Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Today, i have installed a Kurt 59236 Tailight Converter into my 2017 Bolt Premier. It's a trailer wiring harness.

Wires to install are : ground (anywhere on the vehicle), left turn (yellow wire), right turn (green wire), tail (brown wire) and brake (red wire) lights.

I remove the left quarter panel to access two locations : the K101 trailer module and the Body Harness inline to the Rear Fascia Harness. This harness enter the car besides the same quarter panel, near the rear seat and go to a split.

I go to the service manual and find the wire colour where i have to connect each converter wire.

Wiring :

According to fig. 32 of Connector End View for X415 Body Harness to Rear Fascia Harness
I have to remove protector ribbon 2" long to access these wires.

Left Turn : Splice with Blue/Violet Wire
Right Turn : Splice with Blue/White Wire

These wires are hard to find because they are mixed with a bunch of about 20-30 wires but you will find eventually find them.

According to fig. 209 of Connector End View for K101 Trailer Interface Control Module X1 (MAH/MBC/MAW/MCX)

Brake Lights : Splice with Violet/White Wire
Tail Lights : Splice with Violet/Black Wire.

To free the quarter panel, you have to remove first the negative wire from the 12V battery ( for turning off SIR systems )
Remove or reposition and reinstall the following pieces :
Rear Seat Cushion
Rear Side Door Sill Garnish Molding
Rear Seat Back Bolster
Reposition the body lock pillar upper trim panel (push and lift it straight one inch to disengage top metallic notch)
Liftgate Sill Garnish Molding
Load Floor Stowage Compartement Cover Support
Cargo Center Courtesy Lamp

With the Quarter Panel free of the body, it is easy to reroute the big black wire to the positive of the battery following the main body wire harness until you can enter the black wire beneath the trims following the carpet until reaching the brake pedal in the front.

From there, i made an X slit into the rubber through hull with an exact knife and push the black wire outside and secure it until i reach the positive post of the 12V battery. Installing the 15A inline fuse is easy.

It takes me 4 hours to make this installation, i do not want to break anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
4 hrs?! I get the impression you think 4 hrs is too long? I find that to be just right. For a car n00b like myself, I'd consider at least a full day as I take apart and explore the structures as I take them apart. Putting them back together is always the harder part so slow and steady is the rule.

Thank you for the write-up!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi folks!

If you are like me and am unable to find any literature or instructions online for installing a trailer lighting module to your Chevy Bolt, you need look no further! These are instructions for installing a Tekonsha Modulite HD Protector Trailer Light Power Module (p/n 119148) to a 2017 Chevy Bolt. The information below could also likely be used for installing any other trailer light module from other manufacturers.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER!!: These are NOT official instructions and are not endorsed or verified by Tekonsha or Cheverolet and as such, you follow these instructions at your own risk. The author is not responsible for any damages of any kind resulting from the use of these instructions.

I trust that you will find these instructions clear and concise. Most importantly, I hope you are able to realize the full potential of the Chevy Bolt and demonstrate to the world that BEVs are fully capable of being utility vehicles!

Use the link below to get to the document. Let me know if there is a better way to share files on this forum though and I'll put it there as well. Feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll do my best to answer! Good luck!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OdlXkOxxJLZBquvj7EIUvjS0n4rYjMzp

·
Registered
2018 Bolt LT
105 Posts
Hi folks!

...I trust that you will find these instructions clear and concise. Most importantly, I hope you are able to realize the full potential of the Chevy Bolt and demonstrate to the world that BEVs are fully capable of being utility vehicles!

Use the link below to get to the document. Let me know if there is a better way to share files on this forum though and I'll put it there as well. Feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll do my best to answer! Good luck!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OdlXkOxxJLZBquvj7EIUvjS0n4rYjMzp
Thank you for this excellent link. Now that I've installed the Tekonsha Power Module and a Draw-Tite hitch I can escape some of this brutal AZ weather!

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Here's my Bolt pulling a trailer full of poop! It is such a fantastic little utility hatch!
How did it tow? Braking?

I have a much lighter 4x8 trailer, 500 lbs empty / 2000 GVW. It's handy to take into the orchard for harvest (Photo) then on the road.

I don't expect the Bolt to replace the Outback for highway towing at maximum rated weight (Photo2) but I would like to tow around town if the brakes seem adequate.

Comments?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Towing it there is a noticeable difference in braking effort and distance but nothing that is unsafe. You will likely notice your mechanical brakes doing more work than usual; again, to be expected. The trailer itself is rated for no faster than 90kph, so it's best to keep to country roads if you can.

I would certainly not attempt to put a tractor on a trailer as you did in photo2 with the Bolt. As you mentioned, the hitch, trailer, and car is rated for no more than 2000lbs MAX.

As you likely know, key to safe towing is to keep the load CoG forward of the trailer CoG. As long as you're doing that, you should have no problems towing the light trailer (and poop).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Folks, I did receive some PMs with questions about the trailer wiring document. I was unable to reply to them as the forum doesn't allow PMs until I've reached 15 posts??

Any ways, here are the answers (late in some cases, but I hope it helps):

1) there was a mistake in the document regarding which pins to test for the brakes. Testing for the brake should be Pins 0 and 2 AND Pins 0 and 3. Now fixed and posted to the link.
2) there are two sets of brake signals; one set lights up the hatch lights and the other, the bumper lights. The bumper brake lights only work if the hatch is open. So, to locate the right one comes down to guessing and testing between the two sets of White/Yellow-stripe cables.
3) exiting the cable: I just put it out the back of the hatch. it's long enough to get to trailer.

Hope this helps. Happy towing and Canadian Thanksgiving everyone!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not sure how I missed this thread... but just posting so that I can find it later when I get my hitch installed.

Starting next year, the Bolt will be an alternative for me using my truck as a track day hauler. I normally put the bike in the back of the truck and go, but adding it up, it costs me an extra $100-150 in gas per round trip to get to the track. After 1 season of using the Bolt, I will have saved enough money to pay for a L2 charger and the hitch. 2nd year would pay for the trailer. :)

If I time this right, I will get of with just having to pay for gas on the bike and MAYBE a short DCFC charge along the way. There are a few spots on the way to willows, ca, but my trip south to buttonwillow is going to be an interesting trip until they finish up that shell station on the 5 past 152. North is about 200 miles. South is about 230 miles. This is each way.

Just trying to estimate what kind of range I would get towing a small trailer of about 1000lbs total (tailer+bike+gear) going at about 70-75 mph.

What kinda sucks is that pulling a trailer in CA you are limited to 55mph, which may be good for range, but not in time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
main brake lights off when rear hatch ajar

Hello. It is mentioned in this thread that the bumper brake lights only come on when the rear hatch is ajar.
I have also noticed that the brake lights at the sides of the rear hatch do not come on if the hatch is even slightly
ajar. The bar brake light across the top does still come on when the hatch is ajar.

Does anyone know if this is true for all Bolts or just mine? Seems like a crazy idea to

make the car less safe if the back hatch is not shut properly. Also , I have checked on a friends Kia Niro
and the brake lights do come on even if the batch hatch is ajar.
Sorry if this is post is off subject a bit, but I have not figured out if I am allowed to start a new thread , and if I am , how to do it.
Must be a button somewhere but I can't find it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Allow me to put a fine point on things: If you are involved in any accident when towing something with the Bolt, you are opening yourself up to huge liability. The manual clearly states that the Bolt is not designed to tow. You may find that your own insurance company won't cover you when they realize you were towing against the owner manual's instructions. Then what? You have let all your assets be exposed to the whims of the other parties involved.

All that for a load of gravel or whatever.

Best of luck ...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well, I guess the warning doesn't apply to you folks that have no assets. No bank balance, house, other car, investments, etc. Oh, and there's always a brick for your future wages. But seriously, risking a lot just to haul some dirt?

·
Registered
612 Posts
No way would I haul gravel or anything heavy but I doubt this 250 lb (loaded) 40x48" trailer could contribute much to an accident, that's less weight than a couple of passengers. I'm curious to see if its wind resistance is noticeable. I can't feel it behind this Focus Wagon.

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Finally got my hitch all worked out...
That's actually a fairly heavy trailer before anything is put in it. Is there a spec plate on it that you can quote?

For comparison the tiny 40" x 48" trailer in my photo above is under 150 lbs (empty). Anything could tow that. It is a HF kit plus 1.5 sheets of 3/8 plywood.
The black 4'x8' trailer I pictured in the 'big to small' thread has an empty weight of 500 lbs, 400 with sides removed.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts