Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm very interested in purchasing a new Bolt as soon as I am able in Illinois. If anyone lives in the St. Louis, Missouri area (Metro East, Illinois) and has recieved any information from IL dealerships, I'd appreciate the info. Currently trying to talk my wife into the idea. I currently have a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDi involved in the emissions scandal. It is a great car but VW will give me 16k to give it back. That plus the $7500 rebate for buying the bolt from the govt gives me a great opportunity to buy a bolt for under 16k. Looking forward to participating in this group as I am trying to learn as much about EV life as I can.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
It looks like Illinois should have them on the lot in July and you can order next month, but if you're desperate, there are dealers in California that will arrange shipment now. Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Welcome to the forum! If you're not in a rush to get a Bolt, then maybe you can use that extra waiting time to convince your wife and look into which EVSE you would want.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Welcome to the forums. In your situation, a Bolt could be great considering VW buying back your car. Do you think the range will be sufficient for your needs?

·
Registered
734 Posts
If you`re open to other brands then Hyundai might be a good alternative for you. Some people I know are waiting on the Ioniq EV before deciding on it or the Bolt.

Just don`t wait too long otherwise you`ll be waiting for ever :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forums. In your situation, a Bolt could be great considering VW buying back your car. Do you think the range will be sufficient for your needs?
I should be able to drive back and forth to work 3 times with range left over without charging so the bolt is the perfect vehicle in my opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like Illinois should have them on the lot in July and you can order next month, but if you're desperate, there are dealers in California that will arrange shipment now. Welcome to the forums!
Any specific dealerships? I'd like to look at their inventory online.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
To be honest I would also consider a used Nissan Leaf if you can drive roundtrip to work 3 times on one charge. You can get them for $9000 from a dealer in my area. I bought the Bolt because I commute 70 miles one way and I live within Bolt range of big cities. I would also make sure you qualify for the whole $7500 credit as well, some people are surprised they can't get back the full $7500.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Go here to chevy.com and put in your zip code. Then use the drop down filter menu and select "Bolt EV sales and service". This will tell you which dealers in your area have signed up to be a Bolt dealer. The Bolt and Volt are products that Chevy dealers have to opt into because they carry with them a cost to the dealership in terms of special training, tools and charging equipment. Not all dealers are onboard yet with the electric future.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, new here and I'm very interested in purchasing a new Bolt after taking it for a test drive but... currently trying to make the case for myself, talk my wife into the idea and also on the negative the Bolts seems a bit over priced eco box with the promises of a Gen 2 Leaf and Gen 3 Tesla just a few months away with both company's claiming to set the new standards!

My current daily driver to work is a 2015 Cruze TD, which I have been happy with it for the last 62K miles, averages 50 mpg with a full range of over 700 mi and it does have a nice ride for a eco box. My drive consists 2 miles to hwy from home, 60 miles on hwy at 65 to 70 mph then another 3 miles to work for a total RT daily of 130 miles.

Over the last 5 years I've been looking at the Leaf EV but simply stated... it just did not have a realistic battery range (25KWh) for my situation as I can not charge at work!! Also a consideration is our cold winters as my town holds the ILL State record for cold of -37F real temp. So the range for the Bolt is nice at 238 mi (60KWh battery) but is it a realizable and a reliable year around vehicle when factoring the temperature extremes over the lifetime of the battery??

When considering the battery takes a loss of 20% capacity hit for temperature extremes, another 40% over lifetime(warranty), 10% hit for HVAC, and 10% for lighting/wipers seems to imply this is a no deal for my situational drive? These numbers are inference from what I read and summarized from other posters on the Leaf and Bolt but once again these numbers maybe very dependent on the other's situational driving? There doesn't seem to be much data from drivers from the northern states where it gets COLD during the winter and the summers are hot which is where I had to do a lot of data interpolation.

Then there is the basic fuel costs, my estimated current annual cost for diesel of about $1850/yr and my best cost estimate for the Bolt electric of $550 to $950 depending on whether I can achieve similar range that other claims of 3 - 4 mi /KWh? While the roads I drive are fairly flat, the wind direction and speed has been a big factory in achieving my goals with the Cruze TD where it seems I'm always driving into a headwind whether driving to and/or from work and also leaving the local power company out of the equation for fuel costs??

The biggest cost saving differential over the Cruze TD would come if I can setup a solar based charging system "Power Wall" at home. Where I store up the solar power during the day in batteries and super capacitors while at work and then recharging the Bolt when returning home in the evening?

Just some of my musing on whether the economics are a realizable goal at this time for me but then there is the geek factor since my profession is as an electronic/computer engineer.

·
Registered
354 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would highly recommend Sunrisechevrolet - Glenndale Heights, IL. I bought a Chevy Equinox and Cruze from them in the last several years. Good sales and service, call Nick in sales and tell him Doug recommended Sunrise. I met with him a couple weeks back on the 5- Bolt EV they had in stock, seems they were currently pricing at MSRP:( no real deals at that time.

Looks like you are by Alton, Il , my wife has a cousin right next door in Brighton, a bit of a drive for you all the way up North.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Welcome!

I bought my Red Bolt EV Premier a few weeks back from Castle Chevy in Villa Park, IL( western Chicago burbs) they had 8 back then. They brought them in from California. There are a handful of dealers up hear that have done the same and have some for sale on their lots.
Use Car Guru and put in your Zip code( or use 60189) to search, it will list all the bolts in the area as well as ones on order the dealer plans on getting in.

Good luck!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Welcome!

I bought my Red Bolt EV Premier a few weeks back from Castle Chevy in Villa Park, IL( western Chicago burbs) they had 8 back then. They brought them in from California. There are a handful of dealers up hear that have done the same and have some for sale on their lots.
Use Car Guru and put in your Zip code( or use 60189) to search, it will list all the Bolts in the area as well as ones on order the dealer plans on getting in.

Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts