Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my orange Bolt Premier off the showroom floor two weeks ago and am still beyond thrilled to have my first EV and fulfill a very long standing dream. Ok I'm just leasing, but that made sense for me and doesn't diminish the pride one bit. No pre-order, just right time right place. Bye to the pump, oil and probably any more worn brake pads and warped rotors, thanks to the wonder of regeneration! No tailpipe is a significant step I believe in the right direction for our one and only world. So 5 days my first week without a charge and I still had 160 miles to go! 120V charging is working fine for me, but my next task is to rig my welder 240V 50A wall socket in my garage to speed things up. If anyone can tell me a reasonable source for a 1-2 ft adapter with NEMA 14-50R on one end and a 6-50P on the other, pls let me know. I'll also be looking into metered off peak charge options with my energy company. The liquid coolant system of the Bolt will hopefully be the right choice for our sometimes frigid winters. Tried out the remote conditioning this morning for 15 minutes and was pleasantly surprised to have my EV warm and ready to quietly roll down the driveway.

·
Registered
75 Posts
120V charging is working fine for me, but my next task is to rig my welder 240V 50A wall socket in my garage to speed things up. If anyone can tell me a reasonable source for a 1-2 ft adapter with NEMA 14-50R on one end and a 6-50P on the other, pls let me know.
Have you considered the Jesla (with a J) from QuickCharge Power? It's a portable EVSE available with adapters for every type of plug you can imagine, and it's super-portable so you can road-trip practically anywhere (e.g. it lets you use RV park power). It's NOT cheap, easily half again as much as a basic dumb garage mount EVSE, but you can also rent one to try it out. Tony Williams of QuickCharge is an EV guru and can probably figure out any adapter he doesn't already make.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
If you still weld, and need the 14-50 outlet, make an adapter cord for <$40: 14-50 plug, 2' of 8-2w/G, & 6-50 outlet in a box. If not welding, put the 6-50 in the receptacle. This is assuming you already have, or are purchasing, an EVSE w/ a 6-50 plug, like the Siemens VersiCharge (excellent choice). If buying the JuiceBox or Clipper Creek, they have 14-50 plugs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you considered the Jesla (with a J) from QuickCharge Power? It's a portable EVSE available with adapters for every type of plug you can imagine, and it's super-portable so you can road-trip practically anywhere (e.g. it lets you use RV park power). It's NOT cheap, easily half again as much as a basic dumb garage mount EVSE, but you can also rent one to try it out. Tony Williams of QuickCharge is an EV guru and can probably figure out any adapter he doesn't already make.
Thanks for the great info. At this time though I'm trying to make use of the 240V charge cord the dealer provided me (can't recall the make), so it's just an adapter needed for now. I'm comfortable making it myself if needed with parts, and that way I can be sure the wiring is right. Or just replace the wall socket. I've seen some for the Tesla which look compatible but are steep at about $80.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you still weld, and need the 14-50 outlet, make an adapter cord for <$40: 14-50 plug, 2' of 8-2w/G, & 6-50 outlet in a box. If not welding, put the 6-50 in the receptacle. This is assuming you already have, or are purchasing, an EVSE w/ a 6-50 plug, like the Siemens VersiCharge (excellent choice). If buying the JuiceBox or Clipper Creek, they have 14-50 plugs.
Thanks for the excellent options. I may have confused you tho...the ends are just reversed: The charge cable in fact has the 14-50P, and I currently have a wall outlet in the garage with 6-50R. Sounds like the Siemens would actually work for me as, but I'll try to stay with the EVSE I have.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the excellent options. I may have confused you tho...the ends are just reversed: The charge cable in fact has the 14-50P, and I currently have a wall outlet in the garage with 6-50R. Sounds like the Siemens would actually work for me as, but I'll try to stay with the EVSE I have.
Not cheap, but....

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-50-Amp-Electric-Vehicle-Adapter/dp/B00STD8SEU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1506548655&sr=8-2&keywords=6-50+to+14-50[/ame]

If you only weld occasionally you may be better off installing a 14-50R on a 50 amp circuit and buying a 14-50P to 6-50R adapter for welding. With very careful planning you can wall mount the EVSE next to a locking 14-50 plug box. The difficulty is with the code mandated 12 inch plug limit on the EVSE. So install a mounting board. Install the receptacle and locking box. Now install the EVSE. Been there.

Jeff

Link looks weird. Click on the Amazon box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up going with Jeff's suggestion of just replacing my welder receptacle with a 14-50R. Picked it up at my hardware store for $15. The surface mount style in its own box which was a drop in replacement. Only issue was in direction the plug cord exits due to original receptacle orientation. Much cheaper than making an adapter cord. My 240V charger by the way is a Clipper Creek which was a freebie from my dealer. Significantly faster charge than the120V @ 8A.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts