Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! We have a 2017 bolt, have had it for almost a year now and really love it.

After several months of success yesterday couldn’t connect to DC fast charging - today I realized what I think is just a tiny piece of plastic appears to be missing on the bottom right. Has anyone had this experience? Does anyone have a source for this kind of part? A name for it :)? Thanks!
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
That may be the issue for sure. One can order that part but there is a lot of safety issues related to touching it. I doubt you can order just that little part from new GM parts online site. Might, just only might be able to get one off a junk car. Maybe a used part online. That little collar ought to be attached I'd think.

Online photos seem to show that there is a collar there or should be there.

The EV's out that I've seen have a way too cheap port and this stuff can happen easily.
Orange Font Audio equipment Cameras & optics Digital camera

This is the EU part but the US part is similar. As you can see any of the orange wires spell you need to be sure you disabled any power source.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yes, it's possible that plastic bit is molded around the pin and more that it needs replacing. But maybe not. Somewhere in here is the full service manual that might mention something about the port and whether any of it is repairable or if the whole unit needs replacing. But unless you are used to working with high voltage I would suggest letting the dealer do the work.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
That's part of the HV charging circuit.... might be covered under the battery, etc... warranty?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Took mine to the dealer with the exact same issue. They had the car for two days (just so they could hook up the code reader) and said that it hadn’t thrown a code and they were going to order the part. “It might take a month or two. We have no idea.”

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Looks like a guide/sleeve for the DC connection pin.

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
11,113 Posts
OK. I just went out in the garage and looked at the part. It is a tiny plastic piece that snaps down onto the metal contact. It actually easily rotates if you turn it with your fingers The sides are open slits. You can see the metal contact through the slits. The part is more air than plastic. I have no doubt you could pull it off with a needle nosed pliers. Probably got stuck in the DC plug which had trash in it from falling in the dirt.

Note to self: Always inspect charge plugs before inserting!

It appears to be a guide for the plug's contact. I frankly don't see how this would prevent charging. Now I want to go look at a charger plug.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,665 Posts
OK. I just went out in the garage and looked at the part. It is a tiny plastic piece that snaps down onto the metal contact. It actually easily rotates if you turn it with your fingers The sides are open slits. You can see the metal contact through the slits. The part is more air than plastic. I have no doubt you could pull it off with a needle nosed pliers. Probably got stuck in the DC plug which had trash in it from falling in the dirt.

Note to self: Always inspect charge plugs before inserting!

It appears to be a guide for the plug's contact. I frankly don't see how this would prevent charging. Now I want to go look at a charger plug.
That suggests one might be able to 3D print the part and just replace it. Anybody willing to create a design and post it?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
From this shot I snagged off the internet, it appears the plastic part may need to spread that metal collet in the holes, and/or depress the white plastic at the bottom of the hole. Clearly it does something to make the contact down there accessible.

Automotive lighting Light Automotive tire Product Black

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The photo I posted was the EU socket. It actually could be used but not easy to get in North America.

The correct part is in the link I posted. Nearly $400 plus labor unless as noted above some warranty or TSB issue.

The entire port of every EV I've seen is cheap plastic and will fail with the huge weight of the level 3/DC charger cables.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I went for a bike ride today, and stopped off at the EA site, on my way The hole down that tube you see, in the photo I posted earlier, is greatly foreshortened by the camera lens. It is actually about an inch deep. The first quarter inch is plastic, and the lower 3/4" inch is the brass collet you see.

So the actual current is carried across the entire surface of an ~1/4" diameter, 3/4" long brass rod, in a matching brass collet. I am still mystified how that little piece of missing plastic prevents charging.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Lol. Thanks for the clarification. In my case, the charging station tried to negotiate charging for several minutes and then just stopped.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
So the actual current is carried across the entire surface of an ~1/4" diameter, 3/4" long brass rod, in a matching brass collet. I am still mystified how that little piece of missing plastic prevents charging. plastic
From the OP's picture it looks to me like it's not just the plastic that's missing but also the metal rod that the collet mates to.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts