Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
It wouldn't work. No Etiquette will work when you have Volts and Bolts and Leaf and Cmax all wanting to charge when the Leaf and Bolt NEED to charge but the others have gas to get home.

It just happens. Even I have those thoughts.
Like I would Gladly give up my charger for a Leaf to get charged but NOT a Volt or Cmax or any other hybrid.
The etiquette is "first come, first served" and "no squatting" (move ASAP when full). It doesn't what type of EV it is.

I know an employer in Silicon Valley that often places charging stations between two rows of parking spaces which are reserved for EVs (i.e., if you drive front-in, the charge plugs are between the two vehicles' hoods, and both vehicles share the same plug). So they have almost twice as many parking spots as they do plugs available. Company policy is that it is OK to unplug another vehicle if it is fully charged (you have to agree to that). Also, a lot of employees put up signs that say "it is OK to unplug me if XXX" (such as "once the 2nd light indicating SoC has turned solid" on LEAFs). It works just fine. There is also an "understanding" that if when you arrive there is no plug available and you need a charge, you leave the charge door open. When somebody close-by unplugs their car, they will plug your vehicle in without you having to be there.

Of course, we are all granola-crunching hippies who are so laid back that we wouldn't even notice if anybody had unplugged our car, so ...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks, Chargepoint, for getting someone to purchase the new higher power DCFC unit in Redding, CA! Price on it set by client is sort of steep at 30 cents/kWh but it's high power (less time to charge and it gives a key redundant DCFC for this area).

CEC CORRIDOR
TARGET DCFC
1280 Dana Dr
Redding, CA

DC Fast, CHAdeMO / Combo, 50.0 kW

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Hey ChargePoint team great to see you here. Always good to see major vendors involving themselves in owner communities.

I have a question and I just skimmed this thread and didn't see this answered.

As a new Bolt owner what are the advantages of a ChargePoint Home EVSE compared to the competition such as for example the JuiceBox Pro. Both seem to have a similar feature set and price point.

Hi there! The ChargePoint Home is also Energy Star certified and integrates with Nest and Amazon Echo. Many of our drivers love those features, though the choice will always depend on your individual household needs and longterm EV purchasing plans. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
We've recently released our annual Charging Forward Report (our state of the industry report).
Here's where you can download the full report.

Charging Forward provides a vivid snapshot of the state of electric mobility, tracks the growth of EV charging and mass EV adoption, and paints a picture of what’s to come in electric mobility, utilities, fleets, vehicle technology and more.

In addition to taking a look back at the year before, the Charging Forward report takes a look forward, making several predictions about what’s to come in the world of e-mobility.

By 2020, we're estimating that more than three million public charging spots will be installed globally, supporting the mass adoption of electric vehicles around the world. As electric infrastructure grows, utilities and automakers will explore new business models that reflect the new realities and technologies associated with e-mobility.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
We've recently released our annual Charging Forward Report (our state of the industry report).
Here's where you can download the full report.

Charging Forward provides a vivid snapshot of the state of electric mobility, tracks the growth of EV charging and mass EV adoption, and paints a picture of what’s to come in electric mobility, utilities, fleets, vehicle technology and more.

In addition to taking a look back at the year before, the Charging Forward report takes a look forward, making several predictions about what’s to come in the world of e-mobility.

By 2020, we're estimating that more than three million public charging spots will be installed globally, supporting the mass adoption of electric vehicles around the world. As electric infrastructure grows, utilities and automakers will explore new business models that reflect the new realities and technologies associated with e-mobility.

Our Charging Forward report is now interactive!

Everywhere a driver parks becomes an opportunity to charge, and considering that most cars are parked more than 90% of the time, that’s a lot of charging!

Choose a time of day on the slider at the link to see where EV drivers are charging.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Team Chargepoint!! I live in Toronto and have just ordered a Bolt. That was relatively easy compared to trying to pick a charger for it. Right now I am looking at either a Chargepoint or an EV Duty. Would love to hear why you think I should go with your product. My charger will be located outside on a north facing wall and I would probably prefer to have it hardwired so it is more secure.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Chargepoint,

Hi. Can you help us understand what the heck is going on with all the Chargepoint DCFC's from Red Bluff North to Oregon; these are the new units which (except for Redding) have all been taken offline in the last two weeks. In fact the one in Red Bluff isn't even showing up in Plugshare. Do you have a timeline on when these units will be fixed? This is a huge / major issue for anyone travelling or hoping to travel up to Oregon from Northern CA or vice versa.

Thanks for any detailed info you can provide.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Lol Hi chargepoint; people do have expectations on these things even if they are "free". I have had a very mixed experience with charge point in the year I've had my EV. I suggest a set of standards as part of Your agreements with station owners.
#1 . Standard required signage so ICE cars don't block (a big sign mentioning towing at the car owner's expense would likely help alleviate that a LOT).
#2 . Standard required amps so those who use the stations know how many miles they might get - some of the stations Kroger Grocery near Dallas TX limited to 16 amps. Disappointing and barely worth the trouble.
#3 . Standard required that the Station owner gets the station activated or repaired in about a week otherwise they sign up to agree to hefty charges (no pun intended) by Chargepoint Since they are out of compliance and thus harming the Chargepoint brand. Believe me this effects customer's perception in a very Negative way.
For every positive I've had I've experienced the above including a station that was installed but not activated for Almost SIX MONTHS! Best Buy, Lubbock TX. These situations not working Chargers, ICE Blocked Chargers, Slow Chargers definitely can make EV driving a hassle at times! One time a Security Guard tried to run me off of one of the Chargepoint DCFC's in Kerrville, TX even while I was using it and paying for a session JUST BECAUSE IT WAS AT NIGHT. Now I doubt I am going to make that trip again or use that charger again.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I mentioned it in the tips on the app, but I am SO happy that they finally put up tow away warning signs in front of the charger close to the Cellphone Lot near the Austin international airport. Nice to be able to actually use the station rather than waiting for someone to move their SUV.

·
Registered
52 Posts
wish I would have gotten a 20% discount on my ChargePoint home! But, loving the charger and data it delivers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello ChargePoint … I'm a member! Glad you are here! I sure would like to see more charging stations in Oregon, specifically some L3 stations on the Oregon Coast and in Central and Eastern Oregon. Those areas are almost dead zones for EVs. I recently had to spend 5 hours on an L2 charger in Central Oregon … not fun!

121 - 136 of 136 Posts
About this Discussion
135 Replies
60 Participants
sly
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing