Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Help! Weird-Android Auto Problem

7K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  phuber 
#1 ·
My wife and I each have a Chevy Bolt - 2017 & 2018 models. When we start a Bolt, it senses the presence of our Samsung phone with Android Auto, when the cable is plugged into AA and it SOMETIMES brings AA to the display screen. Most of the time it goes to the Audio display and starts playing a song recorded on the phones memory chip music file. Naturally, this occurs mostly when we are in a hurry and desperately need navigation assistance. Two Bolts, two phones with cables, and the same type of problem with each. It's the intermittent nature of the problem that drives us nuts. Any ideas?

#4 ·
I haven't had those exact same problems with my 2019 and Samsung S10+ but I have found it to be a bit inconsistent as to whether AA starts on the nav screen when I plug it into the USB (sometimes it starts on the AA home screen and "lags" a bit when I try to go to the nav screen). So when I'm in a hurry to navigate, I started initiating the navigation on my phone as if I was going to use the phone stand-alone for navigation. Then I get in the car, start it up, wait about 15 seconds for the radio to get fully booted, and then plug in my phone which is already navigating the route. When I do it that way, AA always starts up on the navigation screen and I don't have to touch anything: I can just drive.

Mike

#6 ·
+1 for having to wait for the radio to fully boot.

Also I mentioned in another thread but I get a message on the phone that says something like "Allow access?". I feel strongly that that's the car trying to use the phone as a USB drive. If I hit accept or deny, then my AA is hosed and difficult to fix (I think because if I re-plug then the Bolt still wants to use it as a flash drive). Instead of accepting or denying, I either will just ignore it till it goes away, or hit the android "back" button to clear it. Then it's fine.

#8 · (Edited)
Once you have started the Bolt and plugged your phone in via USB and it doesn't bring AA to the screen, if you hold down the Bolt's home button for 3-6 seconds, AA should pop up, ready for your navigation needs.

If that doesn't work (though it should), you can always try saying "ok google" to navigate by voice command.

#10 ·
It’s probably obvious, but do you have “location” turned on with your phone?
I occasionally turn the GPS off on my Samsung, to save battery if I’m away for a few days.
If I forget to turn it back on, AA won’t work.
Like you have experienced, I sometimes get a crummy audio clip playing, but I think it’s only if I select media or something like that on the Bolts screen.
One other idea, if my wife last drove the car, then we both get in, it stays linked to her phone.
There is a screen showing all the pairings you’ve set up, I have to cancel her link, (IIRC I just select my phone from the menu), then it works.
Lastly, sometimes I have to launch Google Maps from the phone, then plug it into the car.
It is annoying, when pressed fir time & the **** thing won’t work. I still leave an old Garmin GPS in the console, there’s something to be said for a dedicated system.

#11 ·
Personally I have seen that behavior relating to if the phone is locked or unlocked when connected. If I was just using it and it is unlocked when connected it brings up Android Auto, if it locked before connecting the cable it won't, I then need to reach down and unlock it to get AA to start.

#12 ·
I've found that letting the car fully boot before trying anything extraordinary seems to stop weird behaviors. Get in, push "Start" first, adjust seats, mirrors, put on seatbelt etc. By the time I'm done getting ready, the car is usually ready, too. Then I plug in my phone and invoke AA.

I learned to re-order my start-the-car sequences with the EV-1 in 1997. It probably took fifteen seconds to boot up. First World problem...

#13 ·
Most of the time it goes to the Audio display and starts playing a song recorded on the phones memory chip music file. Naturally, this occurs mostly when we are in a hurry and desperately need navigation assistance.
(1) Be sure the infotainment source is not USB. Select FM instead.

(2) Try high-quality USB cable. Since nobody can tell which cables are H.Q., try a few until AA starts your navigation and runs whilst driving.

#15 ·
I have the exact same problem with my 2019 Bolt and Samsung Galaxy S10. Tried 3 different USB cables, have rebooted phone, reinstalled AA, etc. Been happening for almost 2 months now. I just figured it's a problem with Samsung's implemented of AA but just don't know.

#17 ·
Psyflyjohn, I have the same issue with my 2018 Bolt. While I have installed a tablet for use in navigation rather than to use Android Auto, I appreciate your efforts. Please let us know of anything we can do to be of help. Also, while you are talking with Chevrolet, would you consider talking with them about the blue tooth connectivity issue? Perhaps having multiple issues might help gain their attention.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.