Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I finally got my Bolt today, and now I'm looking for a good level 2 charger for my house. I wanted to see if anyone has some thoughts on the Jekayla portable smart ev charger (32A, 7.68 KW) (I wish I could add a link, but since this is my first post, I can't :(). I already have a 240v with a 50 amp home circuit terminating in a NEMA 14-50 in my garage.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Both JuiceBox and Clipper Creek offer NEMA 14-50 plugs. I have not heard of Jekayla. I love my Siemens VersiCharge, but it has the NEMA 6-50 plug. I made a sturdy adapter (14-50 plug to 6-50 outlet) extension cord for taking my VersiCharge EVSE to the hinterlands (RV campsites in the "Level 2 station-less" mountains of WV).

·
Registered
592 Posts
JuiceBox and Clipper Creek seem to be the more popular ones. I have both, they're excellent, I'd recommend a ClipperCreek with the JuiceBox addition as you get the advantage of both. The built in coil loop and holster plug of the CC, and the Cloud control and monitoring of JuiceBox.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I've started looking at Juicebox. Besides the wi-fi/app is there any other reasons to choose the newer Juicebox models over the classic (first generation) ones?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ 1st gen Juicebox EVSE's were kits you soldered together yourself or paid extra to have them factory assembled... no matter what form you got them in- they were not UL approved.

Someone here recently posted that the new versions (only available pre-assembled) are now UL approved?
You need to verify that if you're interested.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Thanks! I've started looking at Juicebox. Besides the wi-fi/app is there any other reasons to choose the newer Juicebox models over the classic (first generation) ones?
I think there might be a bit of a misunderstanding there. When I bought mine (6 months ago) they were selling the JB 40 and the JB 40 Pro, with the Pro offering internet connectivity. Neither were UL listed at the time but they both came fully assembled and ready for use.

Now their models are UL listed. From what I remember the "classic" was not a previous gen unit, but was the latest UL listed unit that went without internet connectivity. However I no longer see the classic unit listed on their site. Just the 40 Pro, 40 Lite, and 75 Pro.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
This is a 1st gen juicebox... it's actually the one I personally built...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think there might be a bit of a misunderstanding there. When I bought mine (6 months ago) they were selling the JB 40 and the JB 40 Pro, with the Pro offering internet connectivity. Neither were UL listed at the time but they both came fully assembled and ready for use.

Now their models are UL listed. From what I remember the "classic" was not a previous gen unit, but was the latest UL listed unit that went without internet connectivity. However I no longer see the classic unit listed on their site. Just the 40 Pro, 40 Lite, and 75 Pro.
Yes, this is what I meant (sorry for the confusion!). There are still some 3rd party retailers selling the units without internet connectivity.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If it is for the house than the clipper creek HCS-40 is the way to go. Top shelf reliability and a great charger for the Bolt. You spend a little more but you get what you pay for. They are known for their quality and service. I changed my breaker from 50 to 40 amp and using the 80% rule, it brings me right in line with the Bolt requirements. Anything above that is overkill in the Bolt.

I am very happy with mine...but portable it is not.

I am familiar the Jekalya 32 amp unit but it is not cheap. It is far more portable than any clipper creek unit however and will charge the Bolt quickly.

My philosophy is buy the best unit you can afford for home use and look for something cheap for the road if necessary. Many new people are not yet familiar with the difference between level 2 16amp and level 2 32 amp charging. To me, the difference is night and day.

Since the Bolt is the first true over 200 mile car a 16amp charger is way, way too slow, even for the road. Those that drive volts, leafs and others with much smaller batteries seem fine with 16amp charging.

Zencar makes a similar 32amp unit with good flexibility that allows you to change the input amperage to suit your needs based on what breaker size you are plugging into. You can "shake" the unit and it will go from 8 to 16 and up to 32amps. The newer unit uses a swipe card to change amperage on the front of the unit. There are 2 models and they are both available on amazon...but again not cheap. I cannot attest to reliability.

For no frills charging, I have found a 32amp USA assembled unit for around $250 which i will use at work. I cannot attest to its reliability or anything else because it has not arrived yet but i will post a review in the forum once i receive and try out next week. This is significantly cheaper than any other 32amp unit so i figured I would take one for the team and check it out. It could be a win/ win if it is reliable...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just tested my Bolt with Jekayla on a new NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage. First impression is very good. The unit is lightweight and for true portability comes in a cute carrying case (slightly bigger than a laptop case of yore). Jekayla has a tiny LCD screen with basic charging information -- voltage, amps, kW power and kWh delivered, unit temperature and time elapsed.

Total capital spending was just over $500, including $107 for the 50 amp outlet/wiring/breaker and $399 for the charger, free shipping on Amazon.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for everyone's input! in the end I went with the Jukebox without internet connectivity and so far it's been working great with my Bolt.

Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts