Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning everyone, please see set of questions below.

I am more confused than ever. Months ago I bought a Chargepoint charger for a Bolt EV that I am still waiting to hear a build date. Due to the wait to have the car, I have not installed the charger yet and I missed the deadline to send in the incentive papers to the province (Ontario). I usually am on the ball with things, but this one I regret having done earlier... That incentive is gone for me, but my main concern is having the charger set up:

1) How long before you have the car did you install your home charger?
2) How did you know it was working/would work with the car? Or is it impossible to know until you have the vehicle and then troubleshoot form then on?

I have been following the forum for months and I do not see many canadians that own a Chargepoint charger and it’s making me rethink the entire home charging set up.
3) Can anyone out there from wherever, who has a Chargepoint describe their experience?

There’s a lot of money to be invested in setting up this charger but I need more specifics:

4) I have the plug in, most up-to-date long cabled version.What has to the min-maximum AMPs That I need?

Also Canadian bolt owners:

5) Did you guys buy a Tesla adaptor for road trips?
6) I saw one on eBay this morning for $240. How did that work and is it worth it?
7) How many of you bought a Tesla charger and an adaptor independently of EV for whatever reason such as, having a Tesla one day, better home large out there etc? And how did that work for you?
Thank you everyone and Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Not a problem at all. I purchased & installed a Chargepoint 240V/32A level 2 EVSE from scratch. Two weeks ago I got my government 50% rebate cheque, 7-months after submitting my application.

When did you buy your Chargepoint / how long have you had it ? If I were you I’d go ahead and apply for the rebate on the EVSE only (misnomered as “charger”) right away saying you don’t have a Bolt VIN yet. Get your foot in the door kind of thing.

Here’s why:
Italicized text below is taken from the Ont gov’t incentive application form:
“Electric vehicle charging station incentive applications must be received within three (3) months of the ESA certificate date of the charging station installation. If only applying for the purchase cost please submit your application within 3 months of the charger purchase date. [ the underlining is mine ]
• Only Level 2 (208V or 240V AC) charging stations are eligible for an incentive. Please consult the list of eligible charging stations” [btw, Chargepoint L2 IS eligible]

Link to Ontario’s Electric Vehicle Incentive form for the EVSE itself + Installation of EVSE:
http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/FormDetail?OpenForm&ACT=RDR&TAB=PROFILE&SRCH=&ENV=WWE&TIT=&NO=023-0177E

Now about the eventual installation of the EVSE: To see what I did, look at post #6 of below thread:
http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/346-eastern-canada/19346-home-charging-station-installation.html

Any other questions, post them here or feel free to send me a p.m.

PS: I didn’t buy a Tesla plug adapter. I haven’t yet charged anywhere other than at home. I carry the std 120v cord and two different 30A/15A plug adapters for that same cord. Carry a chargepoint card and have apps to find EVSE's. And have locations of Chev Bolt EV dealers who must have installed at least one level 3 charger part and parcel of getting Bolt franchise.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good morning everyone, please see set of questions below.

I am more confused than ever. Months ago I bought a Chargepoint charger for a Bolt EV that I am still waiting to hear a build date. Due to the wait to have the car, I have not installed the charger yet and I missed the deadline to send in the incentive papers to the province (Ontario). I usually am on the ball with things, but this one I regret having done earlier... That incentive is gone for me, but my main concern is having the charger set up:

2) How did you know it was working/would work with the car? Or is it impossible to know until you have the vehicle and then troubleshoot form then on?

I have been following the forum for months and I do not see many canadians that own a Chargepoint charger and it’s making me rethink the entire home charging set up.
3) Can anyone out there from wherever, who has a Chargepoint describe their experience?

There’s a lot of money to be invested in setting up this charger but I need more specifics:

4) I have the plug in, most up-to-date long cabled version.What has to the min-maximum AMPs That I need?

Also Canadian bolt owners:

6) I saw one on eBay this morning for $240. How did that work and is it worth it?
7) How many of you bought a Tesla charger and an adaptor independently of EV for whatever reason such as, having a Tesla one day, better home large out there etc? And how did that work for you?
Thank you everyone and Happy Holidays!
I'll take a crack at your questions:

1) My EVSE was installed about a week after the car arrived - I simply charged on the included 110v EVSE - it was sufficient for my driving.
2) Any EVSE that has the required connector (EV plug) will work with your car. The difference comes down to features and charge time. I bought the Juicebox 40, as it had some bonus features I wanted. Nothing wrong with your choice.
3) n/a
4) Your car will charge at 32 amps max. As your car will be charging a long time, you need to have it on a 40 amp circuit. I am personally unclear if the EVSE should be 40amp for the Bolt - someone else will clarify.
5) Not yet - keep in mind, that only gives you access to 'destination chargers' (level 2 charging - ie. overnight). Supercharger access is not possible.
6) They work fine. I'll say that for Southern Ontario, you'll be fine without it most of the time - pick it up if your travels take you to places where destination chargers are your only option.
7) I believe a few forum-goers have done this - I have not - they are capable of higher-capacity, but your Bolt will not use that capacity.

Cheers!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Torontonian69. Congratulations. I bet you are going to love your Bolt. Your EVSE (Chargepoint charger) should not be a big deal. You only need a reliable electrician. Price is often quite out of keeping with the complexity of the work (marginally more complex than installing an electrical outlet for the dryer), so shop around. My installation cost less than $500 in 2013, but that was a good price from an electrician who had worked at my home previously. $80 extra for ESA approval in order to get a rebate. I totally agree with Cehjun and think you should apply. You are the person for whom the rebate was intended. I did not buy a Tesla adapter in 4 1/2 years of traveling, but I have not taken my BEV's to the USA. In Canada the Tesla adapter probably will not get used much as there are enough Level 2's and 3's around.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My answers ...

I bought a 2017 Volt Premier at the end of October 2016 and had the Level 2 charger installed professionally by mid-November. The delay occurred because the electrician was booked up solid. I traded in the Volt for my 2017 Bolt EV Premier on November 13, 2017. :)

How did you know it was working/would work with the car? Or is it impossible to know until you have the vehicle and then troubleshoot form then on?
It's a ChargePoint level 2 charger. The connector is standard. I did my homework, and there was no doubt in my mind that the charger would work.

The electrician installed the necessary breaker, strung the appropriate wiring, and installed the ChargePoint in my detached garage. I connected the ChargePoint to my wireless router, plugged in my Volt (at that time), and it just worked. With my Bolt, I'm charging at full rate at home ... about 40 km or so per hour.

By the way, in BC, there's no rebate on the charger; we have to pay for the full thing, both unit and installation.

Sorry, can't help you there

No, I didn't, and I'm not considering doing so. There are plenty of level 2 and level 3 charging stations in Greater Vancouver, and when I do go anywhere, it's to the United States ... and there are also plenty of level 2 and level 3 charging stations down I-5. Of course, many are not free, so it's best to get an EVgo account.

Tesla adapter? Sorry, don't know. I have seen other posters who've gotten one, and apparently, they do work. I can't confirm so, though.

Again, can't help you there. As I said, I'm not considering one, and I don't think a Tesla is in my future. I'd only be interested in a Model 3, and with production delays and the fact that it will be much, much more than the US$35,000 for anything that approaches the same functionality of my Bolt (I've seen estimates of US$60,000), I wouldn't be able to afford one anyway.

Happy holidays to you, too!

·
Registered
979 Posts
If you've got the plugged Chargepoint 240v/32A model (called the Chargepoint "home 25"). Look at page 9 of the installation guide headed "For Professional Electricians". The unit needs a 6-50 style plug receptacle and 40 amp service panel breaker. It doesn't say what cable, I used 4 wire 6 AWG to be safe for an 85 foot run and to allow up to 65A-70A if needed in future. And have the wiring in place to switch to a 14-50 plug receptacle (ala Tesla and other EVSE's) if need be in future.
Here's the link to the Chargepoint manual:

https://www.chargepoint.com/files/home/home-install-guide.pdf

The Bolt's onboard charger can use up to around 30A and that Chargepoint EVSE supplies 32A. I've had very good performance with it & especially like the wifi feature for tracking usage.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your replies. Will keep this post in mind when it’s time to hire an electrician and I will go ahead and ask for the incentive...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts