Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased my Bolt (2017 LT, nightfall gray) less than two weeks ago and it already has more than 1,000 miles. (I commute often to a weekend house in Tennessee.) I drove a Nissan Leaf for two years on lease back when Georgia still had the $5,000 tax credit -- the Bolt's range makes it a much more practical car.

A local Chevy dealer made me a great deal on the car but it does not have the DC fast charging capability -- can said feature be added after the car has left the factory?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Congrats and Good luck with your new ride. I don't think that DC fast can be added without a whole lot of money and effort.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,719 Posts
The simple answer to this is "no". It may be why you got a great deal. There is enough Bolt experience in the US to see how much DCFC increases the utility of the EV. For $750 it was a great investment. I have already received over 10 free DCFC (and have paid for 2), some as long as 2 hours. The ability to fill (what I need) on a trip in one hour makes the Bolt with DCFC capability a traveling car and not just a commuting car. I would recommend getting a 240 volt EVSE which has a NEMA 14-50 plug and is light enough to be taken along. This way, at least, every RV park in the country (including all KoA Kampgrounds) is open to you for Level 2 charging.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Will be glad to see another Bolt running around in GA! Remember to check out the Georgia Power EV tariff at your home (1.4 cents/kwh, which, from other input on this board, seems to be the best incentive price for recharging in the US). Also there is a Georgia Power $250 rebate on putting a level 2 charger in your home. And the State, for $208 per year, will give you the license plate allowing free HOV lane use and a free Peach Pass for toll lanes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A local Chevy dealer made me a great deal on the car but it does not have the DC fast charging capability -- can said feature be added after the car has left the factory?
The simple answer to this is "no". It may be why you got a great deal.
Thanks much. At the time I purchased the car I didn't pay much attention because in two full years of driving the Leaf, I used a DC fast charger exactly once. For now the Bolt suits my needs (daily commuting plus some 300-odd miles per weekend) and it's pretty small for a serious road trip. I have an extra Level 2 charger I throw in the trunk with numerous adapters to fit most 240v plug configurations so grabbing a Level 2 charge is usually possible. And perhaps Chevy will eventually offer this option as an aftermarket add-on...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good to see another Bolt in GA / I live in north suburb of Atlanta and so far I have not seen a single Bolt in my area but there are still plenty of Leaf's around . I also had a leaf before getting this Bolt . And one similarity is the loss of mileage in cold weather , right now I am getting 220 miles after full charge when back in Sept it was 250-260 miles. Also remember to keep car plugged in when below 32 deg cause the car turns on battery heater which the leaf did not have , I was surprised to see my wall charger was on during the day when car was set to charge at night .

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Cherry Red
118 Posts
DCFC is a very important and useful utility, let us all know here if and when you add this after market necessity to your Bolt.

To date i am not aware of any after market upgrade to add DCFC to a Bolt.

Purchased my Bolt (2017 LT, nightfall gray) ...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hmm, another Bolt in Marietta. I saw a white one behind me the other day, didn't realize it until he turned away. Mine is orange. Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi guys, greetings from Roswell, GA. That is where I live.

To be honest, that is where I used to live back in '91 / '92 when I was doing my thesis at a local company. I got to enjoy the Atlanta area for about 11 months, and I enjoyed it very much! This was the season the Atlanta Braves made it to the World Series (for the first time since long or since forever?) They got beaten by the Minnesota Twins, 4 to 3, IIRC. I do remember the Braves had a homecoming as if they had won. While the Minnesota folks were punished heavily and had to shovel snow for 4 days or so ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.