Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all !
Am I glad I found this forum.
I pick up my 2018 Bolt Premier, next week.
It is my first EV, replacing a 2005 VW Golf TDi. Been driving diesels for a couple decades.

Apologies as a newby, other than brakes, any advice on breaking in the car?

Thanks in advance.

Kelly in Portland

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Welcome aboard. Enjoy your new Bolt when you get it. The wait is the worse part of getting a Bolt. Nothing special for breaking in the car. No getting the head bolts retorqued, lifters adjusted, etc... Some think you should be kind to the bearings until they get seated in their races. But wouldn't think that would take very long. Just drive the thing as much as you can to get the seat broke in. Like a baseball glove.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I didn't do absolutely anything to "break in" the Bolt on purpose (had it since May 13 or 17th).

I would say, you could try the L (one pedal driving) setting on the "shifter" and the regen paddle on the steering wheel before you hit a busy public road, because those do take some getting used to.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Welcome, Kelly. I went from my trusty ‘03 TDI to the 2017 Bolt.
I absolutely love it. It was nice to be able to go 700+ miles on a tank, but with
the home charger, I have yet to use a public charger after 6,000 miles, and
I figure about half the cost per mile to run the Bolt -vs- the 48mpg Golf.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
645 Posts
The tires will be pretty slippery for the first couple of hundred miles.
After that, opinions on the stock tires vary, as do requirements.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was going to wave if I ever saw another Bolt on the streets - like with fellow riders or driving through the Outback. Between you and redpoint in this thread that's more Bolts than I've seen on the streets in Oregon.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Even after the initial tire break-in (few hundred miles), you'll still get wheel slip on rainy days from a full stop. After 6k miles, I still get this if I'm not careful. The OEMs are not great tires with a torqy car like the Bolt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts