Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, Team ChargePoint here!

We’ve recently joined the community and we're thrilled to be here taking part in the discussions around EVs!

If you’re not yet familiar with ChargePoint, we’re the world's largest electric vehicle charging network. You’ve probably seen our charging spots around town, but you might not know we offer charging for homes, apartment complexes and condos, too.

We’re here to be a resource to everyone looking for advice, informed opinions, information about EV charging and all the new and exciting things happening in this space.

Looking forward to joining the conversation and can’t wait to meet you all!

- Team ChargePoint

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Put 2 (or 3) DCFC stations in WV! Morgantown first, Charleston second, Beckley a possible third. One in Parkersburg would help all I-77 drivers going north or south! Make some of the city fathers (or businesses) an offer they can't refuse! This would serve not only all West Virginians, but also many EV drivers in OH, PA, MD, VA, and KY!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Awesome! My #1 request: MORE STATIONS & MORE THAN ONE PER LOCATION PLEASE! :D

I used a chargepoint station on our vacation this past week with my Bolt EV. Got a "fault error 64" about halfway through. I was able to restart the charge by unplugging/replugging & it went. On the way home, another Bolt was parked on the phone with you guys... the same station was in some emergency fault mode & wouldn't work at all... confident it is getting resolved, though.

Anyway, you guys are part of the electric car revolution & the more stations you guys get, the faster the world can switch over. Thank you for stopping in here!

·
Registered
19 Posts
My #1 request is to stop installing 24,000 watt DCFC stations and install som actual DCFC stations at 50,000 watts or more and you need more than one in most locations!
24kW stations are better than no station. I hope if a 24kW station has to be added, it can be upgraded to 50kW or more later.

My order of priority: do whatever you can to get more stations at more locations, spaced out evenly -- even if it means you have to make some 24kW stations temporarily. Then, get them updated to 50kW, then support more than 1 vehicle at each location.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Order of thigns

1. More Charegepoint DCFC in areas without any.
2. More 50kW+ in areas with DCFC (reduces time at chargers)
3. More Chargers per location (Not sharing the same source)

·
Super Moderator
2,548 Posts
I've got a question for Charge Point person, Why can't all EVs charge like Teslas can on the their Supercharger network? Is it because the manufacturers are too lame to build this capability into their cars? Is it because the charging station people are too lame to provide this capability? Is it because both the manufacturers and the charging network people are too lame to talk to each other and work this stuff out?? Why can Tesla crank out an awesome network while the non Tesla owners have to deal with pathetic 22 amp chargers at the back of the strip mall that may or may not even work?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put 2 (or 3) DCFC stations in WV! Morgantown first, Charleston second, Beckley a possible third. One in Parkersburg would help all I-77 drivers going north or south! Make some of the city fathers (or businesses) an offer they can't refuse! This would serve not only all West Virginians, but also many EV drivers in OH, PA, MD, VA, and KY!
Awesome! My #1 request: MORE STATIONS & MORE THAN ONE PER LOCATION PLEASE! :D

I used a chargepoint station on our vacation this past week with my Bolt EV. Got a "fault error 64" about halfway through. I was able to restart the charge by unplugging/replugging & it went. On the way home, another Bolt was parked on the phone with you guys... the same station was in some emergency fault mode & wouldn't work at all... confident it is getting resolved, though.

Anyway, you guys are part of the electric car revolution & the more stations you guys get, the faster the world can switch over. Thank you for stopping in here!
24kW stations are better than no station. I hope if a 24kW station has to be added, it can be upgraded to 50kW or more later.

My order of priority: do whatever you can to get more stations at more locations, spaced out evenly -- even if it means you have to make some 24kW stations temporarily. Then, get them updated to 50kW, then support more than 1 vehicle at each location.
Order of thigns

1. More Charegepoint DCFC in areas without any.
2. More 50kW+ in areas with DCFC (reduces time at chargers)
3. More Chargers per location (Not sharing the same source)

Wow, thank you all for the warm welcome!

We're still learning the features of the forum - can you provide any tips on where you view notifications here? Can't seem to find them :)

I see there are a lot of requests for stations! We would love to help get stations near you. Just fill out our station request form anytime you think of a spot, and we'll try to get in touch with the right people to make it happen! We're not able to post links yet, but you'll find it by visiting the ChargePoint site > EV Drivers > Request a Station.

·
Registered
861 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome! Could you please look into putting a DC fast charger either in Rochester or LaCrosse?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
There are no fast CP chargers anywhere in the area I operate in. There is no CP app for Windows phone either. The card malfunctioned and was never replaced (although it somehow started working again).

On a positive note, we had a lovely rain a few days ago, and the grass is green once again. Yesterday I made a really great moussaka - all vegetarian - with Israeli sheep cheese. We are probably going get a kitty towards the end of August.

·
Super Moderator
2,028 Posts

We’ve recently joined the community and we're thrilled to be here taking part in the discussions around EVs!

If you’re not yet familiar with ChargePoint, we’re the world's largest electric vehicle charging network. You’ve probably seen our charging spots around town, but you might not know we offer charging for homes, apartment complexes and condos, too.

We’re here to be a resource to everyone looking for advice, informed opinions, information about EV charging and all the new and exciting things happening in this space.

- Team ChargePoint
When will you start deploying fast charging stations that can charge faster than 50 kW/125A?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Doing deals at the corporate level

- Team ChargePoint
Hey Team ChargePoint,

Welcome to the forum! Thanks wanting to integrate into the conversations that serious EV owners are having - I think the collaboration will prove beneficial to both parties :)

In that context, I have a suggestion - maybe you guys are already doing this - but making deals directly with the corporate authorities for hotels (like Marriott, Holiday Inn, etc) or restaurants would be a great start to get many EV charging locations up and running. They would also be strategic locations as we can charge overnight while staying at the hotel or for a short time while eating at the restaurant. The point is - a larger corporate relationship will ensure that most/all of their locations will have the chargers. Also, there are several rest and service areas along the freeways (for example, the I-95 corridor in the northeast) which already have gas pumps - those would be great locations for EV charging spots as well. There are a few spots like this, but having them at all the service stops will make long distance trips a breeze and a lot more easy to plan! Thinking big and getting a leg up in the game will not only encourage more EVs purchases, but also be a fantastic business model for you guys as the disrupters in an emerging field!

Looking forward to a future with EV chargers in several strategic locations >:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I've got a question for Charge Point person, Why can't all EVs charge like Teslas can on the their Supercharger network? Is it because the manufacturers are too lame to build this capability into their cars? Is it because the charging station people are too lame to provide this capability? Is it because both the manufacturers and the charging network people are too lame to talk to each other and work this stuff out?? Why can Tesla crank out an awesome network while the non Tesla owners have to deal with pathetic 22 amp chargers at the back of the strip mall that may or may not even work?
@bro1999

Tesla models are amazing! However, most EVs are limited in how fast they can charge depending on the hardware in the car. The Bolt, for example, charges at a max of 80 kW according to their manual, whereas the max for Tesla models is higher depending on the battery pack version.

Earlier this year at CES we announced ChargePoint Express Plus stations, which can deliver up to 400 kW - we're excited and prepared for cars that will be coming out with fast charging speeds in the near future! You can find more on that announcement here (you'll have to copy/paste)
bit.ly/chargepointExpressPlus :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are no fast CP chargers anywhere in the area I operate in. There is no CP app for Windows phone either. The card malfunctioned and was never replaced (although it somehow started working again).
Welcome! Could you please look into putting a DC fast charger either in Rochester or LaCrosse?

@Dimitrij @jesse Our station request form was shared in an earlier comment up-thread (thank you @DucRider for linking it for us!) Request a station in a location you'd like and our team will get to work at trying to make it happen!

Also, @Dimitriji, I'll send your feedback about the Windows app to the team and please reach out to our support team if you'd like to have a new card sent to you, they'd be happy to help! support @ chargepoint.com

Hey Team ChargePoint,

Welcome to the forum! Thanks wanting to integrate into the conversations that serious EV owners are having - I think the collaboration will prove beneficial to both parties :)

In that context, I have a suggestion - maybe you guys are already doing this - but making deals directly with the corporate authorities for hotels (like Marriott, Holiday Inn, etc) or restaurants would be a great start to get many EV charging locations up and running. They would also be strategic locations as we can charge overnight while staying at the hotel or for a short time while eating at the restaurant. The point is - a larger corporate relationship will ensure that most/all of their locations will have the chargers. Also, there are several rest and service areas along the freeways (for example, the I-95 corridor in the northeast) which already have gas pumps - those would be great locations for EV charging spots as well. There are a few spots like this, but having them at all the service stops will make long distance trips a breeze and a lot more easy to plan! Thinking big and getting a leg up in the game will not only encourage more EVs purchases, but also be a fantastic business model for you guys as the disrupters in an emerging field!

Looking forward to a future with EV chargers in several strategic locations >:)
Fantastic suggestion and thank you for the kind words! We currently have a program in place, ChargePoint Places, where we partner with destinations to provide charging stations to their customers. Additionally, there are currently charging stations with ChargePoint connectivity already installed in many public and private settings like shopping malls, restaurants, hospitals, government buildings, school campuses, and hotel chains (Marriott, Hyatt, Sheraton - to name a few).

Check out our station location map on our app or website to see what's available at destinations you're planning to visit, and if there isn't a ChargePoint station already there, please request a station on our website!

·
Banned
350 Posts
I'd like to see more L3 chargers that enable access to our National Parks. For example, Crater Lake in Oregon is pretty much out of EV reach unless you drive a Tesla, and L2 stations are useless, unless in hotels for an overnight charge.

And Please don't bother installing 25kW stations. Make your quick chargers charge quickly.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Charge Point,
Your Paso Robles 25k fast charge is mid-state California, about half way between Santa Barbara/Ventura and and Salinas/Bay area, But not a 100/125 amp like EVgo, so every one stops in SLO (San luis Opispo).
Upgrade this station, or build a better one close. Recent trips left me no option but to use other higher power stations, since on a road trip time is at essence and 25kw stations are too slow for a fast stop, compared to real high KW fast charge stations.
I really have liked an used your service in the last few years, it is a pity to see you fall behind.
Best of Luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hope ChargePoint or someone else can build-out a few stations between Portland, OR and Bellingham, WA. There are a few pretty big gaps between those destinations. Just two chargers between Portland and Tacoma and nothing north of Marysville, WA.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts
About this Discussion
135 Replies
60 Participants
sly
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing