Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
How did u adjust for coming out of your garage? I encountered same problem but removed track then reinstalled on street. What did u do?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey SoeulBuddy™ - the scrape was pretty minimal. First time I just drove through it. It sounded way worse than it was. I can take the end of the driveway at a 45° angle which prevents it too. It had to do with payload. It wouldn't scrape when everything was empty, but that won't be the case come camping time. I'll probably angle it out and have someone watch me as I exit, and if it gets really gnarly, I'll pull it. For sure carrying the appropriate socket set on this trip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got it. Thank you! The cargo rack sits rather low but still doable. My bike rack works better.

Hey SoeulBuddy™ - the scrape was pretty minimal. First time I just drove through it. It sounded way worse than it was. I can take the end of the driveway at a 45° angle which prevents it too. It had to do with payload. It wouldn't scrape when everything was empty, but that won't be the case come camping time. I'll probably angle it out and have someone watch me as I exit, and if it gets really gnarly, I'll pull it. For sure carrying the appropriate socket set on this trip.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I wonder if any cargo box manufacturers have thought to put a roller on the trailing edge of the box? Even if it seldom makes a difference in the real world I can see it being a selling point when choosing one box over another.

Keith

·
Registered
368 Posts
I wonder if any cargo box manufacturers have thought to put a roller on the trailing edge of the box? Even if it seldom makes a difference in the real world I can see it being a selling point when choosing one box over another.

Keith
Probably cheaper/easier to just add a skid plate, and it wouldn't take as much vertical space as a roller/wheels. Something like this is likely more practical if it's a persistent issue for a user:

or this:

Yes, this will add slop to the fit of the device on the hitch and add to torsional loads. I wouldn't use one unless it was a constant issue.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thoughts on range:

We're 600 miles in to the trip, got through most of the central valley. Much better than the roof box, but given the high speed limits, it's hard to say. I average about 3.5 mi/kwh, my wife averages 3.3 mi/kwh. We've been charging about every 100 miles, due both to the terrible state of the DC corridor these days and the lower mileage we're getting. So, I don't think the rear rack came without penalty, but it's not horrible.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts