit or use my wife's Prius.

120V charging seems to meet my needs for now, but eventually, it's probably nice to have a charger installed. My suggestion with your driving would be to see how the 120V charging goes for you, especially if you have a second car, then look into installing a charging station if you feel like have the need or just want the convenience of not having to worry about it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I honestly think I could get away with just L1. During the week I bike to work hardly use the car except for 3-10 mile trips. The weekends is where I'll go anywhere from 30-150 a day. Fortunately, there's a DMV by my office with a L2 station. I could easily juice up all day on Friday's to fuel my weekend trips while the L1 satisfies my weekday trips (if any).

This is of course a short term solution. I plan to upgrade my wife's SUV with the next generation SUV EVs coming out in the next 5 years. In that case, I will definitely get a L2 at my house as she does a fair amount of weekday driving for work.

I'll probably go 3 months with L1 at home and public L2 and L3 and see how it goes, which to me is pretty exciting and fun

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I honestly think I could get away with just L1. During the week I bike to work hardly use the car except for 3-10 mile trips. The weekends is where I'll go anywhere from 30-150 a day. Fortunately, there's a DMV by my office with a L2 station. I could easily juice up all day on Friday's to fuel my weekend trips while the L1 satisfies my weekday trips (if any).

This is of course a short term solution. I plan to upgrade my wife's SUV with the next generation SUV EVs coming out in the next 5 years. In that case, I will definitely get a L2 at my house as she does a fair amount of weekday driving for work.

I'll probably go 3 months with L1 at home and public L2 and L3 and see how it goes, which to me is pretty exciting and fun
Sounds like a good plan. Try it and see how it goes. Is the problem with going for an L2 charger the cost, or that you don't own the home and/or there is no good place for it?

A good friend of mine has a Nissan Leaf and only uses it to go to work and back. He bought it just to be able to use the carpool lanes. He has had it about 2 years now and has only used L1 charging at home and has no plans to upgrade. With limited driving, I think L1 will probably work OK.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Welcome to the forums and also congratulations on getting married soon!

Considering your commutes are extremely short and you a full charge will last you a good amount of time, the plan you have to park it on Friday and charge at the DMV should suffice for you for quite a while.

What are you currently driving though? Something with this minor need for a vehicle, the Bolt is perfectly ideal!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the forums and also congratulations on getting married soon!

Considering your commutes are extremely short and you a full charge will last you a good amount of time, the plan you have to park it on Friday and charge at the DMV should suffice for you for quite a while.

What are you currently driving though? Something with this minor need for a vehicle, the Bolt is perfectly ideal!
Thank you, Electro!

Im currently driving a 2001 Honda Accord affectionately named "Grandmas Golden". She has nearly 160,000 and its time to replace her. The value is so low that if something were to break, which at this point is any moment, it would eat up costs while providing no more value. I almost was good to go on the Volt, but I wanted to commit 100% to electrics. Since GM has an outstanding reputation with the Volt, the Bolt is next in line for success.

I like the idea of using the Bolt as everyday errant car. With its low maintenance and "fuel" cost, its perfect for around town trips. Plus, it can take me to visit my parents who live 150 miles away without a problem unlike nearly all other BEV.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Welcome fellow SLO resident.

I have 3 EV's and 3 drivers here including a Bolt (over 5000 miles already) and can assure you there are plenty of options for charging here. We do have at least one L2 charging option at home (Cambria) available at all times. I am on plugshare should you need help.

BTW the 3 EVs average almost 3,000 miles per month.

Hello everyone, I joined site a week ago but never made my newbie post so here it is.

Looking to get a Bolt after I get married in a month :D. I've been waiting to go electric and was hooked on the Volt but realized that you only live once (yes I am a milennial) so what the ****, I'm getting a full electric Bolt.

Nice to meet everyone!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Thank you, Electro!

Im currently driving a 2001 Honda Accord affectionately named "Grandmas Golden". She has nearly 160,000 and its time to replace her. The value is so low that if something were to break, which at this point is any moment, it would eat up costs while providing no more value. I almost was good to go on the Volt, but I wanted to commit 100% to electrics. Since GM has an outstanding reputation with the Volt, the Bolt is next in line for success.

I like the idea of using the Bolt as everyday errant car. With its low maintenance and "fuel" cost, its perfect for around town trips. Plus, it can take me to visit my parents who live 150 miles away without a problem unlike nearly all other BEV.
The great thing about a car as cheap as that is, if it breaks and you need something to last you a few more months or more, buying yet another Accord of that generation is a great option.

Being a current owner you can likely spot a good/bad one and for what price is ideal. Often you can get good ones for cheap, people just want to get rid of them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts