Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read some of the other forum threads, but I am more confused than ever. I just leased a Bolt for 36 months, and need to purchase a home charger. I want the fastest/best quality one as possible, and will probably get a Tesla in 3 years. Can you outline the steps to purchase and what I need as if I'm a fifth grader? (Probably fourth grader is better, I'm really clueless).

Thanks!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I read some of the other forum threads, but I am more confused than ever. I just leased a Bolt for 36 months, and need to purchase a home charger. I want the fastest/best quality one as possible, and will probably get a Tesla in 3 years. Can you outline the steps to purchase and what I need as if I'm a fifth grader? (Probably fourth grader is better, I'm really clueless).

Thanks!
I bought my level 2 charger (240 V system) built by Charge Point from Amazon. I had an electrician install it and it works fine, talks to my iPhone through an App. From earlier threads on this forum, I think the Copper Creek EVSE is popular. If you dig back on the forum there are earlier threads that cover this extensively.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I want the fastest/best quality one as possible, and will probably get a Tesla in 3 years. Can you outline the steps to purchase and what I need as if I'm a fifth grader? (Probably fourth grader is better, I'm really clueless)
Choose a charger. If you are going to buy a Tesla, buy a Tesla wall charger, which is not a bad charger. Give the electrical specs to an electrician and have him sort out what you need. The Bolt is limited to 32 amps, which determines the charge rate, and just about any 240 volt charger will do the job. The main difference between chargers is the data that you can pull from them. If you don't want to learn all the details about electrical stuff, none of it really matters. I bought the ChargePoint home charger and it works fine for me. You will need a Tesla to J-1772 adapter to use the Tesla charger. This can be obtained from places like QuickChargePower. If you don't want to go the adapter route, go for something like the ChargePoint charger, or one of the others mentioned on this site. I can't think of anything that is absolutely critical for you to worry about, unless you are a data maven, in which case you have to do your thinking.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought my level 2 charger (240 V system) built by Charge Point from Amazon. I had an electrician install it and it works fine, talks to my iPhone through an App. From earlier threads on this forum, I think the Copper Creek EVSE is popular. If you dig back on the forum there are earlier threads that cover this extensively.
OP, it's called Clipper Creek in case you can't find Copper Creek. :)
Some people seem happy about their Juicebox as well.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Shortest, simple explanation:
If you drive 200 miles a day (or less), any 32A EVSE will fully charge your EV (Bolt, Tesla, LEAF, or almost any new EV) overnight.

Why do you need the "fastest possible"? And is money no object?
The fastest are DCFC units that require 3 phase 480. These will be among the best quality as well. Expect to spend upwards of $40K (likely much, much more if you are in a residential neighborhood that currently does not have 3 phase power available).

In reality, you should match the EVSE to your driving habits (the "charger" for AC power - 120V or 240V - is built into the car).

Some basics:
The EVSE "advertises" the amperage available when connected to the car
The charger (built into the car) and battery management system control the charge rate. It can vary based on things like battery temperature, ambient temperature, battery state of charge, etc. Your EVSE may "advertise" more (or less) than the cars maximum charge rate, but the car will adjust accordingly.

A 32A EVSE will provide about 100 miles of range to the Bolt (and all Teslas) in about 4 hours. If you drive 200 miles a day, 8 hours will get you close to a full charge.

The Bolt has a 32A charger, so a 40A (or even more) EVSE will not be any faster when connected to the Bolt than a 32A unit.

You didn't specify what Tesla you would be getting in three years, but the standard Model 3 is also equipped with a 32A charger. The currently shipping "long range" Model 3 has a 40A charger, so will get the same 100 miles in a little over 3 hours, or 6.5 hours for 200 miles if you upgrade to a 40A EVSE.

The S and X have had various configurations over time, but 48A is a safe bet for those. 100 miles is under 3 hours. 200 miles in about 5.5.

Hard to be specific with the info you've given, but 2 hours of charging per day with a 32A unit will be ~ 15K miles a year. Not sure how many your lease allows, if your car will be used for commuting, how long that commute will be, if you need to top off during the day to get 200+ miles, are you on TOU, will be charging more than one EV, etc.

·
Registered
782 Posts
slight correction

the short-range Model 3 (215 mile version) will come with a maximum 32 amp on-board charger
the long-range Model 3 (310 mile version) will come with a maximum 48 amp on-board charger

the UMC (UMC II) that ships with the Model 3 is a maximum charge rate of 32 amps
the existing UMC (UMC I) has a maximum charge rate of 40 amps
to obtain a 48 amp charge rate you will need a ClipperCreek 48 amp charger or a Tesla Wall Connector with a 60 amp circuit.

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/82-charging-batteries/18370-ignore-if-you-like-tesla-model-3-charging-facts.html

·
Registered
782 Posts
The S and X have had various configurations over time, but 48A is a safe bet for those. 100 miles is under 3 hours. 200 miles in about 5.5.
the current trend with Tesla is the size of the in car charger is no longer under customer control during the order process - if you order a "smaller" battery you get the 48 amp charger on the S & X - and if you order the 100 kWh battery you get the 72 amp charger.

TEsla has bounced back and forth between order for delivery, order after delivery, order after delivery software upgrade, to you no longer have choices...Tesla decides for you based on battery size.

Historically the options have been as follows

Original Model S (40 or 80 amps) - 80 amps optional at customer discretion
Current Model S (48 or 72) based on battery size
Original Model X (48 or 72) - 72 amps optional at customer discretion
Current Model X (48 or 72) based on battery size
Model 3 (32 or 48) based on model range

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought the Siemens VersiCharge 30A for 429 from amazon and that supplements my needs with the Bolt well. I see a charge rate of 7kW with it which is good enough for the Bolt. If you are planning on a Tesla then it would make sense to account for the additional amps that it allows. Bottomline, it depends on how much you are willing to spend on the charger and what feature you are looking for. Check out openevse.com for kits that can go upto 50A.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought the Tesla wall charger because I have a Tesla model 3 on order (Maybe Feb-Apr) and the Tesla charger allows you to connect two chargers on the same power line and share it to automatically charge both my Bolt and the Tesla overnight. I also bought the Tesla to J1772 Adapter on eBay (about the same price as the one mentioned here but you have to have the discount coupon to get the same price). I also purchased the Tesla portable charger for my Bolt as it has various power adapters and would allow me to charge at RV camp grounds and Destination charging stations with the unit when I am away from home. The price on the Tesla chargers is about the same as the others mentioned here and less when you compare high average units as it is capable of up to 80 Amps (if your breaker, wiring and distribution panel support it).

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought a ChargePoint in October 2016 when I bought the 2017 Volt that I traded in to buy my Bolt. I've been very happy with the ChargePoint: it integrates with my Nest thermostat so that I can get monthly use stats, and it also has wifi, so I can keep track of my charging either online or on an app on my iPhone.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I bought a Clipper Creek HCS-40,which gets pretty good reviews for reliability. I’ve had it six months, no issues.

Clipper Creek also has the more powerful HCS-50 on sale for $45 more than the HCS-40, at $635 versus $589.

The more powerful unit won’t charge the Bolt any faster, as the Bolt charger draws only 32 amps even if the EVSE is capable of delivering more, but the HCS-50 would be slightly faster if the next EV purchased can handle the higher power rating.

One note, the Clipper Creek doesn’t have any WiFi connectivity or programming capability. I didn’t need any of that, but some owners prefer an EVSE that allows programming, and provides detailed charging data. If you want that capability, the Clipper Creek isn’t for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts