Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... With an ambitious and nearly vested plan to double the range of the Leaf...

The slide shows a 2011 Leaf with a range of 200km, followed by a 2013 Leaf with 228km, followed by a mysterious unnamed vehicle with an unspecified, but much longer range. I obtained a copy of the slide, and measured the arrow. It is exactly twice as long as the arrow depicting the range of the 2013 Leaf. Mind you: We are in Japan, the land of high precision.

Read it all... http://dailykanban.com/2015/01/today-heavy-hints-range-doubling-nissan-leaf-2016/

·
Registered
428 Posts
Are you saying that you think that the next gen Leaf is going to have a range of 400 km? I would be very surprised. Perhaps higher than 200 km, but not 400 km.

·
Registered
786 Posts
That can be possible. The concept Bolt is promised for 200 miles or 320 km, so a 400 km (or 240 mile) Nissan is possible if they install a much larger battery (over 60 kWh) and take up some of the passenger space.

·
Registered
428 Posts
That can be possible. The concept Bolt is promised for 200 miles or 320 km, so a 400 km (or 240 mile) Nissan is possible if they install a much larger battery (over 60 kWh) and take up some of the passenger space.
I think the real challenge is to achieve that level of range while still having ample space on board and not running up the weight too high. I also wonder at what point automakers will stop competing on range because eventually the range will be enough that people don't really care. At that point the real competition will in the EV market will begin.

·
Registered
639 Posts
sounds like a job for a supercapacitor to help them achieve that sort of range, not sure how else it can be done at a low cost.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the real challenge is to achieve that level of range while still having ample space on board and not running up the weight too high. I also wonder at what point automakers will stop competing on range because eventually the range will be enough that people don't really care. At that point the real competition will in the EV market will begin.
From the article...

Nissan’s dapper Japan Chief Takao Katagiri told reporters to expect “a more efficient EV with an improved battery
Automakers won't stop competing on range, have they stopped competing on Fuel Economy? Me thinks not ;):D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts