Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am getting QUITE sick and tired of having to go out and playing with a 100ft cord just to plug in my Bolt EV. Snaking a wire down the stairs, out the hall, pinched out two doors and out to my car.

Talked to my landlord about getting at least a NEMA 14-50 put on the side of my building.....which is a 130 yr old house in Ontario. He is very old and set in his ways and said no. Trying to convince him otherwise and said that I can get a quote and pay half....but he is still quite hesitant. He owns drive ins and in town theaters that STILL do not take ANY form of digital currency.....JUST CASH....that is how set in his old ways he is.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to convince him otherwise? I already got a Grizzl-E charger on the way and plan to use it for when I go to campgrounds when it is not being used at home.

Oh...Currently using the charger that came with the bolt. I tuck it under the car when it's charging.

Thanks for any useful help you can provide.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Perhaps agreeing to pay for all of it? One thing though, mind the trip hazard. If someone gets tripped over because of your charging thing, you and / or the landlord may be on the hook.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
603 Posts
My first thought was paying for the installation as well but there is no guarantee on how long you will be there and you would be out that expense. Is it possible to run the cord out a window? It would be safer for people on the stairs.

·
Registered
447 Posts
He takes cash. Pay for the install, then throw some cash into the rent each month. Money often motivates where nothing else will.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
197 Posts
Extra cash monthly is fair. An EV uses about 300kwh per month just for daily commute. That could be up to $100 or so depending where you are.

Considering all that, I wouldn't do it without compensation if I'm the landlord.

-TL

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
98 Posts
An EV uses about 300kwh per month just for daily commute. That could be up to $100 or so depending where you are.
My commute is 130 miles 4 days a week, and I typically use ~400-500 kWh/mo at $.102/kWh. So, $100 seems a bit steep for most.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
98 Posts
Agreed that money talks. Landlords don't want unnecessary expenses. Installing a 14-50 circuit and the power use are both expenses he wouldn't want to take on, what are the chances the next tenant will want to use it?

Depending on cable runs, the job would be anywhere from $300-$1000 US. That may be a lot of expense if this is not a long term place you will be living. That would pay for a lot of public charging.

In addition to the circuit cost, there is the power use to consider. You should be prepared to compensate for that if he pays utilities.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Many states in the US currently have incentives for landlords to install EVSE's in multiple dwelling buildings.

Any incentives in Ontario for installation of a EVSE?

·
Registered
197 Posts
My commute is 130 miles 4 days a week, and I typically use ~400-500 kWh/mo at $.102/kWh. So, $100 seems a bit steep for most.
We pay $0.25 a kWh here in southern California. That's why I said depending on where you are. Even $50 a month where you are, it is $600 a year. Why should I, as a landlord, pay for it for you?

Besides, with a NEMA socket installed at side of the building, how can I prevent other people from using it?

-TL

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Maybe an option?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
We pay $0.25 a kWh here in southern California. That's why I said depending on where you are. Even $50 a month where you are, it is $600 a year. Why should I, as a landlord, pay for it for you?

Besides, with a NEMA socket installed at side of the building, how can I prevent other people from using it?

-TL

NEMA 14-50 will not prevent anyone from using it. They just need to connect their portable EVSE. You would have to add a locking case too.

Might want to look into state programs for public EVSE and maybe installing a Chargepoint (or another one that allows billing) unit. If you do the leg work and pay the unsubsidized portion, landlord may agree to the install. Make sure to add a idling charge to the EVSE so another renter does not use that as their own personal parking spot.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I myself own rental property. It is quite a bit to do and risk to take to keep the business going. I wouldn't mind making the tenant's life more comfortable if it doesn't cost me and increase my risk exposure. That's what you need to convince me if you want me to install a socket for you to charge your car. Generally whatever I do I do it to generate profit, at least not to generate a loss. Cost here includes the time I need to spend.

So bear that in mind when talking to the landlord.

-TL

·
Registered
10 Posts
You say the house is 130 years old. Have you checked that the service entrance is up to having a 50A 240V circuit added? In much of the US, if the service entrance needs to be upgraded, the entire house needs to be brought up to current electrical code, which may be an expense neither you nor the landlord wish to incur.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Good point. Our home was built in 1989 and it came with 120A 240V capacity. I probably can't put in an additional 50A circuit without upgrading to 200A or higher. I did that when we installed the solar panels, and it cost me quite a sum.

Also if I know my tenant is run a 100ft extension cord to charge his car daily, I probably will ask him to stop, as I don't want the trip hazard.

-TL

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good point. Our home was built in 1989 and it came with 120A 240V capacity. I probably can't put in an additional 50A circuit without upgrading to 200A or higher. I did that when we installed the solar panels, and it cost me quite a sum.

Also if I know my tenant is run a 100ft extension cord to charge his car daily, I probably will ask him to stop, as I don't want the trip hazard.

-TL

The cord is not a trip hazard with my system. It hugs the walls with some clips and I only do it during the night. Since I leave for work at 5am it is not an issue at all.

No I cannot and will not pay for it 100%. If I move I cannot take that loss. Sry. 50/50 is my only offer.

Good point with the limitations of the age of the house and the electric system. Will look into that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you're charging satisfactorily with your extension cord and stock EVSE an outside NEMA 5-15 might be an acceptable compromise. There are plenty of uses for an ordinary outdoor receptacle, after all.

·
Registered
447 Posts
NEMA 14-50 will not prevent anyone from using it. They just need to connect their portable EVSE. You would have to add a locking case too.

Might want to look into state programs for public EVSE and maybe installing a Chargepoint (or another one that allows billing) unit. If you do the leg work and pay the unsubsidized portion, landlord may agree to the install. Make sure to add a idling charge to the EVSE so another renter does not use that as their own personal parking spot.
Not worth the effort. As much of a pain that plugging and unplugging every time you charge may be, it's much simpler to have a lockable box over the 14-50 and unlock/lock to secure/use the box.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
My advice is how I would do it based on your thorough description of the situation. This is of course assuming that you plan on staying in the current location for 2 years or more:
1. Offer to pay for the whole thing. You're paying it forward and since the ROI on the **** car is at best a triple screwing; you bought it to save carbon emissions, right? So, you can help the next guy save carbon emissions after two years if you leave. Pay for the whole install, this is your situation that you created after all. All you.
2. Make sure you are paying for the electricity consumed or make an allowance for that. This guy is old school, he'll want his money.
3. Grease his wheels for the inconvenience of having to deal with the situation and waste his time dealing with this in general, give him a one time payment of $300. If you're a pain in the ass to deal with, and I am NOT saying you are, but if you are 'that' tenant, up that to $500. You aren't poor, the Bolts are not cheap no matter how much your state is in debt to give you a subsidy.

It stings a little, remember, you aren't poor no matter how often you tell yourself you are. It sucks to pay for it all but I will be the first to tell you that a month after it's done and you're not dealing with that extension cord you will high five yourself frequently. And, you're doing a good thing for the next guy or chick. Kudo's to both of you. You're approaching it respectfully and I do understand the landlord side of it too even though I would, as the landlord, work with you. But you're dealing with a gripper, and those old guys when they hit 55 are not easy to reason with and they are never wrong. We need Soylent Green processing centers but that's solving a different problem and for a different forum.

Love the cat picture btw.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
No I cannot and will not pay for it 100%. If I move I cannot take that loss. Sry. 50/50 is my only offer.
Oh ****, I didn't see this until after I initially responded and there's no delete post option. Ok, yeah, my gut instinct after consulting a Ouija Board is your landlord isn't going to budge. He doesn't benefit at all from the install so I just don't see it happening.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Have to agree with Zoom here. If you are asking the landlord to pay half of the install, then can you explain what's in it for him from his perspective? You'll leave and the next person likely won't have an EV. So the entire setup will sit unused.

Rental properties are designed to generate income for the landlord. I cannot see how installing a charger for you improves his bottom line. So I can see it from his point of view.

ga2500ev

1 - 20 of 132 Posts