Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Hello from DaV8or!

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  DaV8or 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Not new to forums and have lurked here a little. I am going to order a Bolt next month so I thought I might as well participate and perhaps stir it up a little. My reasons to buy the Bolt, or any EV is perhaps different than some.

I'm not buying it to save the environment, or slow down climate change. I'm not buying it to reduce dependence on foreign oil, I'm not buying it to stick it to the oil companies, I'm not buying it for some unicorn fantasy of saving money and I'm not buying it to be hip, trendy and cutting edge.

I'm buying it because I firmly believe that an electric car is just flat, plain and simple, a better car.

The only disadvantage the Bolt has compared to all the other vehicles I've owned is, it is a PITA to drive it on a long cross country. Not impossible, just a PITA. IMO, this downside is far out weighed by it's upside and as EVs are more and more adopted, I expect this cross country problem to eventually become resolved. Besides, I have other cars.

For me the Bolt finally hit the sweet spot of price/performance/utility that is causing me to pull the trigger.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi all,

Not new to forums and have lurked here a little. I am going to order a Bolt next month so I thought I might as well participate and perhaps stir it up a little. My reasons to buy the Bolt, or any EV is perhaps different than some.

I'm not buying it to save the environment, or slow down climate change. I'm not buying it to reduce dependence on foreign oil, I'm not buying it to stick it to the oil companies, I'm not buying it for some unicorn fantasy of saving money and I'm not buying it to be hip, trendy and cutting edge.

I'm buying it because I firmly believe that an electric car is just flat, plain and simple, a better car.

The only disadvantage the Bolt has compared to all the other vehicles I've owned is, it is a PITA to drive it on a long cross country. Not impossible, just a PITA. IMO, this downside is far out weighed by it's upside and as EVs are more and more adopted, I expect this cross country problem to eventually become resolved. Besides, I have other cars.

For me the Bolt finally hit the sweet spot of price/performance/utility that is causing me to pull the trigger.
This is what I like to see, someone genuinely open about their choice. I hate when people go to buy these and their reasoning is because they want to save the environment or screw the oil companies. No, that's not why you're doing it, stop lying to yourself.

Welcome to the forums, is this your first EV and what are you driving currently ?

#4 ·
This will be my first EV. Nothing until now really worked for me. Price, range and cargo space sells the Bolt to me. I have several vehicles, but the one the Bolt would be replacing would be my 2001 Ford Focus Wagon.

The Focus is my commuter and work car that I regularly use to haul a lot of stuff. It turns out the Bolt and the Focus Wagon have almost the exact same cargo capacity with the seats down. Just the packaging is a little different. The Bolt is shorter and taller. I would prefer long and low, but I have now seen the Bolt with my own eyes and can say that I can make it work.

#8 ·
It's been widely accepted for over a century that the best way to power a vehicle is an electric motor. Any vehicle. That's why you don't see examples of gasoline powered elevators. That would be an inferior, dumb idea.

The problem has always been and continues to be, portable electricity. There's a reason electric cars weren't adopted back at the turn of the 20th century. The best we could come up with was lead acid batteries and they just didn't cut it.

Batteries are better now, but 50, 80, 100 miles of range?? That just doesn't cut it for me. Tesla came out with a 200 mile + EV, but I'm no millionaire. Now GM has brought an EV that works for me within my reach.

It's a better car because of the lower maintenance. It's simple in some ways and that should equate to less failure points. I think I will enjoy the linear power and instant torque. A quiet ride is a good ride. Absolute silence at traffic lights. I'm guessing less vibration too. No exhaust fumes wafting in the windows in summer. No stupid biannual smog inspection. Lower cost per mile (not including purchase price). No visits to the gas station.

Oh yeah, a nice bonus, but not on my radar as a reason to buy the Bolt, I will get to drive in the carpool lane by myself anytime I want! Sweet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.