Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I originally thought auto HUD was more of a gimmick than a safety accessory. I have now found that while Driving the MIL's car, which has a manufacturer Heads Up Display, I really like it. It visually projects Speed, posted speed limit, navigation, incoming text...etc out to what seems (visually focused) to be someplace over the front hood. All controlled by the steering wheel control cluster.

Although GM has this HUD option on some of it's vehicles, it is not an option for the Bolt. HUD Devices from Navdy, Garmin, kickstarter vaporware, and a bunch of off-brands run in price from $40 to well over $400. I was wondering if any members have any experience with aftermarket HUD's?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I always thought HUDs were ill suited for cars since your focus is in the mid-far region (one block away to 10 blocks away) while HUDs are in the near region (your steering wheel to the end of your hood). I find that when I do parking lot maneuvers, I tend to ignore distance traffic like a car travelling down the parking row--I'm more focused on the objects a few feet around my car (pedestrians, parked cars, curb, fences, stray carts). It takes me about a second to focus on a distance car coming down the parking row.

Same goes for the opposite: when I'm flying down a highway, I tend to ignore the things near my car and focus on distant things in front of me. Unless I move my eyes to focus on something else (speedo, radio, window button), anything along my eyeline ahead such as a HUD would be out of focus. Unless it's a glaring large icon for a turn or something, I'll likely ignore the HUD or worse yet, it will annoy me with small, subtle changes in various numeric readouts (a smaller speedo).

I'm curious, did you find it unusual to refocus on the HUD while driving with mid-far focus on a highway? I think some Bolt owners with the rear-view mirror camera (not the backup one, but the one you get in the rear-view mirror after you flip it down) complained about changing their focal point when switching from the traditional rear-view mirror to the rear-camera view.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm curious, did you find it unusual to refocus on the HUD while driving with mid-far focus on a highway?
You make some excellent points regarding ones normalized field of focus during different driving situations and conditions. It's a little difficult to describe the focal point. One does need to refocus to the HUD's superimposed display image area floating above the hood (about 4'-5' out). It's much like refocusing when one glances down at the instrument cluster or the radio...but easier to do. I had the same reaction as many when test driving the Premiere, I had a hard time adjusting to an expected depth of field of a ordinary mirror, vs. a monitor that gives a much wider field of view.

What I realized after the HUD novelty wore off, is that I stopped focusing on the HUD's image and it just became part of the driving landscape. However when I needed to check my speed, change a radio station, and especially when a call or text message came in, I never took my eyes off the road other than to check the side mirrors. Although I couldn't figure out the GPS on this Volvo SUV, I would imagine there would be little need to take ones eyes off the road to glance down at much of anything.

With all of the modern distractions going on below the dashboard, a HUD just seems safer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I always thought HUDs were ill suited for cars since your focus is in the mid-far region (one block away to 10 blocks away) while HUDs are in the near region (your steering wheel to the end of your hood).
Optically, a well-designed HUD should appear to be quite a bit further away than your hood, so that your eyes don't have to re-focus much when jumping between the road and the HUD image. Even if the HUD appears to be just 15' away, that's much easier than trying to refocus on the dashboard at 2'.

However, there's another type of focusing that you may be more relevant, and that may be what you are talking about: attention focusing. If you are moving fast down the highway, your brain should be thinking about vehicles hundreds of yards away, no matter where you eyes are pointed. But if you are parking, you are thinking about vehicles 3' from your bumper, and little else.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
shotel, mboni, you both convinced me to start keeping an eye out for a cheap HUD solution to play with. I got a spare 12V toggle-able accessory port just itching for another car gadget. You've both enabled me...

USEFUL UPDATE: Closest info I can offer is a review of a Navdy unit on a Gen 2 Volt from the gm-volt forums: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?272994-Navdy-HUD-Setup-on-my-Gen-2&p=3990834#post3990834

Will start shopping and if I finally pull the trigger, I'll post back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts