Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving a Nissan Leaf for 9 years, I finally upgraded to a 2020 Bolt Premier. What a difference! The technology and comfort are so much better, not the mention the extended range with that new car smell. There are so many things I need to learn about this car. One question I need to ask. I have a Blink level 2 charger that I used to charge the Leaf. Can I use that to charge the Bolt? I read that the Bolt charges at 32A, while this Blink is a 24A. Thanks

·
Registered
532 Posts
Welcome!
After driving a Nissan Leaf for 9 years, I finally upgraded to a 2020 Bolt Premier. What a difference! The technology and comfort are so much better, not the mention the extended range with that new car smell. There are so many things I need to learn about this car. One question I need to ask. I have a Blink level 2 charger that I used to charge the Leaf. Can I use that to charge the Bolt? I read that the Bolt charges at 32A, while this Blink is a 24A. Thanks
You have the garbage 1st gen Blink L2 EVSE pictured partway down on While Under Threat From OEMs, ECOtality Turns Down The Output On Chargers To Avoid Failures, right?

Those things charged gen 1 Leafs (with "3.3 kW", actually 3.8 kW from the wall at max) OBCs just fine w/o hitting Blink / Rav4 Blows Out a Contactor Pin (with gory pics) - My Nissan Leaf Forum. There was also Honda and Honda Fit EV Overheats When Used with Blink Chargers. 240 volts * 16 amps = 3840 watts = 3.84 kW

Carcharging/Blink Reduces resedential EVSE's to 24Amp. - My Nissan Leaf Forum happened but I don't follow as I never had that garbage. It should be compatible (that's what the J1772 standard is about) and if it were turned down to 24 amps, it should be ok (no melting).

L1 and L2 EVSEs tell the attached vehicle via pilot signal duty cycle (Basics of SAE J1772), "hey, this is how much you can draw at most" and the attached car is supposed to comply. If it put out a 30 or 32 amp pilot and you hooked up a 16 amp car (like a '11 or '12 Leaf), no prob... but when you hook up a car that can pull the full 30 or 32 amps like the 40 amp max capable Rav4 EV... that's what TonyWilliams was bit by. (Gen 2 Rav4 EV was Tesla powered and had a single ~10 kW OBC that could pull 40 amps at 240 volts.)

It is perfectly fine to charge via a lower amperage L1 or L2 EVSE to a Bolt, Bolt is supposed to comply like I mentioned. It'll be slower... 3 Factors that Determine Electric Car Charging Times | ClipperCreek may be useful.

If you turn on the Bolt while L2 charging, in the enhanced layout, on the right, I'd expect to either show 5 kW or 6 kW of "regen" (actually charging). I'm not clear if Bolt rounds up/down correctly or just truncates. 240 volts * 24 amps = 5,760 watts = 5.76 kW

If you had 240 volt supply * 30 amps = 7200 watts = 7.2 kW. 240 volts * 32 amps = 7680 watts = 7.68 kW.

BTW, there is also Blink - My Nissan Leaf Forum. Blink evse: Where in the menu can you change "Max Current" setting? - My Nissan Leaf Forum claims you can turn down the output. You'll notice another guy advises not having it higher than 16 amps.

BTW, most public L2 charging tends be 30 amps max (max output for ChargePoint CT2000 and CT4000 series EVSEs: Everything You Need to Know About ChargePoint Stations | ChargePoint)), and often is only 208 volts (common for commercial power in the US). Almost ALL of my Bolt L2 charging has been from 208 volt, 30 amp L2 EVSEs.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt LT
20 Posts
I worked (briefly) for Ecotality, the company that produced Blink, and yes, that should not be a problem. But to be absolutely certain, wait for someone on this forum who is actually using a Blink with their Bolt to answer.

·
Registered
532 Posts
As I said, it should work just fine, but I'd make sure you turn down the max output to 24 amps or lower. 16 amps would be safer.

If you plug in and the green light on the car flashes when the car's set to immediate charge, it's charging. As I said, if you try turning on the car while charging, you'll see the charging rate on the right side (as a whole number) in kW if you're in the enhanced layout.

You can confirm that your % SoC has gone up after several hours via the My Chevrolet app. Forget the guess-o-meter (silly number(s) on the left side of the dash that say n "miles").

I believe I saw your post on a Bolt or Leaf FB group a few days ago... :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts