Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
chevy bolt 2017
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I bought a 2017 Bolt over a month a go after our CRV died and I have yet to find an electric car that compares to it. We paid $17k(with tax and registration) for the car with 40k miles on it. We already had 240v in the garage so I just ordered a Level2 charge chord and switched our PG&E rate plan to EV2A. I looked into incentives and rebates etc. but the previous owner of the lease had already taken advantage of all of them which was expected I just wanted to be sure. No matter as the car was half the price of a new bolt. I programmed the car to charge off peak and by my calculation it costs about one fourth what we used to pay for gasoline.
This is our primary "family" car now and we love driving it.
Our second vehicle is an ICE vehicle and I really feel like its outdated, expensive to operate and less reliable when compared to the Bolt. I guess its no surprise that we are thinking of getting a second EV. I would like to get something other than a Bolt (simply for the sake of variety) but there really doesn't seem to be anything that can compete with the Bolt's price, range and features. We are not interested in dropping $50k on a Tesla Model 3. Has anyone else out there gone through this transition from two ICE cars to two EV's? Did you end up with two Bolts? Are there any other EV's that compare to the value of a Bolt? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Kept my ICE for utility purposes and medium range trips. If taking a trip >500 miles, I rent an Acadia or similar. If you get a 2nd EV, it's best to order (not at all required) a L2 charger that load balances so if you have a 2nd L2 charger on the same 240 circuit you can manage the load efficiently.

·
Registered
chevy bolt 2017
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kept my ICE for utility purposes and medium range trips. If taking a trip >500 miles, I rent an Acadia or similar. If you get a 2nd EV, it's best to order (not at all required) a L2 charger that load balances so if you have a 2nd L2 charger on the same 240 circuit you can manage the load efficiently.
Oh yeah - hadn't thought of that. I was just planning on sharing the one L2 charger between the two cars. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Has anyone else out there gone through this transition from two ICE cars to two EV's? Did you end up with two Bolts? Are there any other EV's that compare to the value of a Bolt? Thanks!
We went from two ICE cars to one EV, but we are both retired now. No 200+ mile EV, new or used, is going for as low prices as the Bolt. This is partly because, other than the Model 3 Tesla, it was the only "affordable" 200+ mile EV at first. The offerings from Kia, Hyundai, and lastly Nissan, are newer, and sold in fewer markets, with fewer discounts. The Tesla Model 3 will win against any other EV for cross-country trip practicality, due to their better charging infrastructure. But you will trade off DC charging superiority for purchase price.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I know several people who ended up with two Bolt EVs, but you're right, it seems a bit redundant. I actually think that a Bolt EV and Model 3 SR+ might be the most complementary EV car pair available today. The Bolt EV is more capable and easier to drive around locally. The Model 3 SR+ would be better for road trips (depending on how you travel). If you're looking for new, the SR might also be the only thing close to the Bolt EV in price ($35,000 versus high-markups on EVs like the Hyundai Kona Electric and KIA Niro EV... if you can find them). A friend replaced his Subaru Crosstrek with a Hyundai Kona Electric to complement his Chevy Bolt EV, and he seems very happy with the choice. Again, though, the Kona is expensive and limited.

If you're willing to look at used EVs, you can open yourself up to a lot of other possibilities. Used Tesla Model S can be had for less than a new Model 3 SR+, but some other very capable EVs can be had for even less than that. Depending on your range requirements, personal preferences, warranty requirements, etc., anything from a BMW i3 to a Nissan LEAF could make a great second car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We both really liked my 17, and in 19, our company needed a car, so we got another Bolt.

That was almost two years ago. Wouldn't change a thing.

We do still have four gas burners for the kids, but last time we took a major trip, we rented. It's working for us.

Reactions: ZoomZoom

·
Registered
589 Posts
Bought our first 2017 Bolt and both of us liked it so much that we were competing to use it. After a year, bought our second one and never looked back. Sharing a L2 charger is no problem. No problems with either car. Would do again in a flash.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I suspect in 2-3 years the early Bolts will have a big drop in price on the used market. Still a fine car but it will be competing with EV's with more extensive tech features which is now the big draw for people. I do wish brands would stop trying to get to 1000 mile range. Nobody would need more than 300 miles max if the cars could charge much faster. 300 is plenty to account for the range drop in winter for local driving, and for long road trips everyone should be stopping after about 5 hours of driving just to stretch/eat/bio break. The Bolt already has a longer range than my bladder!

·
Registered
chevy bolt 2017
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know several people who ended up with two Bolt EVs, but you're right, it seems a bit redundant. I actually think that a Bolt EV and Model 3 SR+ might be the most complementary EV car pair available today. The Bolt EV is more capable and easier to drive around locally. The Model 3 SR+ would be better for road trips (depending on how you travel). If you're looking for new, the SR might also be the only thing close to the Bolt EV in price ($35,000 versus high-markups on EVs like the Hyundai Kona Electric and KIA Niro EV... if you can find them). A friend replaced his Subaru Crosstrek with a Hyundai Kona Electric to complement his Chevy Bolt EV, and he seems very happy with the choice. Again, though, the Kona is expensive and limited.

If you're willing to look at used EVs, you can open yourself up to a lot of other possibilities. Used Tesla Model S can be had for less than a new Model 3 SR+, but some other very capable EVs can be had for even less than that. Depending on your range requirements, personal preferences, warranty requirements, etc., anything from a BMW i3 to a Nissan LEAF could make a great second car.
I almost bought a Tesla model 3 but I was shocked to find that there was no configuration that would get me into the car for any less than $48k before incentives.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I almost bought a Tesla model 3 but I was shocked to find that there was no configuration that would get me into the car for any less than $48k before incentives.
A while ago, yes. You should be able to order an SR+ now for about $6,000 to $7,000 less than that, regardless of where you are. If you have access to a Tesla store, I believe you can still order an SR for about $36,000 to $37,000, depending on whether you want the car to come with a coat of paint.

·
Registered
67 Posts
A couple options I haven’t seen mentioned:
  • Mini EV (if a 100mi range around town car works for a second vehicle)
  • VW ID4
Obviously both these options will look a lot better if you’re able to take advantage of the federal tax credit...

·
Registered
chevy bolt 2017
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ID4 does look very interesting. I am still a little salty about the whole diesel gate thin, but i think I need to test drive one.

·
Registered
chevy bolt 2017
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A while ago, yes. You should be able to order an SR+ now for about $6,000 to $7,000 less than that, regardless of where you are. If you have access to a Tesla store, I believe you can still order an SR for about $36,000 to $37,000, depending on whether you want the car to come with a coat of paint.
Haha - actually I kind of like the DeLorean look.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Haha - actually I kind of like the DeLorean look.
Unfortunately, it actually does come with paint, but I forget which color is included now. It's not even black or white as I remember, but one of the base colors requires $1,000 surcharge while the other doesn't. Frankly, Tesla should just release a base aluminum, given everyone seems to vinyl wrap their Model 3s anyway. They could call it "Raw Dog Edition," or whatever tickles Elon's fancy at the time. You'd probably have to pay more for no paint, though... maybe $42,069.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our second vehicle is an ICE vehicle and I really feel like its outdated, expensive to operate and less reliable when compared to the Bolt. I guess its no surprise that we are thinking of getting a second EV. I would like to get something other than a Bolt (simply for the sake of variety) but there really doesn't seem to be anything that can compete with the Bolt's price, range and features. We are not interested in dropping $50k on a Tesla Model 3. Has anyone else out there gone through this transition from two ICE cars to two EV's? Did you end up with two Bolts? Are there any other EV's that compare to the value of a Bolt? Thanks!
My wife and I got a Bolt in January last year while our second vehicle was a Chevy Sonic. This year our Sonic's engine died and dealer quoted us $6K+ for a used replacement engine so we ended up scrapping the Sonic and went for a second Bolt (2020) as we were able to get about $17K in rebates (between rebates and dealer incentives here in B.C.).

We looked at other options on the market but the Model 3 didn't get as much in rebates and the Kona and the Niro didn't have any inventory available.

We really like the Bolts, have the infrastructure at home to charge them, and they've proven to be quite reliable over the past 60,000+ Kms.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I bought an off lease Gen 1 Leaf at auction 5 years ago and for just around town, it was the best bang for the buck of anything with 4 wheels. Wanted to simplify my life as I'm looking at retiring so needed to thin out the stable and wanted just one car that could do it all and be all electric. As others have mentioned, the Model 3 fits that bill. My daughter though has acknowledged the superior aspects of a BEV from my experiences and wants one that can do the bull work during the week but take the occasional 500 mile trip for the weekend. She needs 150 mile range at 0 degrees F. Her husband will keep his ICEV for anything longer. My advice to her was "get a bolt". It's not the best at anything compared to all the rest but its price point is hard to beat for the value you get. Used Gen 1 & 2 Leafs are cheaper but don't have the range and Chademo is the red headed stepchild of fast charging. Kona's and Niro's are rare as hens teeth and no incentives other than the Fed Cred.
Right now with the GM $8,500 and the $6,500 dealer incentive in ZEV states, along with the Costco discount if you qualify make it the best deal on a new BEV. This may bring down the used prices as well.
As others have said though, long road trips will be stressful unless you rent an ICEV IMO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts