Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt LT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my first EV, a good used base model 2017 Bolt with only 7k miles on it. Wasn't prepared for the jack rabbit starts this vehicle is capable of and love it! I worked for Ecotality 10 years ago, a company that had thousands of public and private chargers all over the US, but went bankrupt years ago, so was exposed to the early affordable technology (the Nissan Leaf). Almost bought one then but for range anxiety and the rapid battery pack degradation here in Arizona, basically from the heat on the uncooled battery packs. I have ordered a 240v 16A charger to plug into my NEMA 6-20 existing socket (I'm told this will get me about 10mph charging) which should be enough for my needs. While I have your ear (eye?), what do you folks think of this cable? Is it viable? You have to plug each end into different 120v legs of your 220. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
what do you folks think of this cable? Is it viable? You have to plug each end into different 120v legs of your 220.
That will get you 220-240 volt, but don't use it with that 16 amp EVSE. You can only pull 12 amps continuous from normal household outlets, assuming they are installed correctly. It will work fine with the EVSE the Bolt comes with. That is a Clipper Creek which advertises 12 amps to the car. Given your background you probably know all that.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt LT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats, welcome to the forum. Curious why you're looking at the doubler if you have 240V on the 6-20.
Just curious more than anything. The 240v is wired to a second garage behind the house so it's a little less convenient is all. I looked up the L1 OEM charger...holy cripes! Over $400?!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Just curious more than anything. The 240v is wired to a second garage behind the house so it's a little less convenient is all. I looked up the L1 OEM charger...holy cripes! Over $400?!
Yeah, I didn't know anything about charging an EV when I ordered my car 3 years ago with a spare OEM charge cord. So I got two. I've got both plugged into 240V with an adapter. One in my garage and the other one in my air conditioned shop. The car is spending the hot summer out in the shop. When it cools off, I'll park back in the garage.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
So, did you not get the OEM EVSE with the Bolt? I have heard of folks selling them because dealers don't have a clue that they should come with the car on trade-in.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Good luck and welcome aboard. As mentioned by others, the trouble with that "doubling device" is that both outlets are on the same 15-amp circuit. Statistics show that 30% of Bolt owners charge at home using only AC Level 1. (70% of Volt owners did the same.) I bought my 30 amp, non-WiFi Siemens Versicharge for under $500 and installed it myself with $80 worth of 40-amp breakers, cable (10-2 w/G; a run of <3 ft.), NEMA 6-50 outlet, and the box/plate for the outlet. In three years of at least once/week (pre-COVID) charging, it has never failed. AND, it is portable! I made a 10' extension cord with a NEMA 6-50 outlet {in a weatherproof box} and a NEMA 14-50 plug. Now, I can go to any RV park or KoA Kampground in the state, which really increases my back-country travelling ability.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt LT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck and welcome aboard. As mentioned by others, the trouble with that "doubling device" is that both outlets are on the same 15-amp circuit. Statistics show that 30% of Bolt owners charge at home using only AC Level 1. (70% of Volt owners did the same.) I bought my 30 amp, non-WiFi Siemens Versicharge for under $500 and installed it myself with $80 worth of 40-amp breakers, cable (10-2 w/G; a run of <3 ft.), NEMA 6-50 outlet, and the box/plate for the outlet. In three years of at least once/week (pre-COVID) charging, it has never failed. AND, it is portable! I made a 10' extension cord with a NEMA 6-50 outlet {in a weatherproof box} and a NEMA 14-50 plug. Now, I can go to any RV park or KoA Kampground in the state, which really increases my back-country travelling ability.
Yeah, with the 38 mile range of the Volt, why not?

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt LT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, did you not get the OEM EVSE with the Bolt? I have heard of folks selling them because dealers don't have a clue that they should come with the car on trade-in.
Funny you should mention that. I did get one, but the dealer had to look through 3 other Bolts to find one! 🤣

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
"...the trouble with that "doubling device" is that both outlets are on the same 15-amp circuit."

BillR specifically noted that they need to be on separate legs of the 240V house feed.

My garage has dual duplex outlets along both walls that are on two separate legs. Four circuits in all.

I built a cord that looks like the one pictured, (except it's got an L6-20R instead of the 5-15R). It gives me 12A at 240V for my L6-20P-ended OEM EVSE. I use it for a second, guest EV in the driveway.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Bill R specifically noted that they need to be on separate legs of the 240V house feed.
My garage has dual duplex outlets along both walls that are on two separate legs. Four circuits in all.

I built a cord that looks like the one pictured, (except it's got an L6-20R instead of the 5-15R). It gives me 12A at 240V for my L6-20P-ended OEM EVSE. I use it for a second, guest EV in the driveway.
My bad. It looked to me that the two plugs could only reach the two outlets in a single wallplate (which would nearly always be on the same circuit). Either those black cords are MUCH longer or people have two adjacent outlets on the same wall, but on two separate circuits.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt LT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My bad. It looked to me that the two plugs could only reach the two outlets in a single wallplate (which would nearly always be on the same circuit). Either those black cords are MUCH longer or people have two adjacent outlets on the same wall, but on two separate circuits.
Yeah, it looks like they rely on the customer to supply extension cords, I initially thought the same thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts