Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I’ve had my eye on the Bolt for some time, after seeing the prototype at the Detroit car show - 2 years ago? I’ve been driving a Ford Fusion Hybrid, and really liked the electric side of that equation - so smooth and quiet! And regen braking although it is limited in that car, helped for great fuel mileage numbers in my cross town commute to work. But full electric and 200 hp to boot in the Bolt? That’s gotta be fun! We have a local dealer in metro Detroit which was the first to get “built in Michigan” Bolts imported from CA, so I drooled over those on the lot starting this past summer, vowing to make a purchase when the time was right (they did move off the lot quickly). Well, that time was 10 days ago (same dealer, but this time the car was originally delivered to them) when I picked up my black Premier only to be greeted with a snowstorm and cold temps since. I’ve managed to put on about 600 miles and not strand myself since then, especially considering level 1 charger in my garage - so far - and perhaps too many fast charger sessions at 20 degrees, where the charge rate starts out at 16 kwh and .20 a minute (ouch!), so I think I’m learning something here. I can hardly wait for longer road trips and faster charging sessions as we get on into spring, so let’s hope it’s an early one for those of us up north. Thanks for providing all of the great advice and info here - it’s an interesting daily read now that I’m on board. Happy travels!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Let’s see, now. Spring arrives in Michigan around June 17th, right? Welcome aboard. Install the Level 2 EVSE. You will never regret it!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Welcome. Bolts are hard to get here, I had to patiently wait for the last 17 allocated to my local dealer. Wonderful car, love driving it just for fun. You'll want a home Level 2 charger for sure. I've got a 3.8 kw unit left over from my Volt ownership and I'll eventually swap it for a 7.7.

Reactions: surgeonFWW

·
Registered
69 Posts
Alright!! Another Michigan Bolt Owner!!!! I was in a similar situation as you Catster. That Dealership: was it FELDMANS? I test drove a Bolt last May from them but did not buy. I had to wait to late June to place an order at a Lake Orion Dealership to get what I wanted. Been happy with it ever since!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fusion jazz - yes indeed, it was Feldman. At one time they had 20 of them on their lot, which is probably what you looked at. I’ve got a 3.8 kwh Charger on order, so that should help a bunch. Glad to be a part of the Michigan Bolt clan. We need to be a hardy bunch to make these cars run around without range issues this time of year, since L2 chargers only supply enough energy for the heater when it’s 10 degrees outside! Shocker, I’m sure that Bolts are very rare in your vicinity, but here’s hoping that their numbers will pick up, as the sales numbers do every month. We just need a gas price run up in the spring to help this car along?

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
I’ve got a 3.8 kwh Charger on order, so that should help a bunch. Glad to be a part of the Michigan Bolt clan. We need to be a hardy bunch to make these cars run around without range issues this time of year, since L2 chargers only supply enough energy for the heater when it’s 10 degrees outside!
Why did you order a 3.8 kW EVSE? You can get a 32-40 amp, L2 that will put 7.6 kW through the onboard charger. The battery heater only pulls 2.24 kW.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Why did you order a 3.8 kW EVSE. You can get a 32-40 amp, L2 that will put 7.6 kW through the onboard charger. The battery heater only pulls 2.24 kW.
Agree. Cancel that order and get a 32 amp continuous EVSE. Many are affordable. All are indispensable!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m with you guys. However, 3.8 should work for my daily needs, adding an estimated 15 mph in the warmer months, and my daily commute is 60 miles RT. I will get a 7k EVSE for my place up north when the time comes. Right now, doing route planning for a trip to the up north place, and estimated charge time exceeds travel time due to no DC chargers enroute, and at 360 miles each way. A 6 hour trip potentially doubles if I drive the Bolt - and that’s just not practical. Will have to wait until we see a DC charger in Northern Michigan, or hypermile to get 300 miles on a charge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts