Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well hello, my name is Guy and I'm contemplating buying a Bolt or maybe a Volt, I have been a VW diesel owner for over 20 years, never drove anything else and now I am part of the "DieselGate" scandal. I will be doing the buyback from VW (whenever that will happen) and going elsewhere!! will it be a Volt or a Bolt, I still don't know, been crunching #'s and yes the Bolt seems pretty cool but I do take long trips a couple times a year so this is where my range anxiety kicks in.

I also commute 115kms a day (71 miles). It's more then what a Volt can give me so I would have to rely on the ICE everyday!!:(

Does anyone know is the insurance on a Bolt is lower then a traditional ICE car? I know going from a 2012 Passat TDI to a 2017 Volt would cost me about $9 more a month.

And does anyone know if the Bolt has arrived in Ottawa?

I have tested the Volt and it's a decent car it's just the back seat is tiny.

From my calculations (40 000kms/Year, 8.3c/Kwh compared to $1.03/L diesel) I could potentially save over $200 a month

thanks

Guy

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Welcome to the forum!The Bolt should be on sale in Ottawa by now, read an article from February where someone took delivery of one there. Can't say much about insurance since it's dependent on your driving record and company, best to just discuss that with your insurer.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Welcome to the forums :)

The Bolt should still work for you once your daily commutes aren't that long, and worst case scenario, when you take those few long trips, you could always rent an ICE

·
Registered
979 Posts
Just got my bill for Bolt insurance. $200 a year less than my previous ICE compact car which had an MSRP of 1/2 of a Bolt EV.

Range with a Bolt ? Not a problem. I've got a couple of EVSE-finder apps, a Chargepoint card, the standard 120v trickle cord and two 30A adapters, but I doubt I'll ever use any of them. Just plug in the level 2 charging station at home and forget about it. (choose the Ontario hydro lowest rate schedule). See this thread for early results on Canadian range:
http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/90-2017-chevy-bolt-ev-range-mpge-discussion/8954-canadian-range-competition-3.html

Bolt CUV-ish seating and hatch appealed to me versus Volt. And no spark plugs anywhere in the Bolt.. Get the Ontario incentive early, it might not be there to current extent if present governing party loses next June.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your biggest problem will be trying to find a dealer with any allotment left for 2017. I have check at least 40 dealers around Toronto and they had all sold out of 2017 Bolts and were taking deposits for 2018 Bolts. The substantially lower price for Bolts in Canada and the generous government rebate has lead to a severe shortage of Bolts in Ontario. I have spoke to several GM reps and while they acknowledged the problem they had little to offer in the way of a solution.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
It seems like everyone wants a Bolt except for California where 90% of the supply is. People in California only want a Tesla and Chevy should have realized this. The Bolts in Central California should be flying off the lots. You can probably get a standard LT Bolt with fast charger and some options in Cali for about $35,000, take off another $7500 federal, $2500 Cali Rebate, $500 for some electric companies, and $3000 for valley air pollution district. After taxes you are looking at a $25K car in parts of California.

Chevy sells out in minutes in Korea, can't keep stock in some places like Canada, have people shipping cars out of state, and some dealerships in Cali have over 100 Bolts in stock that are just sitting there... I guess I just don't understand economics.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Welcome! I have a Gen1 Volt now and commute about the same as you do. The Gen2 Volt is really nice but I've ordered a Bolt to finally get that OPEC monkey off my back!! LOL. There are a lot of DCFC sites being installed by the Ontario Government, I believe they are Chargepoint chargers so get a Chargepoint card, and check their list of where they are going to be located. That should cut down on your range anxiety if there are chargers on the route of your regular long trips! I haven't checked on insurance yet but don't forget to mention all the safety features in the Drivers Confidence II package if you decide to get it. They should lower your rates and might make the upgrade worth buying for you.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/electric-vehicle-chargers-ontario.shtml

·
Registered
5 Posts
Boyer Chevrolet Buick GMC in Bancroft, Ontario had a Bolt Premier available for sale a few days ago. Phone # 613-332-2438. Good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the quick feedback folks, I will definitely check with my insurance company on rates!! I will start checking the local dealers to see if there are some around!! I have yet to see one.

Thanks Upstart for the lead!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I got a call from the local dealer telling me that the Bolt is sold out and that they do not expect any new Bolts for another 6 months!!!

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
That's what I hear from all the dealers I've talked to here in Vancouver as well. I'm a bit skeptical - it sure seems to me like they ought to get some additional allocations from GM as long it isn't deliberately constraining production. This whole situation with what people have described as a glut of Bolts in California and famine everywhere else seems very strange to me.

I'm not sure how this allocation thing works - I kind of get the impression that they just come down on the dealers from on high with no advance warning. I guess we're just going to have to wait and see.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
At least in the States, some dealerships are willing to ship in Bolts from places like California with an excess amount of them. But if they're lacking in most dealerships in Canada, there's not many Bolts to relocate. Maybe it won't take the full 6 months?

·
Registered
979 Posts
“Six months” probably means a 2018 model. And that would be a guess on dealer’s part. So 2017’s will be shipped through September.

Other than California, a Bolt in dealer inventory available for sale will be a rare item. Might occur if a customer cancels at the last minute. Consider: the balance of US states that are still to go, the balance of Cdn provinces (outside of ON, PQ, BC) that are still to go, Europe just beginning to receive & very hungry for them, Korea sold out w/tremendous interest, etc..

Seems like GM stuck with high volume target for California in order to get ZEV credits & not forgo any BEV market share there, despite creation of temporary inventory imbalance.

·
Registered
735 Posts
So I called the dealer today (Myers chevrolet in Orleans) and I will be dropping by tomorrow evening to put a deposit on a Bolt Premier!!! Let the waiting begin!
Since you will be getting a Bolt from the 2018 model year, finding out the differences between that and current Bolts will be interesting given the issues and things to be addressed that members posted so far.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Since you are getting a Premiere, you may want to check insurance prices with and without Driver Confidence 2 pkg features (avbl only on Premiere). Not sure about effect in Bolt, but in the Volt community some say they make up the difference in cost between LT and Premiere by the savings on insurance from having the robot nannies!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since you are getting a Premiere, you may want to check insurance prices with and without Driver Confidence 2 pkg features (avbl only on Premiere). Not sure about effect in Bolt, but in the Volt community some say they make up the difference in cost between LT and Premiere by the savings on insurance from having the robot nannies!
funny you should say that, when i was contemplating buying the Volt, I asked my insurance company (Allstate) and they said NOPE!! no difference. Might have to start shopping around for a new insurance company.

Anybody have any info they can share on that subject please!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well deposit is made and to my surprise they had one on the lot (customer pick up) so I actually had a chance to sit in it!!!

Bad news right now is a delivery date of...February 2018

Premier in Silver Ice Metallic with Dark Galvanized Gray interior with Infotainment Package and Driver Confidence II Package.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Well deposit is made and to my surprise they had one on the lot (customer pick up) so I actually had a chance to sit in it!!!

Bad news right now is a delivery date of...February 2018

Premier in Silver Ice Metallic with Dark Galvanized Gray interior with Infotainment Package and Driver Confidence II Package.
What do you think about the seats compared to what some people here have been reporting? Although it wasn't much time or much of an experience, do you at least have some confidence in it?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts