Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not an owner...yet. Test drove the Bolt last night and am overly impressed at it and am shocked how much I loved it. I had my money down on a Tesla Model 3 and have even considered the i3 and the Leaf...but after driving the Bolt....I don't think there is even a question as to which one I want now. With that being said, I am hoping to get some help from a current owner in the Colorado are. I have some questions about the Bolt. If you are in the CO area, I would greatly appreciate you chiming in.

Hope that this community is as great as some of the other groups I have been a part of.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Br4hm4!

I'm happy owner of the Bolt EV for 2 moths. I live in Colorado Springs and would be glad to answer any questions / share my opinions about this car!

Kosta

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Br4hm4!

I'm happy owner of the Bolt EV for 2 moths. I live in Colorado Springs and would be glad to answer any questions / share my opinions about this car!

Kosta
Excellent! Quick couple of questions...who did you buy it from? Are you buying or leasing? How did the CO tax credit work? :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought it from the Mike Maroone North.
Paid cash. Got 4K below MSRP.
Colorado now has 5K tax rebate for EV cars, but when buying I have to wait until next year to file my taxes and get rebate.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought it from the Mike Maroone North.
Paid cash. Got 4K below MSRP.
Colorado now has 5K tax rebate for EV cars, but when buying I have to wait until next year to file my taxes and get rebate.
Ok thanks. So the rebate is a given but have to wait till you file...and as far as the federal tax credit...that is pretty much apply for it and see what happens?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Ok thanks. So the rebate is a given but have to wait till you file...and as far as the federal tax credit...that is pretty much apply for it and see what happens?
Form:
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdf
Instructions:
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8936.pdf

You won't have to wait and see what happens. It is part of your tax return and you will know when you complete your taxes how much of the $7,500 you will be able to use. Worst case scenario is that you get back every penny of Federal Withholding you paid in.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Form:
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdf
Instructions:
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8936.pdf

You won't have to wait and see what happens. It is part of your tax return and you will know when you complete your taxes how much of the $7,500 you will be able to use. Worst case scenario is that you get back every penny of Federal Withholding you paid in.
Another question I have is, how close is Chevy to hitting that magic number where incentives are "no longer" available?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there, I'm a Bolt owner in Denver, have had the car about a month. Also happy to answer questions. Looks like there's good info already on the tax credits/etc (thank you!).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi there, I'm a Bolt owner in Denver, have had the car about a month. Also happy to answer questions. Looks like there's good info already on the tax credits/etc (thank you!).
Who did you purchase through? I have been talking to Stevinson Chevy in Lakewood, but they haven't been really good about communicating. Hope it's not an indication of how they are normally as a dealership.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Another question I have is, how close is Chevy to hitting that magic number where incentives are "no longer" available?
GM is nowhere near the 200,000 vehicle sales figure triggering a (phased) reduction in Federal tax credit. Tesla WILL reach it this year, before the 300,000 Model 3s they have on deposited order are manufactured and sold. Most all of the Model 3 buyers will get some credit, just not the full $7500.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GM is nowhere near the 200,000 vehicle sales figure triggering a (phased) reduction in Federal tax credit. Tesla WILL reach it this year, before the 300,000 Model 3s they have on deposited order are manufactured and sold. Most all of the Model 3 buyers will get some credit, just not the full $7500.
Are Hybrids figured in to the numbers? I am trying to figure out if the bolt is something I can wait for (better incentives, end of year deals before taxes need to be filed) or do I just pull the trigger and get it now. If it's something I can sit on for a few months then I will probably look at purchasing before the end of the year.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just read this and it concerns me a little as far as the timing of buying a Bolt...sooner than later:

"According to WardsAuto data, GM has delivered 150,051 PHEVs in the U.S. since Jan 1, 2010, when counting began for the credits. "

Looks like Tesla isn't too far behind them at 132K delivered. Nissan sitting on 113K delivered now.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I just read this and it concerns me a little as far as the timing of buying a Bolt...sooner than later:

"According to WardsAuto data, GM has delivered 150,051 PHEVs in the U.S. since Jan 1, 2010, when counting began for the credits. "

Looks like Tesla isn't too far behind them at 132K delivered. Nissan sitting on 113K delivered now.
GM could sell 50K Bolts/Volts this month and you would still be able to file for the full $7500 Tax Credit.

The qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GM could sell 50K Bolts/Volts this month and you would still be able to file for the full $7500 Tax Credit.
Ok, that is more assuring. I thought it was an immediate phase out so $7500 up to 200K, then $3750 immediately after. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts

Hybrids ARE counted, ergo GM with many VOLTS, is just at 150K. ~10,000 Bolts were sold in 8 months (Dec. through July). Will they sell 50K Bolts & Volts in the next year? I seriously doubt it. I think one can afford to wait, although there is buzz that GM may not make a 2018 version that is any different, i.e. still a 2017 Bolt. Or, they make minimal changes that did not justify the wait. Unless you are willing to wait until October 2018 for a 2019 model, you may as well buy now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Who did you purchase through? I have been talking to Stevinson Chevy in Lakewood, but they haven't been really good about communicating. Hope it's not an indication of how they are normally as a dealership.
I went through Ed Bozarth in Aurora. I would not recommend this dealership -- they were not terribly knowledgeable about the Bolt and were also not great communicators. Love the car, though!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts