Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
What is the MSRP? Is it the all-in price?
MSRP for hardware only:

The GM dealer Aerovironment one: $699 + taxes, pick up at dealer
The Aerovironment one: $699 + taxes, if residential unit free UPS shipping within U.S. lower 48

·
Registered
322 Posts
Don't take the bait!

I'm glad they're offering an EVSE, but informed customers will get an equivalent EVSE for cheaper (ClipperCreek HCS-40) or a better EVSE for the same price (ChargePoint Home). Many other options exist.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Doesn’t make sense. What dealer wants to have to stock a clunker of an accessory that doesn’t go on the car ? And likely makes little profit on its own. He can’t hardly keep track of his parts/accessory stock the way it is now !

Even if Chevrolet is thinking they’ll eventually have a promotion where they’ll throw in the EVSE-RS gratis with your new Volt or Bolt deal. It’ll be more effective to ship the EVSE’s en masse from third party source rather than force dealer to stock it.

BTW:
To: Dear Mr Goodwrench Sir or Madam/Ms:
Are you being compensated ? by: the sponsor of this site ? a dealer or dealer association ? GM/Chevrolet ? … what’s your interest ?? full disclosure please.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Suggestions:

1.) Any “supporting vendor” must indicate such status in his/her profile

2.) Moderator to weed out / delete superfluous and distracting threads created by any supporting vendor. For example, the subject of the “official” Chevrolet EVSE-RS was already beat to death in an earlier thread

·
Registered
979 Posts
So how does the gig work, with enthusiast-crowdposting websites like this one ? Seems that this one is controlled by Verticalscope (compatriots! out of Toronto).

How does one find out who’s paying Verticalscope for this site ? Probably Chevrolet is paying eh.

Great way to get customer info (for what it’s worth) and take some pressure off the dealer service network and the customer complaint center. As lots of people would rather get the “scoop” online from other seemingly unbiased and informed enthusiasts. And lots of informed enthusiasts are more than happy to share. I’d watch out for MrGoodwrench though, until he/she comes out of the you-know-what.

And I still think this thread’s subject of beauty is really 30 Amps only.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've been using a GE WattStation 240 volt 30 amp charger at home with my Nissan Leaf. The plug it uses is SAE J1772.
Will this same charger be compatible with the Bolt EV?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've been using a GE WattStation 240 volt 30 amp charger at home with my Nissan Leaf. The plug it uses is SAE J1772.
Will this same charger be compatible with the Bolt EV?
Yes a SAE J1772 220 charger will work with the BOLT.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Replaced my dead Voltec unit with a ClipperCreek HCS-40. Working great.

Had a pocket turbocharger, and it burned itself up trying to charge the Bolt. Melted the plastic in the EVSE housing. Was supposed to be 24 to 30 amp, L1 or L2. Bought a 50 amp OpenEVSE kit with plans to reuse the AC power cable and the J1772 cable. Turns out the j1772 cable has very small wire inside, AND very confusing...two strands, each with 4 wires all the same gauge(16?), one red, one black, one green, and one white. NO smaller pilot wire. Did not trust it, so ordered a real 40 amp rated cable from OpenEVSE. Will plan to finish the project in a few days.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
What pocket turbocharger did you use? I'm unfamiliar with this product and don't want to accidentally melt something in the future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts