Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my name is Chris and I bought a Premier pkg Bolt yesterday. I’ve had a 2015 leaf for the past two year as my only car and I live in Colorado at about 7,000 ft and am beyond happy to have the extra range!

For my first day I took a short drive to run a favorite nearby trail to test the Bolt’s efficiency on our local mountain roads. The route was only about 15 miles each way, but went from 7k to just over 10k in elevation with lots of ups and downs as well as some high winds and areas with some snow. I had the dealer move my studded tires from my Leaf to the Bolt, so the snowy climbs were fine. End result, using L1 and the paddle regen on the steep downs the Bolt seems to be much more efficient than the Leaf and more fun to drive.

I already have 240/32amp home charging, but I may get the Tesla UMC and the J1772 adapter so I can use Tesla destination chargers at the various ski resorts in Colorado. I also am used to the Leafspy app to view detailed battery stats, including percent of charge and am interested to see if there is an equivalent for the Bolt.

Looking forward to searching through the forums and learning more about this car The extra range, pep, super regen, and Apple CarPlay are already big wins for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi all, my name is Chris and I bought a Premier pkg Bolt yesterday. I’ve had a 2015 leaf for the past two year as my only car and I live in Colorado at about 7,000 ft and am beyond happy to have the extra range!

For my first day I took a short drive to run a favorite nearby trail to test the Bolt’s efficiency on our local mountain roads. The route was only about 15 miles each way, but went from 7k to just over 10k in elevation with lots of ups and downs as well as some high winds and areas with some snow. I had the dealer move my studded tires from my Leaf to the Bolt, so the snowy climbs were fine. End result, using L1 and the paddle regen on the steep downs the Bolt seems to be much more efficient than the Leaf and more fun to drive.

I already have 240/32amp home charging, but I may get the Tesla UMC and the J1772 adapter so I can use Tesla destination chargers at the various ski resorts in Colorado. I also am used to the Leafspy app to view detailed battery stats, including percent of charge and am interested to see if there is an equivalent for the Bolt.

Looking forward to searching through the forums and learning more about this car The extra range, pep, super regen, and Apple CarPlay are already big wins for me.
Enjoy, this is a great car. Your idea about an equivalent to Leafspy for battery stats is an excellent idea.

You'll find that driving rain, and driving like a bat out of h#!! will also adversely affect mileage. But since you have had a Leaf this may be redundant verbiage. Have found the J1772 adapter very useful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congratulations! What's all that white stuff?
Thanks! Around here it means ski season and tourist dollars, so it's a good thing.

Great picture! Congrats and welcome aboard! Think snow... just not too much of it!
I'm loving the Bolt so far. Lots of people from Denver metro area come up here to ski, etc and it's fun to see the looks on their faces when they see a pure EV at somewhat remote trailheads, especially in the winter.

Enjoy, this is a great car. Your idea about an equivalent to Leafspy for battery stats is an excellent idea.

You'll find that driving rain, and driving like a bat out of h#!! will also adversely affect mileage. But since you have had a Leaf this may be redundant verbiage. Have found the J1772 adapter very useful.
It sounds like I can get battery percentage with Torque Pro via bluetooth, which is great since nearly all of my driving (and my home's location) is in areas with zero cell coverage so the Chevy app isn't usable. That should do for now as the guess-o-meter is pretty useless when driving in the mountains.

At least now I have the option to drive like a bat out of h#!! and not end up dead on the side of the road. >:)

Thanks for the welcomes. The forum search has been a great help already!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Huh, your dealer has a neat idea of putting your temp license in the actual license bracket. I've always seen the "printout in the window" version.

Oh, and congratulations!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts