Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
If anyone is going with the drawtite, contact me, the directions aren't very step by step, having installed a lot of hitches, and this is number 6 on an EV, I'd love to help. I'm going to fabricate a new hitch in jan and mount it better. With the trailer loaded, we dropped a whole 1/2" from the bottom of the receiver.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Folks, I did receive some PMs with questions about the trailer wiring document. I was unable to reply to them as the forum doesn't allow PMs until I've reached 15 posts??

Any ways, here are the answers (late in some cases, but I hope it helps):

1) there was a mistake in the document regarding which pins to test for the brakes. Testing for the brake should be Pins 0 and 2 AND Pins 0 and 3. Now fixed and posted to the link.
2) there are two sets of brake signals; one set lights up the hatch lights and the other, the bumper lights. The bumper brake lights only work if the hatch is open. So, to locate the right one comes down to guessing and testing between the two sets of White/Yellow-stripe cables.
3) exiting the cable: I just put it out the back of the hatch. it's long enough to get to trailer.

Hope this helps. Happy towing and Canadian Thanksgiving everyone!
Thanks for mentioning that about the brake light test pin discrepancy - I was just about to call you on that! That whole post is an amazingly thorough story of the installation - you'd make a great technical writer of instructions! (y)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't be a wimp!

My Prius is rated to tow nothing, and I pulled a yard of dirt (I'm told 1800 lbs). I regularly tow a jetski weighing a couple hundred pounds; probably 400 with trailer. I've got a Torklift hitch, which I prefer due to the square receiver being the only part visible.

Use good judgement when towing and you'll be fine.

Harbor Freight folding trailer. Repacked bearing grease, but other than that stock.

ah, you rock redpoint. i just installed the torklift ecohitch onto my bolt. if you can do that w a prius i can for sure pull a few hundred lbs on a 4x6 trailer.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Anybody know any companies installing hitches and wiring kits? U-Haul isn't very confidence inspiring and won't do the wiring.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Anybody know any companies installing hitches and wiring kits? U-Haul isn't very confidence inspiring and won't do the wiring.
If you're able-bodied, I'd say it's easy enough to do yourself. Hitch receivers usually are 4 bolts, but probably requires cutting some plastic or removing it. Wiring is generally fairly easy too if you don't have to run the power cable all the way up to the battery. In my Mazda, there is a cigarette lighter in the hatch area I used to plug in the light kit, so I have no permanent power line run. Easy peasy.

I'd trust anyone that knows the difference between an adjustable wrench and a socket wrench.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
With this setup, how do you control the turn signals and brake lights on the trailer?
The power for the controller is provided via the cigarette lighter outlet. I had an extra cigarette plug, so all I had to do is splice it in to the controller to supply it with power. The brake and turn signal lights are as usual, plugging into the controller via Y harness.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts