Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 80 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
The Quick 220 is a higher-end version of the EV Doubler. Its outlet is 6-15, so a 15A-rated adapter is required.
Plug your OEM charger into this and get 2.88 kW (37.5% of Bolt max charge rate = +10 mi/hr).
(I haven't tried it. Still too ghetto.)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
If you're trying to get 240v to your OEM EVSE, you just need to add an adapter to change the stove's 240V outlet into a NEMA 5-15F and use your current extension cord like now. The OEM EVSE will send 240V 12A, which should be fine as long as you are using a heavy duty extension cord that is rated for at least 15A. Just remember, though, that the extension cord will be running 240V and that's pretty dangerous.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
How long is your extension cord, and does the landlord know you're doing this? I think if I was the landlord, I'd at least put in a switched exterior outlet to avoid this arrangement.
As stated in the first post....the extension cord is 100ft. Yes he knows. There is NO DANGER AT ALL to that arrangement due to a smart cable arrangement of said extension cord. This was all mentioned in previous posts.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Anyone else have any useful ideas?
I do like your avatar.

Your cat does remind me of an old proverb from Don Quijote -- "don't look for three feet on a cat"
(So said because there will always be three feet on a cat--Some people will always find a way to say no.)

It seems that your are surrounded by landlords, businesses and a situation that always has occasion to find three feet on a cat. Sixteen forum members and over 65 messages haven't come up with a solution. It's where you are. So it goes.

Yet, you are lucky. You have a way to charge, you are the owner of BOLT, you have an evening assigned parking space, you have well below market rent, and there is free (for now) DCFC charging in Owen Sound, and more convenient, yet paid DCFC in Mt. Forest, Clifford, or even Arthur.

You are probably much better off than renters who pay full price and have to park in the street.

So, buy a self-winding cord reel to zip that extension cord up and down the stairs automatically. Pet the four-footed cat.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yeah, it would be unfortunate to waste multiple minutes looking. Maybe circuits #11 and #12, who knows.
Generally (for boxes like these, in the western US, YMMV) all the breakers on the left side of the box will be on one phase, and the breakers on the other side of the box will be on the other phase. You'd need to remove the safety shield to see how the bus bar is arranged to make certain. I couldn't find a detailed interior diagram showing bus bar routing with light googling. In any case, if you wanted to try one of these chargers you could test outlets based on that notion, and see. Easier to start that way than picking random outlet pairings.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Phases alternate as you go down. 240V breakers are double-width so they can get both phases. So his best bet are circuits #11 and #13, which are both labeled "KITCHEN REC."

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Sixteen forum members and over 65 messages haven't come up with a solution. It's where you are. So it goes.
Lol, I was approaching the situation so as to not even ask the Landlord. I added my 240 breaker to the panel at the house with it live so my wife wouldn't know what I was doing. I did have to sneak into the house and reprogram the coffee maker before she noticed as I had to pull a few breakers to make room. Too bad the stove wasn't gas. My house has a propane stove, but behind it is the wiring for electric just sitting there doing nothing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have no idea what is in your neighborhood but have you tried to rent a parking space on someone's property? Maybe they have an electrical connection close to it. Or, maybe there is a local garage owner who uses only one bay (widow/widower ?). If you are lucky the garage will have 240. The parking space or garage would have to be convenient for you. If this works out you have a garage and the garage owner has a little extra cash every month. Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well I am getting QUITE sick and tired of having to go out and playing with a 100ft cord just to plug in my Bolt EV. Snaking a wire down the stairs, out the hall, pinched out two doors and out to my car.
{clip}

Thanks for any useful help you can provide.
Any chance there's an electric dryer in the basement of the house? Maybe you could get the landlord's permission to use that to power a lesser EVSE (24-amps max on a 30-amp branch circuit). Just unplug the dryer and plug in your extension cord ... Of course you can't do the laundry while charging ;-)

·
Registered
12 Posts
By the way, nice looking cat!! We have 6 that over time showed up on our farm. All have been neutered / spayed have all their shots and are living a good life at our home. I enjoy every one of them as I'm sure you do.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I got tired of reading this half way through, but from what I gather from 2+ pages of this is that your L1 charging with the stock EVSE on an extension cord is adequate to your driving needs, it is just inconvenient to have to run the extension cord on a daily basis, and your landlord doesn't want to invest money out of his pocket to install a 240V exterior plug to make your life easier.

You have two choices:

#1 Accept that your way below market value rent means that you don't get top of the line amenities and keep charging as you have been.

#2 Move somewhere with double or higher rent costs that has either 240V exterior plugs or dedicated L2 charging stations.

I guess option 3 is to complain that your landlord who is charging you way under market value for your rent is somehow in the wrong for not spending his money to make your life easier... that seems to be a pretty common thing today.

Keith

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I am not complaining. I am grateful and trying to convince him that installing a charger will not only help me but will increase the value of the place IN CASE I move. I will pay HALF AND ONLY HALF.

If you call that complaining then I suggest that you look up the word in a dictionary.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Slightly off topic, but don't you lose a lot of heat when you run the extension cord in the winter? I think you mentioned that you run the cord underneath the door, but that sounds like an awfully big gap on the bottom of the door.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Slightly off topic, but don't you lose a lot of heat when you run the extension cord in the winter? I think you mentioned that you run the cord underneath the door, but that sounds like an awfully big gap on the bottom of the door.
Nope. There is a gap under the door and is covered by a couple rubber strips.

61 - 80 of 129 Posts