Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2018 Bolt Premier with all the packages and DC Charging from Friendly Chevrolet in Dallas TX. Not a lot of Bolts with dealers in Dallas. There were like 15 total in all of Dallas and only 1 matching what I wanted.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Awww yeah, the white is a nice choice. Congrats!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Moving to DFW - Have questions about Bolt

I currently live in Honolulu, Hawaii and drive a Nissan LEAF. Hawaii is made for EVs. There are free chargers everywhere, we get to park at the airport for free, also free parking at government buildings and a few other places. Plus you get to drive in the HOV lane even if you have just one person in the car.

What are the perks of having a EV in Texas (I'm looking at the Bolt because I am going to have to drive about 150 miles a day)? How about the tax breaks for not only the car but putting in a home charger?

Speaking of home chargers, we don't have one here because of all the free chargers around...how much does it cost to charge your car at home each night? This part of having an EV is new to me...I have had my LEAF for 3 years and haven't paid a penny for electricity.

I appreciate any help or advise you can give.

Thanks and Aloha!

Matthew

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I currently live in Honolulu, Hawaii and drive a Nissan LEAF. Hawaii is made for EVs. There are free chargers everywhere, we get to park at the airport for free, also free parking at government buildings and a few other places. Plus you get to drive in the HOV lane even if you have just one person in the car.

What are the perks of having a EV in Texas (I'm looking at the Bolt because I am going to have to drive about 150 miles a day)? How about the tax breaks for not only the car but putting in a home charger?

Speaking of home chargers, we don't have one here because of all the free chargers around...how much does it cost to charge your car at home each night? This part of having an EV is new to me...I have had my LEAF for 3 years and haven't paid a penny for electricity.

I appreciate any help or advise you can give.

Thanks and Aloha!

Matthew

There's the cost of wiring a 40A circuit to the charger location. That will depend on local codes and building costs that are quite high where you are. There's also the cost of an L2 EVSE ("charger"), which can vary from $250-$500 on the Mainland...plus the premium for shipping to the islands. Once you have the EVSE in place, it will come down to what you pay per kWh for electricity. The Bolt will hold about 60kWh of energy. Multiply that times your per kWh cost for electricity, and you'll get a figure that's close to the cost to go about 240-ish miles. In general, you can probably expect to go about four miles for the cost of a kWh of electricity. So, divide what you pay per kWh for electricity by four to get your approximate cost per mile.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Greg

There's the cost of wiring a 40A circuit to the charger location. That will depend on local codes and building costs that are quite high where you are. There's also the cost of an L2 EVSE ("charger"), which can vary from $250-$500 on the Mainland...plus the premium for shipping to the islands. Once you have the EVSE in place, it will come down to what you pay per kWh for electricity. The Bolt will hold about 60kWh of energy. Multiply that times your per kWh cost for electricity, and you'll get a figure that's close to the cost to go about 240-ish miles. In general, you can probably expect to go about four miles for the cost of a kWh of electricity. So, divide what you pay per kWh for electricity by four to get your approximate cost per mile.
Thanks for the help. When we get to Texas, we'll look at the cost of putting in a charger. As for the cost calculations, that's gonna help.

Matt

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Thanks for the help. When we get to Texas, we'll look at the cost of putting in a charger. As for the cost calculations, that's gonna help.

Matt

Sorry, I misunderstood, but as you wrote, the info (besides the "island premium") still applies to Texas.

If you're putting in a new circuit, you'll need to be certain that your main panel will support the additional load. I highly recommend putting in at least a 50A circuit to support future EV charging. Better still, put in wires to support 70A at 220V. The incremental cost of bigger wires (and conduit) is cheap insurance for future flexibility, even if you only put a 40A receptacle on the circuit. Be certain that the electrician routes all *four* wires to the receptacle...two Hots, one Neutral and Ground. Many current L2 EVSEs don't need Neutral, but insist on it. Again, the incremental cost is low. You never know what the future will bring.

I had the luxury of a new 200A main, and put in a 100A sub in my garage. I've got my solar feed going into it, and two 14-50 receptacles coming out of it.

You'll need to carefully evaluate costs, because a main panel upgrade can be pricey...especially if you need to upgrade the utility feed.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Be certain that the electrician routes all *four* wires to the receptacle...two Hots, one Neutral and Ground. Many current L2 EVSEs don't need Neutral, but insist on it. Again, the incremental cost is low. You never know what the future will bring.
Probably good advice, but not universally accepted. Our local utility wanted to gather early returns on how EV owners use and charge, so they installed a free Siemens EVSE for us and only used a flat 12-3 three-wire system. They said they couldn't foresee any need for a four-wire system on a dedicated 230-volt plug.

jack vines

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Probably good advice, but not universally accepted. Our local utility wanted to gather early returns on how EV owners use and charge, so they installed a free Siemens EVSE for us and only used a flat 12-3 three-wire system. They said they couldn't foresee any need for a four-wire system on a dedicated 230-volt plug.

jack vines

Interesting, since 12AWG copper is only rated for 20A, and the Siemens unit pulls 30A when configured to 100%. Does yours provide the full 7.2kW? If so, I would question the expertise of the people at your local utility, and might consider writing a few letters to let them know that your safety has been compromised with this setup. I'd also either stop using it, or select it for 50% with the internal switch.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier and 2017 Bolt Premier
21 Posts
Just picked up a 2018 Bolt Premier with all the packages and DC Charging from Friendly Chevrolet in Dallas TX. Not a lot of Bolts with dealers in Dallas. There were like 15 total in all of Dallas and only 1 matching what I wanted.
Hello, wondering about the DC charging from Friendly comment. Do they have a DC charger on site?

Also, if any other Dallas Bolt owners would check in, I'd love to get a group together at one of our NTEAA (North Texas Electric Auto Association) monthly meetings. In my mind the Bolt is a great alternative to a Tesla 3 if for nothing else than it has a real dashboard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts