Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been following posts for the last few days and decided to join. Bought a 2020 Bolt EV Premiere 3 days ago and love it. Looking to upgrade home charging capability. Here is what I have in place -- 220V/30 amp single dedicated circuit on 10 gauge wire with Nema 10-30 plug in the garage (use it for a 220V saw which I no longer have). Been researching possible chargers and here is what I think I know. Max amp charge will be 24amps (80% of 30amp breaker) there are some 16amps out there as well, not sure the increased amps for charge speed are needed (referring to 24amp vs 16amp). I know I can get an adapter to get me from a 10-30 to 6-50 plug, but not a big fan of adapters. Car replaced our second car used mainly in town. There is one destination we would like to make occasionally (200 mile round trip). Manufactures I found were Mustart, Lectron, Potato EV Charger, Primecom, and Splitvolt. Anyone out there have any recommendations on which way to go? Or does it really matter? Last note: upgrading to a 40amp circuit is not an option I am willing to consider, don't think the reduction in charging time justifies the cost of running 8 gauge wire 100 feet to accommodate 40amps. Thanks, look forward to info.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Anyone out there have any recommendations on which way to go?
I'm probably not the best to suggest options as I've been using my Bolt's OEM charge cord plugged into a 240V outlet since 2017. Zip tied my home made adapter to the charge cord to discourage anyone tempted to use it for anything but the charge cord.

Welcome to the forum.

·
1,505 Posts
Been following posts for the last few days and decided to join. Bought a 2020 Bolt EV Premiere 3 days ago and love it. Looking to upgrade home charging capability. Here is what I have in place -- 220V/30 amp single dedicated circuit on 10 gauge wire with Nema 10-30 plug in the garage (use it for a 220V saw which I no longer have). Been researching possible chargers and here is what I think I know. Max amp charge will be 24amps (80% of 30amp breaker) there are some 16amps out there as well, not sure the increased amps for charge speed are needed (referring to 24amp vs 16amp). I know I can get an adapter to get me from a 10-30 to 6-50 plug, but not a big fan of adapters. Car replaced our second car used mainly in town. There is one destination we would like to make occasionally (200 mile round trip). Manufactures I found were Mustart, Lectron, Potato EV Charger, Primecom, and Splitvolt. Anyone out there have any recommendations on which way to go? Or does it really matter? Last note: upgrading to a 40amp circuit is not an option I am willing to consider, don't think the reduction in charging time justifies the cost of running 8 gauge wire 100 feet to accommodate 40amps. Thanks, look forward to info.
You probably should think about daily charging needs (in kWh), both for your typical daily use, and possibly for the longer weekend needs. If weekends are occasional, you might kind of ignore that and go for the solution that fits the daily need and catch up over a few days if needed following weekend trips. Or, if you have the DC Fast Charge option on your Bolt, stop along the way on your weekend trips to add some juice before returning home so not as much deficit to recover.

Use the formula Volts + Amps = watts. Watts/1000 = kW to understand the charge rates at various Amps, and 66 kWh (pack size) /kW (from the EVSE) to estimate how long from 0-100%, or just use the # kWh you expect to need instead of 66.

So:

240V*16A = 3.84kW. Using "average" efficiency, this works out to about 15 miles of range per hour.
240V*24A = 5.76kW. About 23 miles of range per hour.

Some of us have built or bought adapters for the OEM cord which can be used on 240V:
240V*12A = 2.88kW or 11.5 miles per hour.

All of these would fit the circuit limitations, so you kind of have to do some calculations to see which would be most comfortable for your situation.

I do recommend looking for UL certified chargers, which rules out a lot of cheap Chinese knock-offs.

Then, consider wall mount vs portable. If you tend to go places with little charging infrastructure but RV parks, you can take a mobile, or small wall-mount with you and charge on the go.

Finally, when you narrow it down, read Amazon reviews, and maybe ask folks on the forum for feedback on specific units you are considering. Of the ones mentioned above, Lectron has a good reputation, but I can't really comment on the others.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
141 Posts
You may want to add this 16A charger to your list. I've been using it as a weekend travel charger for a year and it's worked fine. ( I use the OEM charger on 120V at home.) Goes on sale at Costco 2-3 times a year for $239 or $249. I use it with a 6-20 socket, so haven't needed the included 10-30 adapter.

That is a good price and should just plug and play into my 10-30 Nema dryer outlet. I may go for it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I would like to both welcome and commend you on your post. This is by far the best researched first home charging post that I've seen on these forums.

At the end of the day, all EVSEs are smart safety extension cords with a small bit of electronics to control power flow and communications with the car. So, like all extension cords it comes down to 3 questions: 1. How long does it have to be? 2. How much power does it have to deliver? 3. How much does it cost?

I would posit though that none of the items that you listed are any more reliable than the OEM EVSE that comes with the car. But if the use of a one inch adapter is out (as you could switch out your wall plate for a 6-20 receptacle to plug into), then I guess it's not an option. After switching the recepticle, it would look like this:

This last part isn't specifically for @Monte. The forum safety patrol will likely wander by to comment on the potential danger of having 240V on the end of the adapter where the EVSE plugs in. This lockable cover can be used to secure the setup from tampering. Take a look at it locked and in action:

Please come back when you've made a choice and give us a review.

Welcome again,

ga2500ev

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You may want to add this 16A charger to your list. I've been using it as a weekend travel charger for a year and it's worked fine. ( I use the OEM charger on 120V at home.) Goes on sale at Costco 2-3 times a year for $239 or $249. I use it with a 6-20 socket, so haven't needed the included 10-30 adapter.

I have the 240v/32amp Axfast Accell one, it has worked just fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You probably should think about daily charging needs (in kWh), both for your typical daily use, and possibly for the longer weekend needs. If weekends are occasional, you might kind of ignore that and go for the solution that fits the daily need and catch up over a few days if needed following weekend trips. Or, if you have the DC Fast Charge option on your Bolt, stop along the way on your weekend trips to add some juice before returning home so not as much deficit to recover.

Use the formula Volts + Amps = watts. Watts/1000 = kW to understand the charge rates at various Amps, and 66 kWh (pack size) /kW (from the EVSE) to estimate how long from 0-100%, or just use the # kWh you expect to need instead of 66.

So:

240V*16A = 3.84kW. Using "average" efficiency, this works out to about 15 miles of range per hour.
240V*24A = 5.76kW. About 23 miles of range per hour.

Some of us have built or bought adapters for the OEM cord which can be used on 240V:
240V*12A = 2.88kW or 11.5 miles per hour.

All of these would fit the circuit limitations, so you kind of have to do some calculations to see which would be most comfortable for your situation.

I do recommend looking for UL certified chargers, which rules out a lot of cheap Chinese knock-offs.

Then, consider wall mount vs portable. If you tend to go places with little charging infrastructure but RV parks, you can take a mobile, or small wall-mount with you and charge on the go.

Finally, when you narrow it down, read Amazon reviews, and maybe ask folks on the forum for feedback on specific units you are considering. Of the ones mentioned above, Lectron has a good reputation, but I can't really comment on the others.
Thanks for the input. I am leaning towards a charger that gives 16amps in charge. You kind of read between the lines and realize we don't rely on the Bolt to be our savior to get somewhere. I have a really good Truck to that, it just does not get great mileage. The Lectron comes from Lowes and is probably the most affordable of all the chargers. The only drawback was it only has a 90 day warranty from the manufacturer. Although Lowes may offer an extended warranty. I will have to check that out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use the clipper creek 30 Amp (LCS-30P) (24A continuous). It's been trouble free and I hear customer support is fabulous. Also made in USA.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I use the clipper creek 30 Amp (LCS-30P) (24A continuous). It's been trouble free and I hear customer support is fabulous. Also made in USA.
But isn't that unit running like $515? That's a ridiculous amount of money to pay for a glorified extension cord IMHO.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
13 Posts
But isn't that unit running like $515? That's a ridiculous amount of money to pay for a glorified extension cord IMHO.

ga2500ev
you can pay less for junk... but I choose made in America and also a company that will stand behind their product for years. I like to buy things once.

·
1,505 Posts
Not if it is (partially) paid for by utility companies.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input. Did an On-line chat with them and asked if they had chargers using a Nema 10-30 plug. Response was, "NO", it has to have a ground. So, then I stated there are other companies out there that sell the chargers with the Nema 10-30 plug (i.e., Primecom, Splitvolt, Potato EV, Mustart, etc). They sent me a link to look at, which just shows the picture of a Nema 14-30 plug. So now the question is, "Is the Nema 10-30 grounded?" Been using it for years to run a 220V Table Saw. Have a call through to the electrician that put the 220V/30 amp line in with the Nema 10-30 to match the table saw.

·
1,505 Posts
Thanks for the input. Did an On-line chat with them and asked if they had chargers using a Nema 10-30 plug. Response was, "NO", it has to have a ground. So, then I stated there are other companies out there that sell the chargers with the Nema 10-30 plug (i.e., Primecom, Splitvolt, Potato EV, Mustart, etc). They sent me a link to look at, which just shows the picture of a Nema 14-30 plug. So now the question is, "Is the Nema 10-30 grounded?" Been using it for years to run a 220V Table Saw. Have a call through to the electrician that put the 220V/30 amp line in with the Nema 10-30 to match the table saw.
I used 10-50 for three years, technically it is Hot\Hot\Neutral like 10-30. My Siemens Versa Charge worked fine on that circuit.

Typically, neutral and ground are semi-synonymous. Neutral is typically attached to the ground bar on the main panel, so the neutral may actually satisfy the grounding requirements of the charging cord.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So far what I have been told is the ground is at the car, much like a dryer using a 3 pronge plug. Also, when a plug like the 10-30 is installed the electrician is suppose to have it grounded at the circuit box. Anyway, if I am all wet behind the ears let me know. The reason I believe what I am being told true is companies wouldn't sell a charger with a Nema 10-30 plug if it did not meet basic electrical codes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used 10-50 for three years, technically it is Hot\Hot\Neutral like 10-30. My Siemens Versa Charge worked fine on that circuit.

Typically, neutral and ground are semi-synonymous. Neutral is typically attached to the ground bar on the main panel, so the neutral may actually satisfy the grounding requirements of the charging cord.
That appears to be what I being told by techs from various companies that sell the chargers with a Nema 10-30.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I think I have made my decision. Going to sleep on it tonight. But I think the route to go is with Primecom. They have an Adjustable 32amp portable charger (adjusts 10amp, 16amp, 20amp, 24amp and 32amp), has the Nema 10-30 plug, comes with mounting hardware for cable (30') and car plug, has 1 year warranty, and is UL Listed. Ships free out of California and has a 24/7 Tech Support line. Cost is $379. Is a little expensive, but guess you get what you pay for. All the reviews look good. SO, IF ANYONE HAS A NEGATIVE TO SHARE ABOUT PRIMECOM, PLEASE SPEAK UP!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well I think I have made my decision. Going to sleep on it tonight. But I think the route to go is with Primecom. They have an Adjustable 32amp portable charger (adjusts 10amp, 16amp, 20amp, 24amp and 32amp), has the Nema 10-30 plug, comes with mounting hardware for cable (30') and car plug, has 1 year warranty, and is UL Listed. Ships free out of California and has a 24/7 Tech Support line. Cost is $379. Is a little expensive, but guess you get what you pay for. All the reviews look good. SO, IF ANYONE HAS A NEGATIVE TO SHARE ABOUT PRIMECOM, PLEASE SPEAK UP!
I too have been considering getting an EVSE to plug in to my 10-30 dryer outlet, but also have concerns about the ground. I‘m definitely going to have an electrician look at the situation before I proceed, but that’s just me!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I too have been considering getting an EVSE to plug in to my 10-30 dryer outlet, but also have concerns about the ground.
A 10-30 has a connection to ground through the neutral. Since an EVSE does not use neutral it is perfectly acceptable for it to use the neutral wire as a safety ground.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts