Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV / 2014 Spark EV / 2020 Tesla Model Y
135 Posts
I got a dash designs too and find it very effective at cutting glare, but I got it to cut reflections from the tweeter. Sound quality is much improved with the mat, but it does cut volume a bit... had to boost the treble several ticks to compensate.

http://www.aulfinger.us/CurrentCars/2018/2018-02-24.html

·
Registered
613 Posts
I bought mine about 1 year ago from DashCare in California. Because I had the white seats and the dash color for that is ash gray, which reflects off the windshield it was a necessity. There is a long thread about this somewhere on this site. Anyway, the dash cover looks OK and I can see the road under alternating bright sun and shadows.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
4,389 Posts
I bought mine about 1 year ago from DashCare in California. Because I had the white seats and the dash color for that is ash gray, which reflects off the windshield it was a necessity. There is a long thread about this somewhere on this site. Anyway, the dash cover looks OK and I can see the road under alternating bright sun and shadows.

Is the dashmat anywhere near the dash airbag deploy area on the passenger side? It isn't clear from your photo.

I have no problem looking through the reflection on my ash gray dash. But then again, I flip the rear-view mirror down and look "through" the video to the mirror view when we switch drivers, so we don't need to re-adjust it every time.

To each his/her own!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Is the dashmat anywhere near the dash airbag deploy area on the passenger side? It isn't clear from your photo.

I have no problem looking through the reflection on my ash gray dash. But then again, I flip the rear-view mirror down and look "through" the video to the mirror view when we switch drivers, so we don't need to re-adjust it every time.

To each his/her own!
The passenger side of the the dashmat is symmetric with the driver side. I don't think it interferes with the passenger side airbag. It just covers the dash and ends at the window. I think the airbag is in the A frame post. The main problem with the ash gray is if the car is going through daylight and shadows the reflections are enough to obscure the view of the upcoming region under shadows. Also, there is a constant low level reflection from the dash. That is why about 98% of cars are manufactured with a very dark gray or black dashboard. The long sloping windshield in the Bolt greatly amplifies the problem. But as you say, each to their own.:nerd:

·
Registered
556 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV / 2014 Spark EV / 2020 Tesla Model Y
135 Posts
Hi - well, perhaps. Have you tried? Last time I tried polarizers in a car, my LCD screen went dark at certain angles... I really did want the upper midrange reflections cut, too - audio for me is the real win!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I've had zero issues seeing the Bolt's screens with my polarized sunglasses, and they completely eliminate windshield reflections.
Completely agree. I've been using polarized sunglasses for driving for years, so I never really paid attention to this until chancing upon this thread. The reflections made by the dash vents completely disappear with the sunglasses on. Tried the whole "on and off" thing with the glasses several times while driving this morning and I can confirm this.

The reflections on the side windows made by the white trim, however, is only minimized - they do not disappear completely with the sunglasses. No detrimental effects on viewing the infotainment screen. Quite the opposite - the sunglasses makes it more visible when being hit by direct sunlight.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
4,389 Posts
Completely agree. I've been using polarized sunglasses for driving for years, so I never really paid attention to this until chancing upon this thread. The reflections made by the dash vents completely disappear with the sunglasses on. Tried the whole "on and off" thing with the glasses several times while driving this morning and I can confirm this.

The reflections on the side windows made by the white trim, however, is only minimized - they do not disappear completely with the sunglasses. No detrimental effects on viewing the infotainment screen. Quite the opposite - the sunglasses makes it more visible when being hit by direct sunlight.

The vast majority of reflected glare comes from horizontal surfaces. Light reflected from horizontal surfaces is predominantly polarized horizontally. (The vertical content gets translated or absorbed.) This is why polarizing lenses in glasses are vertically polarized, to block light that is predominantly horizontal from reflections.

Think of it as wiggling a rope through a picket fence. The light is the rope, with the fence the polarizing filter. Rope wiggles in the same direction as the fence slots will get through, but rope wiggles perpendicular to the slots will not.

The light reflected off the side windows is polarized vertically, like your glasses, so most of the reflected glare gets through. For fun (but not while driving!), take off your polarized glasses and look through them at various reflecting surfaces while rotating the glasses in front of your eye. Check out the LCD screen, too. Is it "FM"?

Nope. It's Physics, coupled with technology developed by Edwin Land in the 1930s and marketed by the Polaroid Company. Remember the Polaroid Land Camera?

https://www.osa.org/en-us/history/biographies/edwin-h--land/

Class dismissed!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Anybody have any luck finding a decent non-reflective, matte black mat*, with appropriate cutouts for collision heads-up lamps etc.?

Polarized sunglasses patch the problem here but it would be nice to have an option. Besides, I need my bifocals so I can use the electronic mirror. :cool:

*Minimally specular, for the very particular

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
4,389 Posts
Anybody have any luck finding a decent non-reflective, matte black mat*, with appropriate cutouts for collision heads-up lamps etc.?

Polarized sunglasses patch the problem here but it would be nice to have an option. Besides, I need my bifocals so I can use the electronic mirror. :cool:

*Minimally specular, for the very particular

How do you like banging your head on the head rest in order to view the "mirror" through the bottom of your bifocals?:nerd:

·
Registered
579 Posts
How do you like banging your head on the head rest in order to view the "mirror" through the bottom of your bifocals?:nerd:
I'm just lucky-- they line up OK with the normal slight glance up and right.

Hazarding a guess, the team that put this mirror together were all younger than 40. :) It's a nifty thing but definitely collides with senescence. Ironic-- body too stiff to turn around, eyes too failed use thing that is supposed to solve the rotation problem.

What's really fun with the rear-view panopticon is a bike rack with a bike on it. Particularly with the 360-- strange things happen to the geometry.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
4,389 Posts
I'm just lucky-- they line up OK with the normal slight glance up and right.

Hazarding a guess, the team that put this mirror together were all younger than 40. :) It's a nifty thing but definitely collides with senescence. Ironic-- body too stiff to turn around, eyes too failed use thing that is supposed to solve the rotation problem.

What's really fun with the rear-view panopticon is a bike rack with a bike on it. Particularly with the 360-- strange things happen to the geometry.

Yeah, I noticed the rack thing the first time I used it. I laughed because it was so comically wonky.:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts