Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we did it! My wife and I decided to buy a Bolt EV Premier. According to the dealership we purchased from, we are the first Bolt drivers in our area! :D We traded in a pre-owned 2013 Volt Premier that we had only purchased 8 months ago. We really loved that car and would talk it up to everyone we knew about the amenities of the car itself and value that having a plug-in hybrid brought. But when we got word of the Bolt and its being released in late 2016, we knew going all EV would be doable (e.g. price, range). We were just in the wrong state to get a new EV model early in its life history. :) We haven't had it long but are still glad about our decision. Looking forward to hearing from other Bolt owners and those interested in purchasing one.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Can you mention what financial discounts you received ?
I am on the west coast and plan on ordering one for October delivery.
Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Well, we did it! My wife and I decided to buy a Bolt EV Premier. According to the dealership we purchased from, we are the first Bolt drivers in our area! :D We traded in a pre-owned 2013 Volt Premier that we had only purchased 8 months ago. We really loved that car and would talk it up to everyone we knew about the amenities of the car itself and value that having a plug-in hybrid brought. But when we got word of the Bolt and its being released in late 2016, we knew going all EV would be doable (e.g. price, range). We were just in the wrong state to get a new EV model early in its life history. :) We haven't had it long but are still glad about our decision. Looking forward to hearing from other Bolt owners and those interested in purchasing one.
Welcome to the forums! Hopefully you didn't take a beating on the Volt, but since you bought it used, you probably did alright. You're not going to regret this decision! We're starting to get a little Florida continent together!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also in Jax. It seems EV's are few and far between here. I don't know whether you can even buy a Leaf or a Ford Focus EV here. I bought my 2013 Volt from Gordon in Orange Park.

So where did you buy the Bolt?

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Welcome & congrats!!! I've been driving my Bolt here in the Space Coast since April
and love the car. I also traded in a Volt lease and leased from Maher Chevy in St Pete
as they were trucking in Bolts from other states BEFORE the official sales opening!

Have fun driving "all electric" in the Sunshine State!!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Welcome to the forum, did you by any chance consider going Nissan? Heard good things about the Leaf but from what I seen on the road they are no where near as represented as Volts. Now Nissan has a new Leaf coming out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you mention what financial discounts you received ?
I am on the west coast and plan on ordering one for October delivery.
Thanks...
None! Unlike virtually every other time we've purchased a car in the last like three decades, we did not go in to the dealer with a deal predetermined (e.g. credit union negotiated/Internet pre-set price) and the money in hand (e.g. financing in place via the credit union), we had nothing sorted out ahead of time. We used TrueCar but came up empty finding any local dealer with a Bolt to try out (when we heard that the national release schedule on the Bolt had been moved up). We just happened to check the inventory of a dealer who had literally the exact model (right down to the color, Cajun Red) we wanted at the exact price we determined via the Chevy Build & Price site. We just had to check it out (of course :laugh:). So, of course when we test-drove the vehicle, we wanted to deal, but at that point our only options were to finance through the dealer (never even considered this) or lease. So, we signed a lease agreement, arguing (to ourselves) that given how fast the EV technology will be improving in the next three years, we would be better off handing back the car at the end of the lease, having only paid the depreciation value of the car (plus a rental fee), and purchasing some future Bolt. One of the key considerations was the federal tax credit on EV's, which the sales manager assured us would go to us even if we did a lease. Well, that was a subtle point that we did not research ahead of time, and later learned was not true. So, knowing that we could not outright back out of the deal entirely (since part of it included a trade-in, and also there apparently is no "cooling off" period for car-related contracts, with depreciation involved and all), we knew we needed to go back to the dealer and buy the Bolt outright. Which we did with financing in hand this time. So, with zero negotiating room at this point, we paid full price. I want to be clear that we believe that the dealership negotiated with us in good faith and honestly did not know that the tax credit did not go to someone who leases an EV. They also indicated that given the tight supply of Bolts at this point (which is GM's fault, not the dealerships), there really wasn't any incentives the dealership could offer anyway. The price we paid out the door is the price we expected. This is a long-winded response to just say that careful planning and patience would have gotten us a better deal, especially given this particular car at this particular point in time. :eek:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm also in Jax. It seems EV's are few and far between here. I don't know whether you can even buy a Leaf or a Ford Focus EV here. I bought my 2013 Volt from Gordon in Orange Park.

So where did you buy the Bolt?
We bought it from Nimnicht Chevrolet. I want to point out that this dealership appears to be ahead of the curve, since they actually had a Bolt on the lot (versus other dealers who played the "Bolt? Oh I thought you meant Volt!" game with us to get us into their dealership ;) ). Their technical staff was on the ball with explaining the vehicle's capabilities during the test drive. And just as important, what the Bolt could not do, such as adaptive cruise control (a prefer-to-have for us but not a deal breaker). And perhaps most importantly, their service staff is trained up and ready to service the Bolt, including charging it onsite.

Oh, and a shout out to CarMax, as they sold us the 2013 Volt Premier we traded in for the Bolt. We got a great car from them and had another good experience with pre-owned car shopping. (Previously bought our Honda CR-V from them.) Despite being an ICE :laugh:, it's a real workhorse.) Really, the main reason we even considered a Bolt is because we already had experience with a Volt! :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the forums! Hopefully you didn't take a beating on the Volt, but since you bought it used, you probably did alright. You're not going to regret this decision! We're starting to get a little Florida continent together!
We did okay on the trade in value, but might have done better with a private sale.

Speaking of Florida, we saw our first Bolt in the wild back in early June at Disney's Animal Kingdom at the ChargePoint station when we returned to unplug our Volt. I did a double-take when I saw it. It had a Tampa-area dealership emblem on it. Made me sooo envious given that FL was not even scheduled to receive Bolts at that point! >:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome & congrats!!! I've been driving my Bolt here in the Space Coast since April
and love the car. I also traded in a Volt lease and leased from Maher Chevy in St Pete
as they were trucking in Bolts from other states BEFORE the official sales opening!

Have fun driving "all electric" in the Sunshine State!!
Oooh, nice Bolt!

Okay, so what is with the Tampa-area dealerships getting the Bolt ahead of schedule, hmm? ;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the forum, did you by any chance consider going Nissan? Heard good things about the Leaf but from what I seen on the road they are no where near as represented as Volts. Now Nissan has a new Leaf coming out.
First, let's give Nissan some credit: they were years ahead it terms of an affordable and sustainably supported EV. (And they still are ahead of GM on the sustainably supported front, give the No-Charge-to-Charge initiative, which GM has yet to answer. :( ). So, yes we definitely did consider Nissan. But they are late to the game on longer range EV's, and they haven't really taken EV that seriously, given there is only the Leaf and no other EV's in their lineup. It's a one-trick pony at this point. (And I'm sorry, but an ugly one at that IMHO.) And GM bested them on battery life (which was a big consideration for us to even consider a used Volt in the first place). So, Nissan gets kudos for initiative and vision, but GM gets kudos for great engineering! Here's to the competition playing out (with Tesla raising the bar across the board), and us car buyers being the winners . . . ;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
None! Unlike virtually every other time we've purchased a car in the last like three decades, we did not go in to the dealer with a deal predetermined (e.g. credit union negotiated/Internet pre-set price) and the money in hand (e.g. financing in place via the credit union), we had nothing sorted out ahead of time. We used TrueCar but came up empty finding any local dealer with a Bolt to try out (when we heard that the national release schedule on the Bolt had been moved up). We just happened to check the inventory of a dealer who had literally the exact model (right down to the color, Cajun Red) we wanted at the exact price we determined via the Chevy Build & Price site. We just had to check it out (of course :laugh:). So, of course when we test-drove the vehicle, we wanted to deal, but at that point our only options were to finance through the dealer (never even considered this) or lease. So, we signed a lease agreement, arguing (to ourselves) that given how fast the EV technology will be improving in the next three years, we would be better off handing back the car at the end of the lease, having only paid the depreciation value of the car (plus a rental fee), and purchasing some future Bolt. One of the key considerations was the federal tax credit on EV's, which the sales manager assured us would go to us even if we did a lease. Well, that was a subtle point that we did not research ahead of time, and later learned was not true. So, knowing that we could not outright back out of the deal entirely (since part of it included a trade-in, and also there apparently is no "cooling off" period for car-related contracts, with depreciation involved and all), we knew we needed to go back to the dealer and buy the Bolt outright. Which we did with financing in hand this time. So, with zero negotiating room at this point, we paid full price. I want to be clear that we believe that the dealership negotiated with us in good faith and honestly did not know that the tax credit did not go to someone who leases an EV. They also indicated that given the tight supply of Bolts at this point (which is GM's fault, not the dealerships), there really wasn't any incentives the dealership could offer anyway. The price we paid out the door is the price we expected. This is a long-winded response to just say that careful planning and patience would have gotten us a better deal, especially given this particular car at this particular point in time. :eek:
:DHi and welcome to the Bolt world. Sorry for the confusion with your dealer. That's not uncommon with most dealer and other vehicles, but especially true with the Bolt. I have four & a half years experience with a 2012 Prius Plug In and thirty month lease with a 2014 BMW i3 BEV, since returned. I had been actively looking at the Bolt for over five months, Just picked up my Cajun Red Bolt Premier July 4th. A lot of misinformation with dealers on the Bolt. I knew I wanted a lease and was told by several dealers 24 months was possible. Thirty months lease is the minimum. Very few incentives on the Bolt on the east coast. I saved over a $100 lease payment by waiting several months. Local Virginia dealers are starting to discount slightly. Regardless, I wanted a Bolt and looking forward to the next three years. No two deals are the same because there are so many variables. My cars are more than transportation, they're a sense of enjoyment and some pride, even considering they're not exotic. Not concerned with what anyone else paid, now that I have a Bolt, wouldn't do any good. Good luck to everyone trying to get that "best" deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually went to Nimnicht a couple of weeks ago and took a White LT out for a spin to get a feel for the car. I am very slow to pull the trigger on car purchases. I have bought 2 Subarus in the last 19 years and I am ready to get a Bolt or a Volt. (Wife if not sold on all-electric yet). BoltronJax, did you have a higher current outlet installed at your place? Any electrician recommendations? Seeing that you got yours in the heat of our summer last year, anything I need to know? I thought I have read (on a Volt discussion) that it is recommended to have the car plugged in at extreme temperatures. Wonder if our weather qualifies as extreme? I work downtown and will be out in the open (not in any sort of shade). Sorry to throw a ton of questions with my first post. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually went to Nimnicht a couple of weeks ago and took a White LT out for a spin to get a feel for the car. I am very slow to pull the trigger on car purchases. I have bought 2 Subarus in the last 19 years and I am ready to get a Bolt or a Volt. (Wife if not sold on all-electric yet). BoltronJax, did you have a higher current outlet installed at your place? Any electrician recommendations? Seeing that you got yours in the heat of our summer last year, anything I need to know? I thought I have read (on a Volt discussion) that it is recommended to have the car plugged in at extreme temperatures. Wonder if our weather qualifies as extreme? I work downtown and will be out in the open (not in any sort of shade). Sorry to throw a ton of questions with my first post. Thanks in advance.
First, apologies for my delayed repost! I don’t regularly check this part of the forum. ?

Good luck with your car decision! Either car is a great buy!

We did have a 240v outlet installed and have a ChargePoint Home 25 EVSE plugged in and charging the Bolt. (Although I did recently learn about and in fact constructed some pigtails that allow me to plug in the stock EVSE that comes with the Bolt, but it’s really more of a secondary option. Check out: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?218442-Gen2-Volt-EVSE-conversion-to-L2-L1-combo-DONE!&p=3033402#/topics/218442?page=7). I really like the CP unit, especially since they provide combined reporting on power use and cost across their network of charging locations (which are relative abundant in Jacksonville). But just the 240v outlet and really any good EVSE is worth the expense given how much more quickly the EV gets recharged. We went with American Electrical, our go-to electricians for over a decade.

We’ve only had the Bolt for one Summer, but it performed well and got decent range throughout, even with AC going. Interestingly, it’s the cold spells over this past winter when range dropped relatively sharply. The good news is that for regular commuting on local roads, we typically get way more (e.g. 300+ !) than the stated 238 mile range on a full charge in most weather conditions we face here in northeast FL. If you get either Chevy, you can use the myChevrolet app and, amongst other things, use the “Precondition” feature to remotely start and cool down (or heat up) the car a few mintutes before entering it, making the ride experience that much nicer! Regarding having it plugged in while sitting in the hot sun, I have not done this other than when I’ve gone on long trips and needed to recharge at the destination. And in any cas have not noticed any ill effects as a result.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Regarding having it plugged in while sitting in the hot sun, I have not done this other than when I’ve gone on long trips and needed to recharge at the destination. And in any case have not noticed any ill effects as a result.
Right, I spent all last summer not worrying about battery conditioning, but this winter I started to take notice. These are my observations: During winter, the car takes power from my charger, a couple of kW over ~15 minutes, every eight hours or so after the main charging power cycle. Further investigation using the On Board Diagnostics (OBD) port revealed that this power was used to heat the battery. During summer, there is a similar power draw, but less often, presumably to cool the battery a bit. A quick look at my ChargePoint data on one occasion last August shows a 23 hr charge cycle with one power draw about 22.5 hrs after the main charge cycle. This was presumably cooling, but my garage is cold even in the summer, so it could have been heating. I was not monitoring the OBD port at that time. This coming summer I am going to look at this in more detail, but the general knowledge is that the battery will automatically be cooled in the summer if it becomes too hot. I just have not yet verified that myself by measurements. Further, I never saw any battery conditioning on the car's dash meter during 3000 miles of long distance driving in what we in the northeast call hot weather (>90 F). So, I always assumed that no battery conditioning took place in the summer. I assume 120 F in Arizona might produce different results.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts