Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've put my down payment on a 2018 bolt Lt. I got one of two of their allotment. Delivery is said to be around November, but seeing the times other Canadians have waited, I am a bit skeptical on the eta.

I had a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to with research so far.

As I live in Canada, I'll be driving in the cold. My workplace doesn't have a charge point or an outlet available, and I am wondering if it will be ok if my car sits outside in sub-zero temperatures for 8+ hours. I read that once it drops below a certain temp it's good to keep it plugged in if not in use, and since that wont be an option for me, I got a little worried.

Will it be ok sitting outside in very cold weather or will I have to keep it at home on those days?

Thanks for your help, looking forward to my bolt ownership!

Dylan

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi and welcome! The dealers won't be making the orders for the 2018s until November-ish, manufacture is supposed to be in December, and deliveries by the new year. At least, this is what several gta dealers told me before I put down my deposit last month.

While I can't directly comment on the Bolt in winter, the cold isn't "bad" for EVs but it will affect the range. Keeping it plugged in is to give power to the thermal management of the car, so you don't lose too much battery power. Also, the car may be able to precondition the interior, I.e., warming it up while plugged in so you won't have to use battery power to heat the interior when you drive off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I guess the salesman didn't have the info, or was afraid to tell me that it will be much past November until I get my car, which I assumed anyways. Hopefully my trusty old Honda makes it haha. Just happy my name is down for one, and I'll receive it at some point.

Until then I'll continue to watch every video and read every post from the lucky owners.

Thanks again, and happy to soon be part of this community.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi all,

I've put my down payment on a 2018 bolt Lt. I got one of two of their allotment. Delivery is said to be around November, but seeing the times other Canadians have waited, I am a bit skeptical on the eta.

I had a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to with research so far.

As I live in Canada, I'll be driving in the cold. My workplace doesn't have a charge point or an outlet available, and I am wondering if it will be ok if my car sits outside in sub-zero temperatures for 8+ hours. I read that once it drops below a certain temp it's good to keep it plugged in if not in use, and since that wont be an option for me, I got a little worried.

Will it be ok sitting outside in very cold weather or will I have to keep it at home on those days?

Dylan
Congrats on your purchase! As said before, they won't start making 2018's until December, so I'm wondering if your dealer actually had some 2017 allotments? If that's the case, it's very likely that you would get the car by November as they told you. I might give them a call too as wouldn't mind a 2017 instead of waiting until Feb or Spring for my 2018.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all,

Dylan
Congrats on your purchase! As said before, they won't start making 2018's until December, so I'm wondering if your dealer actually had some 2017 allotments? If that's the case, it's very likely that you would get the car by November as they told you. I might give them a call too as wouldn't mind a 2017 instead of waiting until Feb or Spring for my 2018.
Thank you!

I feel like there is a lot of miscommunication with the dealer, but from what I was told when I put my down payment down was that they sold their allotment of 2017s already which was a total of two, so the order I put in had to be for a 2018 model. Perhaps I'll chat with him again and try to get some clarification, but I think they just wanted to get my hopes up a bit haha. After he said November, he kept saying "you're going to need patience though". So who knows what that means...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Perhaps I'll chat with him again and try to get some clarification, but I think they just wanted to get my hopes up a bit haha. After he said November, he kept saying "you're going to need patience though". So who knows what that means...
Over in the Canadian Bolt Owners FB group, several members have reported that they put deposits on 2018s, expecting them in the new year, and had their dealers inform them their Bolts will be delivered in September! Certainly, these are not 2018s which still likely won't start manufacturing until December. But it looks like Canadian dealers are getting additional 2017 allotments, so it very well may be the case that your dealer will get more and you'll have a Bolt this year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Over in the Canadian Bolt Owners FB group, several members have reported that they put deposits on 2018s, expecting them in the new year, and had their dealers inform them their Bolts will be delivered in September! Certainly, these are not 2018s which still likely won't start manufacturing until December. But it looks like Canadian dealers are getting additional 2017 allotments, so it very well may be the case that your dealer will get more and you'll have a Bolt this year.
Yes, a member posted on FB that his 2018 order will be delivered in September, so I actually called today his dealer in St Catharines and asked if they have any extra allotments for 2017. The answer was no, they sold out since March and if I wanted to place an order will be delivered in Spring. I also talked to my my salesman from RoyFoss and he didn't know anything about extra allotments.
This whole thing is too frustrating...GM better get their **** together. Fast.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I lucked out today.
Someone over on Canadian Bolt Owners Facebook group posted about an available allotment for a 2017 at a Gatineau dealer. Called them early in the morning, by afternoon I payed a deposit over the phone and placed an order for a 2017 Bolt Premier, Nightfall Grey, Infotainment and Confidence Packages. Should be delivered around November, maybe October. Someone will actually drive the car halfway through and meet me in Belleville for delivery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts