Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plunked down in December to get a Premier Kinetic Blue with Driver Confidence 2, Bose Infotainment, and DC Fast Charging. If you're gonna go in, might as well go all in, amiright? Haha.

Really excited to be a Bolt owner and to be a part of this community. I've already learn a lot from a bunch of you here so I'm hoping that I can contribute in some way.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Happy New Year. Welcome aboard and congratulations on your new Bolt. Now get your taxes done early.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! What happens if I don't do my taxes early?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Welcome aboard. We welcome your participation and sharing of experiences. Drive safely. Let's hope for an early Spring at our latitudes!

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
If you're gonna go in, might as well go all in, amiright? Haha.
Absolutely. You only have the pain of plunking the money down once, but the pleasure of what you purchased lasts for a long time, as does the regret of not getting what you really wanted.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Congrats! If that sneaking feeling about "plunking" so much dough creeps in, just drive by a gas station and smile.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats! If that sneaking feeling about "plunking" so much dough creeps in, just drive by a gas station and smile.
I do that all day e'eryday. I hate gas stations especially when they try to "top you off" and squeeze that extra change out of your wallet even when I specifically so to not do that. Annoy the heck out of me even though cost-wise it's not a big deal. It's the principle of not respecting the customer.

Your signature is interesting. What kinds of misfires were you experiencing? And how was the trade-in process?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I do that all day e'eryday. I hate gas stations especially when they try to "top you off" and squeeze that extra change out of your wallet even when I specifically so to not do that. Annoy the heck out of me even though cost-wise it's not a big deal. It's the principle of not respecting the customer.
Oh, right. Can't pump your own gas in NJ, right?

My wife gets mad at me if I don't "top off" her car because I think there's something about the shape of the filler neck/anti-siphon valve that means occasionally the tank won't completely fill. Then after the "fill up" the gauge doesn't quite show full.

EDIT: Love the color. Really wanted blue. Or red. But got white 'cause it was there and cheaper. Between a blue LT and a white Premier - I chose Premier.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I do that all day e'eryday. I hate gas stations especially when they try to "top you off" and squeeze that extra change out of your wallet even when I specifically so to not do that. Annoy the heck out of me even though cost-wise it's not a big deal.
As long as that extra gas goes into your tank then it's not as if they're ripping you off or anything...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Plunked down in December to get a Premier Kinetic Blue with Driver Confidence 2, Bose Infotainment, and DC Fast Charging. If you're gonna go in, might as well go all in, amiright? Haha.
Couldn’t agree more! I have basically the same car but in Cajun Red. Great ride, has everything I want (except adaptive cruise control :( ), and everything I don’t want (e.g. tailpipe emissions ;) ) .

Welcome!

Signed,

A former Jerseyan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, right. Can't pump your own gas in NJ, right?

My wife gets mad at me if I don't "top off" her car because I think there's something about the shape of the filler neck/anti-siphon valve that means occasionally the tank won't completely fill. Then after the "fill up" the gauge doesn't quite show full.

EDIT: Love the color. Really wanted blue. Or red. But got white 'cause it was there and cheaper. Between a blue LT and a white Premier - I chose Premier.
Gas Station Rant
Yeah, it's a piece of sht NJ law that requires gas attendants to pump gas for you. Hate it. There's usually only one attendant so you have to wait for that **** person servicing 4-6 cars at a time or sometimes they're not even by the pumps so you have to wait until they come out of the **** convenience store part of the gas station. It's ridiculous.

They also do this other annoying thing where they leave the credit card in the pump even though it's not needed to authorize the transaction anymore. Especially knowing that credit card thieves now install credit card number stealing machines onto any machine that accepts credit cards it's extra frustrating.

Color
It's all good. I love the Kinetic, too, but I was lucky to get it. Pretty much every dealer I checked both near and far only had the Kinetic in LT. I was pretty much ready to go with either a Mosaic Black or Nightfall Gray but got a great deal last minute. At the EoD, who cares, because we got great cars. You can't see the color from the inside! Well, except for that small piece on the door, which is still odd to me that you can see a piece of the "exterior" of the car on the inside.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As long as that extra gas goes into your tank then it's not as if they're ripping you off or anything...
I wish that was true. From the interwebz:

According to the EPA, once a gas tank is full, there is no way to fit any more gas in the tank. Gas stations are equipped with a vapor recovery system so that if a tank is full, the pump will pull the extra gas you're trying to pump into your car back into the station's tanks.

So yeah, we're getting ripped off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Couldn’t agree more! I have basically the same car but in Cajun Red. Great ride, has everything I want (except adaptive cruise control :( ), and everything I don’t want (e.g. tailpipe emissions ;) ) .

Welcome!

Signed,

A former Jerseyan
You would think that with all the cameras they have that they would be able to install at least one more to capture the adaptive cruise ctrl ability. It's like getting a 5 Guys cheeseburger with the works and they decide not to add the caramelized onions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome sir I just got here myself, one of your neighbors in Pa.
My wife's family is from Philly burbs (e.g., West Chester, Broomall, Marple Newtown, etc.). We made the ~100 mile trip there and stopped at Molly Pitcher service area to get some charge. Had to charge in my father-in-law's garage the whole weekend we were there to recharge for the ride back. The closest chargers were at least a few miles away at dealerships and I wasn't about to just sit in a car for hours on end trying to recharge the car in sub-20 degree weather which would've slowed the recharge rate even further.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I wish that was true. From the interwebz:

According to the EPA, once a gas tank is full, there is no way to fit any more gas in the tank. Gas stations are equipped with a vapor recovery system so that if a tank is full, the pump will pull the extra gas you're trying to pump into your car back into the station's tanks.

So yeah, we're getting ripped off.
Here in BC most of the stations are self-serve, and that's what I always used. And I always top off my tank. Let me assure you, the gas does NOT go back into the station's tanks. I can attest to this based on (a) the knowledge of where my gas gauge registers based on whether I top off or not, and (b) the time or two when I've tried to overfill and ended up with gas on the ground.

There IS a vapour recovery line, but it's for the vapour, not for the liquid fuel. That line is far too tiny to get even a fraction of the fuel that comes out of the nozzle.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

Your signature is interesting. What kinds of misfires were you experiencing? And how was the trade-in process?
You can find more info about the misfire at the gm-volt forums:
Threads:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?252514-Bang-Click-noise-coming-from-rear-passenger-side-2016-Chevy-Volt
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?261057-16-Volt-backfiring
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?227073-Clank-noise-when-on-ICE-and-making-right-turn
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?282465-Sporadic-clank-sound-coming-from-rear-when-ICE-kicks-in-sometimes-(25-of-the-time).

Videos:
CA owner's 2016 Volt:
https://vimeo.com/177954038
Mine:
https://vimeo.com/228493984
https://vimeo.com/228494160

As for the trade-in process, it was typical dealer stuff. Shopped around but my original dealer still had the best offer. Not a fan of wheeling and dealing so my opinion might be one-sided. I think I got an acceptable deal with a net $5000 out of pocket to trade in the Volt and upgrade to the Bolt. I was aiming for $2000 but after dealer after dealer interaction, I gave up at $5000. Love my Bolt but I also loved my Volt. I traded the anxiety from the misfires to typical EV range anxiety which is very real for me now. Now, during the winter, I get 160 miles range and for a 100 mile commute, a 60-mile buffer for I-5 traffic and running errands for me starts to trigger range anxiety.

Trying to resolve the issue with GM via my state AG's office was not rewarding. Since I couldn't prove it was a safety issue and it didn't so far affect performance, I couldn't lemon law it. There was also the time sync to get it repaired and once GM mentioned in a TSB that dealers were to not waste time fixing it while GM was figuring out the problem, I figured even if it did turn out to be a safety issue, I couldn't bring it back the required 4 times to lemon law the Volt. So my half-serious shopping for a Bolt turned serious after that TSB. A few weeks after the TSB was mentioned I traded up to the Bolt.

There was also the dealing with GM. First GM rep blew me off twice (not the initial calls to establish a case, the two calls where I left a voicemail requesting updates but no one returned my call even days later) when I was upset and wanted GM to do SOMETHING about the issue (this was before their TSB (#PIP5518: Rattle Or Pop Noise During Gas Engine Start - (Sep 11, 2017) ). As the misfires started up due to colder weather triggering my Volt's ICE more often, it grated on my nerves enough (seeing pedestrians look for the misfire sound source was embarrassing too) that I gave up and actively looked for trading the Volt for a Bolt. I also had a $1k private offer as well so I figure fall pricing might be good enough to move to a Bolt. The dealer shopping experience along with the first GM rep really soured my opinion on GM but I needed a car and the EV gateway drug (Volt) got me hooked.

GM won back a little of my patronage with their 2nd GM rep. The Second Rep actually contacted me out of the blue after owning a Bolt for a few weeks. They wanted to follow up on my Volt issues but I flat told them they won and I traded up to a Bolt. They offered me $500 coupon for Bolt accessories and I took it. I'm still a bit peeved the First Rep blew me off but at least the Second Rep was proactive in making sure I was compensated. GM won but they actually cared about my opinion enough to offer a little consolation. Would've preferred cash since GM marks up their products so much (so that $500 was really more like $300 bucks), but was in no position to demand anything after giving up the Volt.

It seems there's been no activity on the misfire issue, though I've only been checking in the gm-volt forums once every week or two now. I keep the info in my sig in the hopes if the next owner of my Volt starts having issues and visits either the gm-volt or this forum, they reach out to me for additional info or leverage my videos and research for their case with GM should they need to open one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts