Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I live in central California and am very interested in purchasing a Chevy Bolt. Others at my company have and are very impressed. I have two issues I need help with before I purchase. I live in the Modesto, CA area and I drive monthly to Redding, Ca. I find no charging stations past Sacramento on highway 5 nor highway 99 on my internet searches. Are my Google search parameters wrong or are there no charging stations available? I would think that each Chevy dealership would have one. At lease a fast charging station. Right? I am told they might but I would have to call each and every dealership on my path North. The other issue I have is the lack of certified Electric engine mechanics in the Modesto area. There are so few that you would have to make an appointment weeks in advance and then leave your car for a few days. This is not possible since I live alone and really do not want to have two cars. I would love some advise or direction from the forum.

Thank you

·
Registered
220 Posts
Often times dealerships have the chargers in relatively inaccessible locations and they tend to be a bit out of the way. Get yourself the PlugShare app, it makes searching for the charging locations much easier, and they are always up to date with user reviews and reports. Filter the result by the plug type looking for CCS/SAE. Using the app I was able to find two DC fast chargers on your route on the 5, one in Williams at the Carl's Jr. on the ChargePoint network, and another in Corning at the Olive Pit, also a ChargePoint network charger. Also two quick chargers in Redding, one at Carl's Jr. and one at Target.

As for electric engine (motor) mechanics, there's not much call for them yet, and there may never be. The mechanical simplicity makes the drivetrain repair likelihood almost non-existent, only a few bearings, almost no moving parts in the gear box, etc. It's not something you'd have to worry about at any rate until the warranty was up in three years at a minimum.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome Lauretta! It would seem as though CA has the best charging infrastructure in place, although some locations may have a cue (read: wait) for access to the chargers due to EV popularity. Once you get access to either the PlugShare app, or even the Chargepoint app - go looking around. Take a trip with your current car or ride along with one of your work pals to see how the process of finding the chargers goes. Usually very good notes on PlugShare re location, or power capability.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
I live in the Modesto, CA area and I drive monthly to Redding, Ca. I find no charging stations past Sacramento on highway 5 nor highway 99 on my internet searches.
Plugshare shows DC Fast Chargers in Chico on Highway 99 and in Williams and Corning on the I-5. And there are DC Fast chargers in Redding as well. Be aware, though, that all of these are 24kW chargers, and while they're a lot faster than Level 2 AC chargers they will take from ~50 to ~80% longer than the faster 50kW DC Fast Chargers that are the norm elsewhere.

I highly recommend you get a copy of the free PlugShare app or use their website - it's pretty universally acknowledged as the best way to find EV chargers. Just be sure to set the "filter" parameters to show only the chargers that are compatible with the Bolt: J1772 and CCS.

The other issue I have is the lack of certified Electric engine mechanics in the Modesto area.
All your work for the first few years is going to be done by Chevy under warranty, so the most important thing is to find a nearby dealer that sells and services the Bolt. Once you get past the first few years, chances are that any issues will have been worked out and you're pretty unlikely to need further service of the drivetrain. Electric Vehicles don't need the same kind of regular oil changes and tune-ups that gasoline vehicles do. The kinds of maintenance that you're most likely to need (checking fluid levels, changing tires, wiper blades, shocks, etc.) can be done by any auto mechanic.

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
Just throwing it out there and the OP may already know, but she is eligible for the $3000 San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District rebate. That's $7500 from the feds, $2500 from California, $3000 from the SJVAPD and maybe even $500 from PG&E if that is her energy provider. It makes dealing with charging headaches a lot more palatable!

I don't know how often the OP makes this trip, but with savings like this on the table, I would consider getting the Bolt and just renting a car to make this trip if it isn't regularly. The real savings are huge and renting a car is easy.

·
Registered
575 Posts
And your energy cost is likely going to be cheaper too. Here in San Jose, I traded in my old 2002 Honda Accord when I bought my Bolt last month. It got about 26 mpg, and my Bolt gets about 3.2 miles per kWh. Gas costs about $3 a gallon, and I charge my Bolt at work for 20 cents a kWh. Do the math: my Bolt costs me about half as much per mile.

BTW: all Chevy dealers should have a fast charger, or a level 2 charger as a minimum. Contact some of them along your route to determine accessibility. They will probably let you charge for free.

·
Registered
562 Posts
. . . the free PlugShare app or use their website . . . Just be sure to set the "filter" parameters to show only the chargers that are compatible with the Bolt: J1772 and CCS.
Thanks. I didn't know that the site allows for easy filtering based on your vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.