Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
All season tires are a huge lie.
I call them No Season tires. In reality they are good in no season. Performance Summer tires are Sooooo much better in rain than All Seasons. Snow tires are Soooo much better in snow ice and mud than all seasons. What makes a tire good for water dispersion makes it terrible for snow and mud traction. Not much helps on ice except studs. Studded tires are not legal in Oklahoma.

·
Registered
493 Posts
.... Not much helps on ice except studs. ...
Disagree.
Look at some of the Tire Rack Winter Tire testing videos on ice rinks!
These are not old school 'snow tires' with the big chunky tread. Those can throw snow and mud, sure, but,
We are talking about modern WINTER tires with the fine 'sipes' and soft rubber compounds that wear out quickly... :cautious:

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT purchased used, previous vehicle was a 2015 Chevy eSpark
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for posting your photos of your drive up Maple Canyon. It's mighty beautiful up there. I hope that even if you hadn't slid off of the road that you would have paused and taken a few photos on a scenic road like this anyway. Just for fun, I wanted to share with you, my studded ice rally tires that would have served you well on this trip.
I was up there doing some recon for ice climbing conditions.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Ok look....if you’re not going to listen to reason and get some proper snow tires then how about grabbing a set of snow socks for emergencies such as this for the future as a compromise instead? You can find them on Amazon.

·
Registered
258 Posts
$806 got me steelies and -1 + -1 size Michelin IceX for the Bolt and I AM CONVINCED!
Winter tires are awesome!

The Spark EV struggled to get up my driveway. I had to turn off TC and spin and steer back and forth to get to the top.
A +5 minute ordeal. Smelled tire smoke at one point.
With TC on and it just sat there trying to move a few inches.
It has the cheapest amazon AS tires known to man...

The Bolt earlier that morning just drove up it like the snow wasn't there.
I have X ice and they are definitely deep snow diggers...money well spent no regrets at all.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Nice, thanks for sharing Adventure Bolt. Another exciting legend for Bolt EV lore. I'll send you my old floor matts I don't use anymore, just send me a PM.
Nice !!
I'm not using mine either. I have that other after market brand with lips all the way around.
I don't need the originals. They just take up space on a shelf.
But now that I know they are emergency equipment ....... :unsure: ;)

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have X ice and they are definitely deep snow diggers...money well spent no regrets at all.
Bad tires. I also have them and they slide too much.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Nice, thanks for sharing Adventure Bolt. Another exciting legend for Bolt EV lore. I'll send you my old floor matts I don't use anymore, just send me a PM.
I don't know how to PM lol.

Got to start posting on my blog now that it's sort of functional. Got another trip planned to Moab this weekend.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Moab, yay!
Free DCFC, yay!

At least it was when I went there on my way home with my new Bolt in August.
Still free. It's a miracle for me because the chargers in Price UT are free (and 125kW!) the one in Moab is free (50kW) the one in Monticello is free meaning I can go from Castle Dale UT to Bears Ears Nat. Monument without paying a dime!

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
Still free. It's a miracle for me because the chargers in Price UT are free (and 125kW!) the one in Moab is free (50kW) the one in Monticello is free meaning I can go from Castle Dale UT to Bears Ears Nat. Monument without paying a dime!
Shhhh. :censored:
Some people don't like free things.....:p
We'll see if he still likes it being free when he arrives at the station and there's a long queue of people waiting for a charge. Some people have an almost irrational need to get something for nothing and they'll gladly spend an inordinate amount of time to save a trivial amount of money.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
We'll see if he still likes it being free when he arrives at the station and there's a long queue of people waiting for a charge. Some people have an almost irrational need to get something for nothing and they'll gladly spend an inordinate amount of time to save a trivial amount of money.
I've never so much as shared a charger in Price, Moab, Monticello and Castle Dale (especially that one). The one at the Rio Tinto stadium I have shared before but there wasn't a cue.

EDIT:

If you look at where those chargers are positioned you can see why. Castle Dale is there for one of two reasons: You're into canyoneering or ATV's and going on a weekend trip or you are one of the 800 people that live in that town.

Price is pretty busy and I'm interested in seeing electrify america break ground on a station up there. I've been lucky. If that one becomes pay-for there's a 25kW slow charger down the street I'd use in the event my car needed to recharge and wasn't towing.

Green River is EA and pay for

Moab is a semi popular charger- especially for Model 3 owners. Had one pull up while I was charging

Monticello is really out of the way. Unless you are wanting to drive to Texas or the Navajo nations you won't use that charger often. Alternatively if you're me it's a great charger when you're heading out to Indian Creek and Bear's Ears.

Bluff: I still haven't used that one, Texas, New Mexico Navajo nations access.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts