Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Yes, I heard that the cost depends on the property where the charger is installed at. One of my employer's locations offers free charging for the first hour, and then charge by the hour for the time the charger is left plugged in past the free hour.
I have listened to many webinars on commercial EVSE. The format of “first hour (or 2) free” is fairly common. It’s purpose is not to draw you in, but to deter camping in the space. To this end, the prices for extended charging may be disproportionately high. We are installing (within the next 7 days) the first EVSE (2 spaces, 2 plugs) at Marshall University. Charging is free, but the (44 space) lot is not AND it has a two hour limit. Campus police monitor those EV spaces exactly as the others. The pricing schema is EVSE owner (not manufacturer OR network) dependent.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Happy New Year everyone!

2018 brings with it new features for the ChargePoint app, and a new integration for ChargePoint Home with Amazon Echo!

Here's a quick summary via Engadget.

Also, we've recently introduced station photos on the ChargePoint app, and an option to be notified when a spot opens up for busy stations. We hope these new features make it even easier for drivers to find stations, charge up and get updates on their charging status.

You'll find everything you need to know about voice control through Alexa, and the new app features over on the ChargePoint Blog!

Cheers,

Ro H.
ChargePoint Community

·
Registered
105 Posts
Free charging options and charge locations not listed on app.

Hello,
Really glad you are here ... thanks for being part of the community.

I discovered multiple ChargePoint chargers at a local to my work business but they were not listed on the App map. Was pleasantly surprised that they are free (for the first 2 hours).

Why wouldn't these show on the map?
& am I missing more options and better yet more free options?

Target store / shopping center in Fremont CA, Christie St just off of Auto Mall

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Hello,
Really glad you are here ... thanks for being part of the community.

I discovered multiple ChargePoint chargers at a local to my work business but they were not listed on the App map. Was pleasantly surprised that they are free (for the first 2 hours).

Why wouldn't these show on the map?
& am I missing more options and better yet more free options?

Target store / shopping center in Fremont CA, Christie St just off of Auto Mall
Hi! ChargePoint stations are independently owned, so the station owner does have the option to display or hide their locations on the map, which might be what happened in your scenario. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
We're proud to announce that ChargePoint has now been listed in the Global Cleantech 100 seven times, making us the first EV charging company to be inducted into the Cleantech Group Hall of Fame. We will continue to work with other industry leaders to enable clean transportation.

·
Registered
574 Posts
In my area (the San Francisco Bay Area), the rates at public ChargePoint charging stations appear to be much cheaper than the Blink charging stations. Chargepoint stations look like they are around 35 cents per kWh, while the Blink stations appear to be around 54 cents per kWh. There are also far more ChargePoint stations than Blink stations.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
In my area (the San Francisco Bay Area), the rates at public ChargePoint charging stations appear to be much cheaper than the Blink charging stations. Chargepoint stations look like they are around 35 cents per kWh, while the Blink stations appear to be around 54 cents per kWh. There are also far more ChargePoint stations than Blink stations.
The price at ChargePoint stations depends on where you go - because it depends on the owner of the station. ChargePoint sells, installs, and "adds to their network" DCFCs - the entity who paid for it determines the pricing.

For example, the (~ 50 kW) ChargePoint Express 200 DCFCs at :
- Danville (east bay) : $0.30/kWh
- Saratoga (South Bay) : $10/hr (about : $0.22/kWh @45 kW)
- Mountain View (NASA-Ames, South Bay/South Peninsula - *8* units) : $0.25/min (about : $0.32/kWh @45 kW)
- San Mateo (West Bay/Peninsula - *4* units) : $0.25/kWh
- Point Richmond (North-East bay) : *FREE*

For example, the (~ 24 kW) ChargePoint Express 100 DCFCs at :
- Walnut Creek (east bay) : $0.20/min (about : $0.55/kWh @22 kW)
- Oakland (east bay) : $0.18/kWh
- San Jose (south bay) : $0.20/min (about : $0.55/kWh @22 kW)
- Morgan Hill (south south bay) : $0.25/kWh
- San Francisco : $02.00/hr (about : $0.09/kWh @22 kW)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi ChargePoint:

I'd like to suggest you try to begin installing DCFC units at service plazas along the turnpike system in eastern and mid-US: Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois. There is a service plaza every 30 - 40 miles or so, and having chargers in them would make long-distance EV travel much less difficult along those routes. Currently EV drivers have to pay toll and exit the turnpikes in order to find a charging station, a great inconvenience. Try approaching Starbucks--there is a Starbucks in nearly every plaza--about a partnership. You know, "juice your car, juice yourself." You could also approach the various gas stations along the way for possible partnerships.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes! I'd like to see every plaza on e.g. the 95 corridor have at least 4 high-amperage DCFC ports, but enabling major turnpikes/thruways (Mass Pike, NYS Thruway all the way to Buffalo, etc) and increasing reach towards the middle of the country would be excellent.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #113

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
What makes people 6X more likely to drive electric? Access to EV charging at work.

60% of workplace drivers surveyed at a Fortune 500 company said they are likely to switch to EVs if workplace charging becomes available. – ChargePoint survey data.

Here’s how employers can make it happen - our 6 tips to bring EV charging to your workplace, on the ChargePoint blog.

The problem with workplace charging is the need to go move the EV after a time. Unless every EV driver has his/her own charging/parking place, you may get 2 or 4 hours, but RARELY will get 8 hours to squat, especially if you get to “full”!

·
Registered
271 Posts
The problem with workplace charging is the need to go move the EV after a time. Unless every EV driver has his/her own charging/parking place, you may get 2 or 4 hours, but RARELY will get 8 hours to squat, especially if you get to “full”!
With selective placement you might be able to charge more than one car from one charger. For example, with perpendicular parking and a charger in the "corner" (the cross between the four spaces), you might be able to reach as many as four cars with one handle. Then each car could get 2-3 hours each just by one person moving a handle occasionally. I'd be ok with that. And I'd be willing to give up a few mins of lunch to swap spots. And remember to disable the charger theft alarm :)

The next trick would be to create some workplace guidelines/etiquette for when a car can be disconnected, etc. If there are eight EV's and four spots, then an odd/even date schedule? But that's all policy.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It wouldn't work. No Etiquette will work when you have Volts and Bolts and Leaf and Cmax all wanting to charge when the Leaf and Bolt NEED to charge but the others have gas to get home.

It just happens. Even I have those thoughts.
Like I would Gladly give up my charger for a Leaf to get charged but NOT a Volt or Cmax or any other hybrid.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
It wouldn't work. No Etiquette will work when you have Volts and Bolts and Leaf and Cmax all wanting to charge when the Leaf and Bolt NEED to charge but the others have gas to get home.

Like I would Gladly give up my charger for a Leaf to get charged but NOT a Volt or Cmax or any other hybrid.

I think (thought) the thread was about at-work, often free, "convenience" charging. PHEVs have as much of a right to charge as BEVs. If you are paying for it, you can stay as long as you need the 'lektrons' but unplug and move ASAP when you are charged, just like any other commercial EVSE. No "squatting". Etiquette is good, but there are different "etiquettes" for different charging scenarios.

·
Registered
271 Posts

I'm coming at this from a point where I have no workplace charging and can still get back home, so I don't really NEED the charge either. Nor would I want to rely on workplace charging. I'm imagining what would happen if the charger broke - still need to get home so I wouldn't want to work more than half driving range away from home - so for me that's ~70 miles (winter sucks). Actually, wouldn't want to drive that far even with an ICE car.

All that said, I wouldn't mind giving up my charge time to a PHEV. I hope that it means they visit a gas station less often. It's just my opinion, but the more electrons the better. And I still think this could be handled with policies. Prioritize BEV's maybe? Give them a 2:1 charge time ratio over PHEV? If I'm not mistaken and as long as it isn't really cold we should be able to draw almost 50 miles of "warm" range in two hours of charging.

My opinions are skewed by my workplace. We have the four-way lot option, and already have a security camera monitoring it making it trivial to figure out if/who isn't following a policy (unplugging a car inappropriately).

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Hey ChargePoint team great to see you here. Always good to see major vendors involving themselves in owner communities.

I have a question and I just skimmed this thread and didn't see this answered.

As a new Bolt owner what are the advantages of a ChargePoint Home EVSE compared to the competition such as for example the JuiceBox Pro. Both seem to have a similar feature set and price point.

101 - 120 of 136 Posts
About this Discussion
135 Replies
60 Participants
sly
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing