Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

We're about to embark on a LONG road trip in the Bolt, and the last time I used a huge Yakima roof box, my rage took quite a hit, putting me to around 160 miles (yes we were also going fast) - On this upcoming trip, it's all new territory, so I don't feel comfortable taking a 70 mile range hit.

I have a very solid 1 1/4" receiver that I've had bike racks and boats hitched up to, and that's all been very predictable range-wise, but I'm wondering if anybody has any long term, highway experience with the hitch mounted cargo boxes? Some older posts about a Volt said the penalty was less than 5%, but it's a different car, so that number isn't very certain.

Model suggestions and any other thoughts would be appreciated.

We're going on a 2500 or so mile trip and will be doing a lot of camping, two grownups, a 3 year old and a 6 year old, so you see my motivations.... Fortunately we don't do these kinds of trips often enough to warrant a larger car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
688 Posts
I don't have any suggestions, but I'm curious too. I use a Thule box, and get about 200 miles of range with it (I keep to the posted speed limits, no more than 65MPH on the east coast). Not only would a hitch-mounted box be more aerodynamic, it would be easier to access too.

I'm also curious as to what kind of boat you have towed. My current boat is way too large (about 3000 lbs with boat and trailer), but I have been considering downgrading to a trailerable dinghy so I can explore more waterways.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I tow a 10 foot inflatable with a 40 hp outboard using a 5x8 foot utility trailer and it works well. I don't have far to travel so I cant say how much impact it has on range.

·
Registered
31 Posts

I can’t track it down right now but I know I’ve read that another member had a good experience road tripping with a hitch mounted cargo carrier. It’s my plan for when I start taking longer road trips again...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm also curious as to what kind of boat you have towed. My current boat is way too large (about 3000 lbs with boat and trailer), but I have been considering downgrading to a trailerable dinghy so I can explore more waterways.
Towing a small sailboat with a 2017 Bolt

It's a little 14' sailboat - a 1984 Hobie Holder 14, hull weight is like 285 lbs. Fits me, the wife, and two little kids. Open cockpit of course, and I stuck an old 12V Minn Kota that I run with a 1/2 kwh stack of LiFePo4 for launch and taking out (and to get me out of trouble!) but overall it sails nicely. The trailer is heaviest, probably 350 lbs, and has leaf springs. It's an awful trailer, but it came with the boat for a grand total of $300, so I couldn't say no!!

Now on to this box business...

I might just get one and haul it around for a bit. At the very least I can put a cooler or two on it, and Ikea tarp duffel bags with garbage bags inside to keep things dry in the rain. They're cheap enough, or I could go wild and weld up a nice, ugly one and save the $130 - How hard could it be?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Seems like the biggest catch with the hitch carriers is the hitch tongue weight capacity. It can be pretty easy to overload if you're not careful, especially when packing for a long trip. Otherwise they should be a good solution.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Towing a small sailboat with a 2017 Bolt

It's a little 14' sailboat - a 1984 Hobie Holder 14, hull weight is like 285 lbs. Fits me, the wife, and two little kids. Open cockpit of course, and I stuck an old 12V Minn Kota that I run with a 1/2 kwh stack of LiFePo4 for launch and taking out (and to get me out of trouble!) but overall it sails nicely. The trailer is heaviest, probably 350 lbs, and has leaf springs. It's an awful trailer, but it came with the boat for a grand total of $300, so I couldn't say no!!
I would love to chat more about your boat and towing experience. I don't want to hijack this thread, but the one you linked to is a showcase closed to comments. May be worth starting another thread?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would love to chat more about your boat and towing experience. I don't want to hijack this thread, but the one you linked to is a showcase closed to comments. May be worth starting another thread?
His boat trailer photo & story - as well as my own - are contained in this thread:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey all,

We're about to embark on a LONG road trip in the Bolt, and the last time I used a huge Yakima roof box, my rage took quite a hit, putting me to around 160 miles (yes we were also going fast) - On this upcoming trip, it's all new territory, so I don't feel comfortable taking a 70 mile range hit.

I have a very solid 1 1/4" receiver that I've had bike racks and boats hitched up to, and that's all been very predictable range-wise, but I'm wondering if anybody has any long term, highway experience with the hitch mounted cargo boxes? Some older posts about a Volt said the penalty was less than 5%, but it's a different car, so that number isn't very certain.

We're going on a 2500 or so mile trip and will be doing a lot of camping, two grownups, a 3 year old and a 6 year old, so you see my motivations.... Fortunately we don't do these kinds of trips often enough to warrant a larger car.

Thanks!

His boat trailer photo & story - as well as my own - are contained in this thread:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Watch this video. Awesome. I did and purchased hitch. Same one.

not difficult to install. Works fine. I use for my bike and cargo rack. I brought the aluminum cargo from Amazon orCabalas.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks!
How much is this box going to weigh, and how much weight is your hitch rated to hold?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much is this box going to weigh, and how much weight is your hitch rated to hold?
Great question. The draw tites are rated to 200 tongue weight and a ton towing, and they're rocks for this car. As for what'll go on it, I'm anticipating a cooler, and a plastic bin for sleeping bags. And a collection of those 1 lb propane cylinders. I don't like those in the passenger compartment.

We just did a test camp near Big Bear, and the roof box is still awful for range, imagine that.

The cargo carrier comes in Friday, so I'll update then.

Thanks for everybody's input.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love my hitch and cargo carrier! I plan to sell my truck since I have more space for beach/biking/etc! You will enjoy too!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks!
I’ve used a hitch mounted cargo rack with a soft zip up cargo bag. Loss in range was negligible. It’s very convenient to have everything accessible at that level as opposed to on the roof. I also have a hitch mounted bike rack which seems to reduce my range when carrying bikes - more drag I guess.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Risking going overboard with the documentation and photos, but here it is...

The Curt 17x46 Cargo Carrier Item # C18145 arrived and was assembled. Good use of lock nuts for all fasteners. I put totes and 200 lbs of water onboard and took it for a shakedown cruise with no issues aside from a scrape when leaving the driveway. The driveway isn't even that bad! This is because the Draw-tite hitch is pretty low, and was more or less expected, but it held up like a champ, no bending or wobble, which speaks more to the rugged build of the hitch than anything else really. As long as you don't stack the contents too high the camera view isn't so bad, and the back door still opens. The reflector that comes stock pretty much sucks. It's little more than a red sticker. I bought a real DOT / NHTSA trailer sticker for under $2 and sliced it up and applied it on the rails. Works great. On account of this scraping issue though, I will be bringing a ratchet to pull the rack if I encounter anything insurmountable.

Pardon the dust and filth... kids, camping, etc take their toll.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Risking going overboard with the documentation and photos, but here it is...

The Curt 17x46 Cargo Carrier Item # C18145 arrived and was assembled. Good use of lock nuts for all fasteners. I put totes and 200 lbs of water onboard and took it for a shakedown cruise with no issues aside from a scrape when leaving the driveway. The driveway isn't even that bad! This is because the Draw-tite hitch is pretty low, and was more or less expected, but it held up like a champ, no bending or wobble, which speaks more to the rugged build of the hitch than anything else really. As long as you don't stack the contents too high the camera view isn't so bad, and the back door still opens. The reflector that comes stock pretty much sucks. It's little more than a red sticker. I bought a real DOT / NHTSA trailer sticker for under $2 and sliced it up and applied it on the rails. Works great. On account of this scraping issue though, I will be bringing a ratchet to pull the rack if I encounter anything insurmountable.

View attachment 29745
View attachment 29741 View attachment 29742 View attachment 29744 View attachment 29743
Pardon the dust and filth... kids, camping, etc take their toll. View attachment 29747 View attachment 29746

1 - 20 of 26 Posts