Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're contemplating a trip to check out Oregon, with goals mostly having to do with nature and the outdoors, and definitely doing it in the Bolt. We'd be coming up from Los Angeles, which has been done by many people many times, but it's the exploring part that I'm thinking about. The mother-in-law is in Eugene. We have two little kids.

Places like crater lake seem like they might be on the slightly difficult side, as there isn't a lot of charging, but that's one we really want to try. Maybe leave out of Eugene, head up the mountains, poke around, camp at a place with an RV plug on the way back, then back to Eugene the next afternoon. That's the extent

We don't mind camping, and the trip is about 3 weeks, with a hub out of Eugene and probably Portland.

Any gems or things to expect (or not expect) that people might be willing to share?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Nehalem Bay State Park in Manzanita has got an amazing wide mostly empty long beach. But other way from the mountains. Mcminnville has the Spruce Goose and other aeronautical and space craft delights if you are into that kind of stuff. Also Pinot Noir country. Delicious Hazelnuts too. Crater lake is breath taking. Borrow an ICE if you have to. The tour of the Tillamook diary might be fun for kids with ice cream at the end (if they are even open due to virus).

·
Registered
356 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. I'm still bummed I didn't quite make it to Crater Lake last New Years. If I were to try the trip again, I'd spend the night in Klamath Falls, charge overnight, and then it would be a pretty straight shot up to Crater Lake, and then down and out to Bend (where there are DCFCs).

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
For me the highlight of Oregon is the drive along the coast. Unfortunately, the fast charging infrastructure is mostly nonexistent there, so you'd have to plan around overnight charging at L2-equipped hotels. Doable, but it would put a crimp in my style, which is to take things as they come without trying to stick to a pre-determined plan.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For me the highlight of Oregon is the drive along the coast. Unfortunately, the fast charging infrastructure is mostly nonexistent there, so you'd have to plan around overnight charging at L2-equipped hotels. Doable, but it would put a crimp in my style, which is to take things as they come without trying to stick to a pre-determined plan.
I like your style, we rolled that way with an RV and the kids, but I'm having some fear with just the hatchback and whatever arbitrary COVID restrictions we encounter. I'm almost more comfortable camping than relying on a motel, if that says anything about me...

The coastal situation is disappointing, but what can you do... then there's always the idea of just hunkering down at an Airbnb for a few days with an extension cord and just enjoying the location. Who knows. We're figuring it out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Crater Lake is definitely worth a visit. According to PlugShare, though, there is a free charger at some nearby cabins (PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You). Otherwise you should have enough to get there and back from Grants Pass or Klamath Falls. Not much going on in either city but it's a bit safer than trying to make it round trip from Eugene. If anything you could do Grants Pass and go to the coast from there too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crater Lake is definitely worth a visit. According to PlugShare, though, there is a free charger at some nearby cabins
Yeah I was looking at the ones at Mazama village, and by ones, I mean THE ONE. Plus the Tesla plug, which apparently somebody used on June 13th, so that's freaking awesome. Other than that, I was thinking of spending a night at the RV park in Crescent on the way back to Eugene.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Yeah I was looking at the ones at Mazama village, and by ones, I mean THE ONE.
Reminds me of the time my wife and I flew into Tillamook, which offered car rentals according to the general aviation airport guide. When we asked about renting a car the agent said "Oh - you're lucky, it's in!"

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
What sort of activities do you most enjoy? I care less about city stuff and spend more time outdoors.

One of my favorite places to eat in Portland is Teote in Ladd's for the neat covered outdoor space upstairs, and the reasonably priced Venezuelan inspired food. The International Test Rose Garden should also be visited. It's the biggest rose garden in Portland with the best views, and June is the prime time to go. Check out NW 23rd area. Lots of places to eat and shop, though the west side is more expensive and parking more difficult than the east side. One of my favorite spots, though more pricey, is The Fireside. Used to be our anniversary dinner spot when we lived near Portland. Salt and Straw is nearby, but waiting that long for ice cream seems crazy to me. Of course, walking the waterfront is a must. Might as well check out Powell's bookstore while it's still around.

I enjoy bike rides through Eugene and eating/drinking at various spots. Tacovore comes to mind.

Silver Falls State park is somewhat between Eugene and Portland, which is near where I live. I recommend people picnic there. Recently I've begun running the trails before the park officially opens, which is quite peaceful.

Smith Rock is high on my list, though that's out east near Redmond/Bend. If you're coming up from Crater Lake, that's not too far. That whole area is worth exploring and there is good camping available out that way. Bend has some caves to explore, along with any outdoor activity.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The town of Otis has 4 fast chargers on the coast, so that helps a lot. Supplement that with the many L2 charges and a coast trip should be fine. Crater Lake shouldn't be a problem. Charge up at Sutherlin then take 138 to Crater Lake, about 95 miles. Bend has lots of things to see, and fast chargers. Of course, the Columbia Gorge is a beautiful area and plenty of fast chargers. I took a fun trip to Christmas Valley with some interesting sights around there, but just one L2 charging location. A round-about trip might be from Eugene to Sutherlin to Crater Lake for a visit. Then north to Bend to see some sights there, then north to The Dalles and visit the gorge area before taking the freeways back to Eugene. Depends on how much time you have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts